Join Early Retirement Today

For the Car Guys Red Flag Gullo Ford
Old 02-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the Car Guys Red Flag Gullo Ford

Last spring I bought a 2002 Mustang 6 cyl manual . It is kind of a toy it was very inexpensive . I was lucky I got it from the original owner .
So I decide to take it to Gullo Ford here on 45 in Houston , I pull into the quick service lane and a guy comes out . What do you need . I tell him he tells me I have go to a Service Advisor ..No big deal . I give the guy the old oil change sticker and tell him I want what has been in my car ( Synthetic ) Of course he doesn't listen , tells me he knows what I need . Finally he gets mad and slams his hand down on his desk . I go talk to his manager he was worthless . Ok we get on the same page I see a guy wheeling a cart up he is going to jump my Mustang what ?? He tells me it won't start doors open all . I asked did he immobilize the alarm yes sir ! Let me see my key I press the button the fob and start the car . Ok we are on the same page . I am looking at the New Mustangs and a guy comes up and tells me my transmission is locked up / I know you will not believe this ! He is in the car trying to move it with the emergency brake on . (Release the brake ) I ask him if he can drive a manual ( oh sure ) He takes it back . When finished I am told the rear seal is leaking Umm the lady I bought the car from was 89 and kept the car maintained . Replaced the clutch at 69K and the car has 80K and the rear seal was replaced along with the clutch . Jokingly I tell the service manager I have Hondas and never have I replaced rear seal his answer ( Oh that's a Honda )
NEVER AGAIN WILL I GO TO GULLO FORD . I know you will not believe this but cross my heart it happened.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would find an independent place that works on older fords. I never bring my cars to the dealer.
lakerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Stay away from Gullo. Actually, stay away from all dealerships in Conroe, Texas.

I brought my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe up to Weisner GMC Hyundai in Conroe for a recall (fix a clip). They texted me saying we need $2,300 worth of repairs. Actually, all it really needed was an oil change, which I do myself. Crooks.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I worked 24 years for an auto manufacturer and was also responsible for our department's fleet cars. I was good friends with many dealership general service managers, and they too took advantage of our pocketbooks. It just is that dealer service departments' overhead is very high.

Do yourself a favor and never, never take a car to a new car dealership for service unless the factory is paying on a warranty claim or recall. Go find yourself a quality independent mechanic shop to handle all your maintenance needs.

Thankfully, the last 550,000 miles I've put on new cars have never required any warranty claims. And I do my own brake work.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

I drive a 2006 Honda Ridgeline always serviced at John Eagle Honda in Houston ( not cheap ) But never have they messed anything up . This truck has 180k miles . I will NEVER buy another Ford if they are this fragile . But what AJA is saying is true , from Huntsville TX through The Woodlands any type of service I have needed has always been Half A . It is like these people think they have the market cornered .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
I drive a 2006 Honda Ridgeline always serviced at John Eagle Honda in Houston ( not cheap ) But never have they messed anything up . This truck has 180k miles . I will NEVER buy another Ford if they are this fragile . But what AJA is saying is true , from Huntsville TX through The Woodlands any type of service I have needed has always been Half A . It is like these people think they have the market cornered .
My bold above. That's exactly what they think. I've tried to buy cars and trucks in Conroe for 25 years and never cut a deal. Drove to Houston area dealers and bought the same vehicle for at least 15% less.

The only reason I brought the Santa Fe to Weisner was for a recall and those slime balls tried to sell me services I truly would not do and are not required. I'll have to admit that the front brake pad replacement they quoted for $900 was a legit need, and I replaced them last month with Brembo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads for $160 in my garage in two hours.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Last spring I bought a 2002 Mustang 6 cyl manual . It is kind of a toy it was very inexpensive . I was lucky I got it from the original owner .
So I decide to take it to Gullo Ford here on 45 in Houston , I pull into the quick service lane and a guy comes out . What do you need . I tell him he tells me I have go to a Service Advisor ..No big deal . I give the guy the old oil change sticker and tell him I want what has been in my car ( Synthetic ) Of course he doesn't listen , tells me he knows what I need . Finally he gets mad and slams his hand down on his desk . I go talk to his manager he was worthless . Ok we get on the same page I see a guy wheeling a cart up he is going to jump my Mustang what ?? He tells me it won't start doors open all . I asked did he immobilize the alarm yes sir ! Let me see my key I press the button the fob and start the car . Ok we are on the same page . I am looking at the New Mustangs and a guy comes up and tells me my transmission is locked up / I know you will not believe this ! He is in the car trying to move it with the emergency brake on . (Release the brake ) I ask him if he can drive a manual ( oh sure ) He takes it back . When finished I am told the rear seal is leaking Umm the lady I bought the car from was 89 and kept the car maintained . Replaced the clutch at 69K and the car has 80K and the rear seal was replaced along with the clutch . Jokingly I tell the service manager I have Hondas and never have I replaced rear seal his answer ( Oh that's a Honda )
NEVER AGAIN WILL I GO TO GULLO FORD . I know you will not believe this but cross my heart it happened.
More evidence of why I bought 2 Tesla's.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
Do you really think a Ford dealer service department is going to know what to do to fix your Tesla's brakes or broken door switch? And don't tell us things won't break as the Tesla has hundreds of common failure parts as an ICE car.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Tesla’s never need repair? Sweet. For only twice the cost of an average car, you can chase electrical charging stations around the country, going way out of your way but you never have a repair.

