For The Star Trek Fans

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have always been fascinated with television production sets. It's a weird thing, I know but whatever. Anyway, there is a fella up in NY that has recreated many of the sets from the original show from actual blueprints. I was never a big ST fan, but it's fascinating enough that I might try to get up there to see it. Oh, the beauty of being retired. How many people can drop everything and take a road trip to see a recreated Hollywood set? :D

Star Trek The Original Series Set Tour to Open

That's really cool stuff. When I lived in LA I had a few movie set companies as clients and spent time on their property and in the construction shops. The stuff they do is amazing.

A few years ago there was a special (extra price) exhibition of Star Trek memorabilia and sets at our local county fair. Being the nerd that I am - I had to go. It was pretty cool.

That's really cool stuff. When I lived in LA I had a few movie set companies as clients and spent time on their property and in the construction shops. The stuff they do is amazing.

Very true. I am a big fan of the "Easter Eggs" that are often planted. Seinfeld is an example. In every episode, there is a Superman figurine stashed in Jerry's apartment. Sometimes they are easy to find...other times...not so much.

Reminds me of when I worked at Chili's. They *used to* (not sure if they still do) hang a single picture upside down in the restaurant. The story was that when they opened the 1st store, someone inadvertently hung a picture upside down. They figured that was good luck, so all the new stores were required to have a single, upside down picture.

Very cool. Enjoy your trip!

I lived in LA for almost 20 years, and have always been in awe of the folk who do set construction. In fact, anyone who starts with an idea, and uses their brain and hands to actually make it, gets much respect from me.

Cool about the original set tour.

I thought was cool already in the episode of The Next Generation with Scotty as guest and he went to the holodeck's creation of the old bridge.

Last edited:
Not that far from Burlington VT and Saratoga Springs NY, both of which are worth a visit.

my nephew and his wife just started their residencies at u of vt. I need to visit them.

I had a chance to visit the set for Hobbiton, from Lord Of The Rings. The first movie was just styrofoam and not really built to live on. Once realizing there's money in the tourism aspect, they did a more durable set. It's a great tour! At the end of the tour, you are at the Green Dragon and get a complementary beverage.

I've only watched one of the ST reboot movies. Sad that the actor who played Chekov died in a freak car accident.

Also, looks like the producer has no plans to keep Chekov's character in future movies. I think, despite the actor's unexpected death, that Chekov's character would continue. Respectfully, Maybe not in a very next movie, but if future ones. But, I'm not the producer :D. IMO, the characters are bigger than the people in real life.

Star Trek producer JJ Abrams has said he will not recast the role of Pavel Chekov in future movies, following the death of actor Anton Yelchin.
Yelchin died aged 27 in June, the result of a freak accident involving his car. His fellow cast members and crewmates paid tribute at the time, with Abrams calling him "funny as hell, and supremely talented".

Star Trek producer JJ Abrams won't replace late actor Anton Yelchin for Pavel Chekov | WIRED UK

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing the most recent ST installment soon, perhaps this weekend.

Now that ST is in an alternate time line they can do whatever they want. Chekov could be ressurected in a different body thanks to some alien device. Who knows?

One thing they need to stop doing is crippling the Enterprise within the first 30 minutes of the movie. Then they hobble through the rest of the movie with all sorts of technical problems that are supposed to have us on the edge of our seats, but don't. That is getting tiring.

What I want to see is a fully functional Enterprise with where the Captain says to his crew "I am sick and tired of this arrogant so-and-so threatening us and the galaxy. Let's show him what the flagship of the Federation fleet can do." Then using a combination of superior planning and tactics as well as a working starship they go on to pulverize the bad guys.

Now that ST is in an alternate time line they can do whatever they want. Chekov could be ressurected in a different body thanks to some alien device. Who knows?

Actually, I meant to say that I hope his character would continue. But disappointed that he will not. Though not one of the major characters, odd to think of ST without Chekov. I really like your plot line. That would sound very plausible in ST plots. Just as much as in TOS when Spock died and came back. I'm sure viewers would understand under the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom