Join Early Retirement Today

Re: ? for the Well Traveled
Old 07-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I have been going to Door County for 30 years now. It is better than ever. The resturants are a much higher quality than they used to be. Yes the goats are still on the roof and that resturant is the worst one in Door County. That is the worst tourist trap on the Penisula. I try not to even look at any more.

Yes my wife and I visted Penisula Park last week. Climbed the tower. Also took the ferry to Washington Island - That is remote. Not many folks out there.

The area is getting more built up, but is nothing as congested as New England. I think it's better now than it's ever been. I may post a few Pics this weekend.
Door is great - I have done the fish boil at the White Gull Inn - quite the do there.

If you pass Ellison Bay please give an update on what happened and what the town looks like now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneboy
Door is great - I have done the fish boil at the White Gull Inn - quite the do there.

If you pass Ellison Bay please give an update on what happened and what the town looks like now.
I ate breakfast at Ellison Bay last Thursday. The town is fine. The old Pioneer Store is gone, and another building that was the resort is also gone. Just 2 buildings gone. - I ate at the resturant next door - The Viking Grill.

It was a Propane Explosion from the resort. The Store did not even have propane but it leaked underground in the limestone rock beneath the store. I think they are going to rebuild
Old 07-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

RE: Canadian locations: September is too late for Alberta.. I would support Victoria as first choice (English/Brit flavour and somewhat quaint), followed by Quebec City for a combination European/North American flavour, followed by Halifax which would have similarities to Bar Harbor. Easy enough to drive in too.

I have not mentioned the big cities (e.g. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) since the OP didn't seem that keen on big urban areas, but all three have very good public transit systems (including subways and rapid transit). Don't think you would need, or want, rental cars in any of those 3.

No passports yet needed as already mentioned (birth certificate and driver's license with a photo).

All said and done... many wonderful places in America too as already mentioned (Bar Harbor, etc...) although I don't much like the big cities for R and R.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
RE: Canadian locations:* September is too late for Alberta..
I remember camping up in north central BC around August 15. Got up one morning and fall had arrived. I was used to that in the mountains in the US, but near sea level it was a surprise. I got in my car and headed back to Washington!

Ha
Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
Alternatively, consider staying accross the creek in NJ. There are some good and much more affordable hotels there within walking distance of the subway/rail system.
Do you know which cities have subway service? Do these systems hook up with the NY MTA? Do you by any chance have a link to their schedules, so I can get an idea of how late they run?

Thanks for any info you might have--

Ha
Old 07-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was buying groceries this morning, the checker told me he and his wife always order an Entertainment book for the area where they're traveling. They use the 2/1 coupons and save a lot. It's a good idea.... There's a spot on the website that asks for city or zip...

http://www.entertainment.com/discount/home.shtml
Old 07-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Do you know which cities have subway service? Do these systems hook up with the NY MTA? Do you by any chance have a link to their schedules, so I can get an idea of how late they run?
Hm, let's see. The last time I found myself in NYC in May/September and had to find a reasonably priced hotel close to Manhattan, I ended up in Doubletree Club Jersey City (201-499-2400, 455 Washington Blvd,
Jersey City, NJ 07310). It's less than half a mile from a PATH station, which will take you to Manhattan 24x7, although between 12:30am and 5:30am the trains run every 30 minutes. Here is their full schedule.

On the plus side, it's a pretty nice hotel, at least for the NYC area, and it's close to the action. On the minus side, I think I paid $169/night when I stayed there in September some 10 years ago while Expedia quotes $229/night for this September. Inflation, what can you do?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

If you go to Acadia/Bar Harbor wind your way down the road to Camden, Maine for part of a day. It's a beautiful coastal town probably one-third of the way toward Portland, ME along the coast highway.

If you go to Victoria, BC, wind your way over to Sooke Harbour. It's about 15 or 20 miles west. Stay and/or eat at Sooke Harbour House with nice gardens and view of the beach on the Juan de Fuca Strait. Great food and beautiful setting.
See sookeharbourhouse.com
Old 07-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Scrooge, thanks for the info.

Ha
Old 07-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Scrooge, thanks for the info.
You are welcome, but I should probably add that there is another potential consideration there. Parts of Newark and Jersey City are high crime areas. At the time I thought nothing of going for a walk in Times Square at 3am, but I wouldn't have ventured out in a bad part of Newark.

This particular hotel was in the middle of a fairly nice riverside park area and far away (many hundreds of yards) from any other buildings, but it's possible that things have changed. If you plan to walk to the nearest PATH station at night, you may want to check the current situation ahead of time.

Also, in case you don't know, Manhattan taxicab drivers tend to be less than knowledgeable about areas outside of Manhattan. They will gladly agree to take you any place anywhere -- it's profitable -- but their ability to get you there in under 2 hours is an entirely different question.