FWIW, I respect Tesla and movement to electric vehicles, but the infrastructure is just not there yet. Thanks for spending a ton of money to be a first adopter and getting the kinks worked out of the system.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To keep one as a spare?

Quote:
Tesla owners fume about delays for service
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...e-13112104.php

Don't let that ruffle your feathers, you set yourself up for that one!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Tesla’s never need repair? Sweet. For only twice the cost of an average car, you can chase electrical charging stations around the country, going way out of your way but you never have a repair.

FWIW, I respect Tesla and movement to electric vehicles, but the infrastructure is just not there yet. Thanks for spending a ton of money to be a first adopter and getting the kinks worked out of the system.
Neither of mine have needed repair. When I see the inside of a Tesla service place I'll let you know.

I bought in 2018, not sure if you consider that early adopter or not.

I haven't driven across the country yet either. I have only used the superchargers in my area to get my free electricity.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Do you really think a Ford dealer service department is going to know what to do to fix your Tesla's brakes or broken door switch? And don't tell us things won't break as the Tesla has hundreds of common failure parts as an ICE car.
There's 17 moving parts in a Tesla drivetrain, and about 200 in your F150.

Why would anyone go to a Ford dealership with a Tesla? My Tesla service center is in Burbank, CA.

I read you saved about $750 or so doing your brakes. Thats a great move. Ev's rarely need brakes though. Its called "one pedal driving". You take your foot off the accelerator, car slows down due to regenerative braking. It charges the battery. If you want an abrupt stop, you can use the brakes, like an ICE car. Rarely utilized, so brake repairs are not needed.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
To keep one as a spare?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...e-13112104.php

Don't let that ruffle your feathers, you set yourself up for that one!

-ERD50
Another attempt from this poster to belittle anyone who disagrees with him.
Same as he did to poster Ready, who I haven't seen around in a while. Same as he did to poster Eroscott, who went away as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same as he did to poster Ready, who I haven't seen around in a while. Same as he did to poster Eroscott, who went away as well.
Geez, it was a joke!

You keep waving the Tesla/EV flag with all positives, no negatives, expect a little ribbing. Especially when you come here and interject this into a Ford thread!

I won't respond to those other comments, mods would not like it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Both members have posted very recently—1/30 and 2/3.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Neither of mine have needed repair. When I see the inside of a Tesla service place I'll let you know.

I bought in 2018, not sure if you consider that early adopter or not.

I haven't driven across the country yet either. I have only used the superchargers in my area to get my free electricity.
I’d be surprised if any car bought in 2018 needed to be in for service yet. Go ahead and take that cross country trip and let me know what you think. Should be fun to cross through Texas or Montana. I did a search on charging stations once using the Tesla site and it took me (hypothetically) about an hour and a half out of the way (about 100 miles) to make it work. Plus, just about every exit on every interstate has a gas station. When that’s true for EV charging stations, I’m in. I really like the idea of getting rid of gas, but it’s not ready yet.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
There's 17 moving parts in a Tesla drivetrain, and about 200 in your F150.

Why would anyone go to a Ford dealership with a Tesla? My Tesla service center is in Burbank, CA.

I read you saved about $750 or so doing your brakes. Thats a great move. Ev's rarely need brakes though. Its called "one pedal driving". You take your foot off the accelerator, car slows down due to regenerative braking. It charges the battery. If you want an abrupt stop, you can use the brakes, like an ICE car. Rarely utilized, so brake repairs are not needed.
My DW worked in a motor repair shop (that’s where we met). Trust me, electric motors break just like any other mechanical part. Some last longer than others and depending on environmental conditions, could last a good long time, but they don’t last forever. Neither do batteries. Neither do suspension parts. Bring your Tesla this way to Michigan and see how it does on our moon cratered roads.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Both members have posted very recently—1/30 and 2/3.
Eroscott's last post was 7 days ago. He logged on 2/3.

I know you are helping, and I appreciate it. The world needs more of that.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Eroscott's last post was 7 days ago. He logged on 2/3.

I know you are helping, and I appreciate it. The world needs more of that.
Thought it was clear that one posted 1/30 and one posted 2/3, of the two posters you called out for not being seen here lately. But okay.