? for the Well Traveled

When I was buying groceries this morning, the checker told me he and his wife always order an Entertainment book for the area where they're traveling. They use the 2/1 coupons and save a lot. It's a good idea.... There's a spot on the website that asks for city or zip...

http://www.entertainment.com/discount/home.shtml

HaHa said:
Do you know which cities have subway service? Do these systems hook up with the NY MTA? Do you by any chance have a link to their schedules, so I can get an idea of how late they run?

Hm, let's see. The last time I found myself in NYC in May/September and had to find a reasonably priced hotel close to Manhattan, I ended up in Doubletree Club Jersey City (201-499-2400, 455 Washington Blvd,
Jersey City, NJ 07310). It's less than half a mile from a PATH station, which will take you to Manhattan 24x7, although between 12:30am and 5:30am the trains run every 30 minutes. Here is their full schedule.

On the plus side, it's a pretty nice hotel, at least for the NYC area, and it's close to the action. On the minus side, I think I paid $169/night when I stayed there in September some 10 years ago while Expedia quotes $229/night for this September. Inflation, what can you do? :(

If you go to Acadia/Bar Harbor wind your way down the road to Camden, Maine for part of a day. It's a beautiful coastal town probably one-third of the way toward Portland, ME along the coast highway.

If you go to Victoria, BC, wind your way over to Sooke Harbour. It's about 15 or 20 miles west. Stay and/or eat at Sooke Harbour House with nice gardens and view of the beach on the Juan de Fuca Strait. Great food and beautiful setting.
See sookeharbourhouse.com

Scrooge, thanks for the info.

Ha

HaHa said:
Scrooge, thanks for the info.

You are welcome, but I should probably add that there is another potential consideration there. Parts of Newark and Jersey City are high crime areas. At the time I thought nothing of going for a walk in Times Square at 3am, but I wouldn't have ventured out in a bad part of Newark.

This particular hotel was in the middle of a fairly nice riverside park area and far away (many hundreds of yards) from any other buildings, but it's possible that things have changed. If you plan to walk to the nearest PATH station at night, you may want to check the current situation ahead of time.

Also, in case you don't know, Manhattan taxicab drivers tend to be less than knowledgeable about areas outside of Manhattan. They will gladly agree to take you any place anywhere -- it's profitable -- but their ability to get you there in under 2 hours is an entirely different question.

Back
Top Bottom