Join Early Retirement Today

For the woodworkers
Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the woodworkers

We visited the wife's family this past thanksgiving and during the trip her mother wanted to pass down some family furniture. This coffee table was made by her grand uncle for her aunt, and then was passed on to her mother (when the aunt died).

I'm really impressed with the workmanship. I can't figure out how he made the table top -- the wood pieces are all unique, there are no gaps, and some would require cuts at very sharp angles. Whenever I've cut wood for projects, I've never been able to obtain sub millimeter precision -- not even close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161126_133839.jpg (690.7 KB, 95 views)
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for sharing. Amazing details.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
We visited the wife's family this past thanksgiving and during the trip her mother wanted to pass down some family furniture. This coffee table was made by her grand uncle for her aunt, and then was passed on to her mother (when the aunt died).

I'm really impressed with the workmanship. I can't figure out how he made the table top -- the wood pieces are all unique, there are no gaps, and some would require cuts at very sharp angles. Whenever I've cut wood for projects, I've never been able to obtain sub millimeter precision -- not even close.
Is it possible the table top is veneer (look at the underside of the table). If it is veneer then the veneer is likley less than 1/8 inch thick and can be cut with a good scissors, giving greater cutting flexibility.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
For the woodworkers
Old 11-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

For the woodworkers

That table is incredible. I agree-top could be veneer. I've never worked with veneer, but from what I've seen, it wood be a little easier to make with veneers rather than with thicker pieces.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #5

Probably used several types of thin veneer and did the cutting with a straight edge and very sharp razor blade. Not sure if that was done as an inlay where you usually cut a pattern first then scribe it on the work surface. Maybe start with one big piece of veneer cut to the size of the table top and lay the pattern out then cut the prices, then you can use the cut pieces to duplicate on different types of veneer. In any case I'm sure it took a long time, probably more artwork then woodworking.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #6

In looking at this I discovered that for furniture like the above table there is a term
Marquerty that covers it defined as: " Definition of marquetry

1. : decorative work in which elaborate patterns are formed by the insertion of pieces of material (as wood, shell, or ivory) into a wood veneer that is then applied to a surface (as of a piece of furniture)"
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are interested, marquetry is done with very sharp knives and/or saws with essentially no kerf and very thin blades. Plus a lot of patience. In my youth I did a bit, I am too impatient to enjoy it, too much like knitting.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

He was quite an artist in veneering.

I sleep in a bed made by my grandfather for my mother, and he was an artist with a lathe. And I ended up with his whole woodworking shop which I cherish--and all his wood. I have a walnut timber 4" x 14" by 12' from a tree he felled in the 1930's.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #9

Thanks for the info -- I had no idea there was a specific term for this type of work. We don't have the piece on hand but we will pick it up when we drive to visit at christmas (we flew this time). MIL also has a sister piece, which isn't in as good shape due to children (DW and her brother).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

However it was done, that table is beautiful!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
In looking at this I discovered that for furniture like the above table there is a term
Marquerty that covers it defined as: " Definition of marquetry

1. : decorative work in which elaborate patterns are formed by the insertion of pieces of material (as wood, shell, or ivory) into a wood veneer that is then applied to a surface (as of a piece of furniture)"
Yep - and I'm fairly certain that they get precise cuts by cutting one piece of veneer first, then use that piece as a template for cutting adjacent pieces. Gluing sawdust into cracks is another trick to make the seams look seamless.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Beautiful work.

This probably doesn't apply to this particular table, but marquetry is also being done by woodworkers with amazing precision with todays laser cutters. I own one of these laser cutter/engravers (small biz out of my home) and it can cut to hundredths of a millimeter precision.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can take a bit of a shortcut and buy the marquetry pieces on various types of backing, from veneer all the way up to 3/4" stock. Several online sites to just browse, choose, and order from.

I ordered a circular one a few years ago in veneer and glued it onto a 1/4" ply backing:

And then used that to inset into the top of a navigation table on a sailboat I was refitting:

Old 12-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

^ Nice work!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Great work from original poster and I always enjoy the talent of wood workers. Nice job. I just wanted to share a few carvings I do when I have some extra time. These are all hand carved I don't use electric tools etc. I use knives hand gouges etc.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&d=1480688350

I don't know how to rotate picture so very sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2120.JPG (131.9 KB, 20 views)
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorcarver View Post
If you are interested, marquetry is done with very sharp knives and/or saws with essentially no kerf and very thin blades. Plus a lot of patience. In my youth I did a bit, I am too impatient to enjoy it, too much like knitting.
I thought that the OP table might be a really high end chipboard.

Just kidding.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

That is definitely marquetry.
Pieces of veneer are overlaid, and then cut with very sharp instrument, like a razor. That's my guess.
I would cover that with glass. It is a valuable heirloom and collectable.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I thought that the OP table might be a really high end chipboard.

Just kidding.
Actually, it isn't uncommon to put work like that on a high quality 'chip-board' (MDF - medium density fiber board).

MDF is more dimensionally stable with humidity, so makes an excellent substrate for veneers.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Great work from original poster and I always enjoy the talent of wood workers. Nice job. I just wanted to share a few carvings I do when I have some extra time. These are all hand carved I don't use electric tools etc. I use knives hand gouges etc.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&d=1480688350

I don't know how to rotate picture so very sorry.
Nice! Now that I'm down in FL with the cypress swamps I've been thinking of trying my hand at carving a few cypress knee wizards. I doubt they'll be as good as yours, though.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #20

Nice work, real art in my opinion. I work with a CNC router and dabble in the woods... limitations, but super accurate...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote