Join Early Retirement Today

? for the Well Traveled
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

? for the Well Traveled

My DIL and I are in need of some fun and unstressful R&R. We would like to go for a week to a town or city that you can either get around in easily with public transportation or using a car rental. We don't mind driving in small towns but driving in congested cities would be too stressful for us. The town or city would have to be easily accessible from the airport. This would be in September so we are looking for someplace with nice Fall temps. I am in Phoenix and she is in Tampa so tired of the heat. We want a place, maybe in New England where it would be cool in the evenings and 60's or 70's during the daytime. We want to relax, enjoy nice dinners and possibly do some great shopping. I am sure also that there are probably other nice Northern cities or towns that would fit the bill besides New England. Neither one of us have been to many places in the US, so we would like to stay Continental US. Most of you seem to have traveled extensively! Where have you been that might fit what we are looking for? We would love to stay in an area where there are B&B's but a hotel or motel would be fine too.

Thanks!
Momtwo
Momtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ? for the Well Traveled
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Montreal and Quebec City are wonderful and both a bit exotic. English is widely understood, if not encouraged.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try Bar Harbor, Maine and enjoy Acadia National Park while you are at it.* I've gone there a few times and I've enjoyed it every time.

http://www.barharborinfo.com/
Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #4

Great suggestions so far. Also...

Boston--perhaps Concord and/or Cape Cod. No car necessary if you stay within Boston/Cambridge.
San Francisco--no car needed unless you want to drive up Mt Tam or to Muir Woods.
Central CA--Santa Cruz/Monterey/Carmel, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obisbo.

Charleston, SC would fit your bill in October, but not September. You'd need a car to get to plantation gardens and the beach, but not to get around the city.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Montreal and Quebec City are wonderful and both a bit exotic. English is widely understood, if not encouraged.
Rich,

Do you need a passport to go to Canada? Is public transportation easy? I will have to go take a look at both of these places on the web. Thanks.

Momtwo
Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Try Bar Harbor, Maine and enjoy Acadia National Park while you are at it.* I've gone there a few times and I've enjoyed it every time.

http://www.barharborinfo.com/
This area looks wonderful! Thanks. It looks like it would be easy to drive around!

Momtwo
Old 07-27-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Great suggestions so far. Also...

Boston--perhaps Concord and/or Cape Cod. No car necessary if you stay within Boston/Cambridge.
San Francisco--no car needed unless you want to drive up Mt Tam or to Muir Woods.
Central CA--Santa Cruz/Monterey/Carmel, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obisbo.

Charleston, SC would fit your bill in October, but not September. You'd need a car to get to plantation gardens and the beach, but not to get around the city.
I am loving everyone's suggestions! I am off to take a look at temps in these areas too!

Momtwo
Old 07-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A bunch of great suggestions. Boston and SF fit the big city bill. Central CA for the small coastal town feel. If all y'all are food and wine types, napa/sonoma is a great fall spot.

Whichever one you pick, check back in. I've lived in or spent considerable time in all of those areas and can offer lots of touristy things to do.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwo
Rich,

Do you need a passport to go to Canada?
Momtwo
Not from our Canadian friends, its our Homeland (in)Security that requires a passport to get back into the US.

As to other places in Canada look at Vancouver & Victoria. Maybe Calgary & Edmonton & the Rockies in the area.

In the US SF is cool in the summer, also Portlant & Seattle.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

victoria bc( my home). Beautiful this time of yr. Exellent public transpo, good exchange rate for you, amazing walks, very safe. Not trying to blow horn....
mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Not from our Canadian friends, its our Homeland (in)Security that requires a passport to get back into the US.
Not until 12/31/06 (sea, air) and 12/31/07 (land) is a passport required to get back into the US. You currently need a certified birth certificate and a driver's license.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...es_1229.html#c

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...onal_1170.html
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #12

My first two thoughts were Bar Harbor, Maine and Montreal. I see others suggested them already. They offer two very different experiences . . . depends on what you are in the mood for.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't forget to consider Portland OR, Seattle WA or N.CA/SanFran. *All have alot to do and great fall weather
Old 07-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll put my plug in for Seattle as well. September can be lovely. (And has good shopping if its rainy!)

But, if you are going to New England why not push the trip off a couple of weeks and see the most awesome display of nature - the turning leaves!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I thought of bar harbor too, but having to heah bahh hahhbahh three hundred times a day might send some people ovah the edge.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Great suggestions. This year I was in SF, Seattle and Vancouver and loved them all. I took a passport to Canada but I understand it isn't too difficulty to get back in without one if you don't mind a bit of a wait at the border.

But for September city walking you can't leave out good old New York. I go up there four of five times a year and am never bored. I usually drive up but dump the car in a garage for my stay.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

September and May are the two months when NYC is actually nice. Be advised that a half-decent hotel in Mahnattan can be VERY expensive during these two months and you will want to book a room well in advance.

Alternatively, consider staying accross the creek in NJ. There are some good and much more affordable hotels there within walking distance of the subway/rail system.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Here is something from an area of the county no one has mentioned (I think) - The Door Peninsula of Wisconsin. About an hour away from the Green Bay airport and no congestion. You'd have to rent a car. My wife and I just got back last weekend. It's our favorite place in the Midwest. Sept temps are glorious. Lots of Lakeshore, Parks etc.

I am going again tomorrow for fishing. Great Resturants, shops etc. - Often called the Cape Cod of the Midwest. You could meet halfway.

Here is the link.

http://www.doorcounty.com/

Check out this link with one of the many towns and villages of Door County.

http://www.ephraim-doorcounty.com/

I am loving the Bar Harbor Sites, but this looks excellent also. We are looking to relax, shop, eat and sightsee. Cut Throat: What ariport would we fly into for this area? How far would the airport it be say from Ephraim?

Thanks.
Momtwo
Old 07-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Here is something from an area of the county no one has mentioned (I think) - The Door Peninsula of Wisconsin. About an hour away from the Green Bay airport and no congestion. You'd have to rent a car. My wife and I just got back last weekend. It's our favorite place in the Midwest. Sept temps are glorious. Lots of Lakeshore, Parks etc.
Been there many times in the past. Like most places it ain't what it used to be, but I'm glad to hear it still has its charm.

Do they still have goats on the roof of Johnson's restaurant? Did you do Peninsula State Park? Lots of condos now? Pictures?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwo

I am loving the Bar Harbor Sites, but this looks excellent also. We are looking to relax, shop, eat and sightsee. Cut Throat: What ariport would we fly into for this area? How far would the airport it be say from Ephraim?

Thanks.
Momtwo
You would fly into the Green Bay Wisconsin Airport. From Green Bay to any of the Towns and Villages is about 60 miles or about 1 hour. I'm driving there in the morning.