Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wear mostly athletic clothes and have had great luck at Amazon.com and Target.com, trolling for sales and bargains. For swimwear I shop the sales at SpeedoUSA.com.
For more formal attire (not undies) I find great stuff at my local Value Village. Many things are brand new.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Uh-Huh!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Uh-Huh!

I KNEW it! This really is a great thread! Where's CFB when we need him?

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Hand washing. They'll last and last.

I try never to pay more than $8 or $10 for a bra, but mine could never be described as "industrial strength." I used to describe my size as "A minus" but since motherhood I graduated to B! I buy at major sales, Marshall's, Filene's Basement.

I buy my basic wardrobe items on eBay. I try on some brand-name items at the store, then hunt for them on eBay. I know my size of Chico's clothing, so I know in advance that their things will fit me (the looser, softer ones - those non-wrinkle Travelers things especially) so I buy them for much less than half price.

Anne
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Believe it or not if you know the brand and size you want, eBay! Yep eBay is where I go for my double Ds because they don't come cheap! Brand new in the box 50-75% off includes shipping. Same thing with all underwear. And as angel said, you can get great deals on all clothing as long as you know what you want.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
...i used to work in lingerie, .....
Yeah, so the girl says don't look and thinks what? We won't look? Are we not men?

Bless you Bright eyed. All men want to believe that of all women. That they are always in lingerie I mean. Oh - that's not what you meant??
Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The first thing I would do when I came home from work was peel off my pantyhose and shed the underwear (top and bottom).

Now that I don't work, I put the underwear on when I leave the house to run an errand. Once I get back home, off they come! I haven't worn pantyhose in 10 years.

When I do buy new undies, I usually get them from Penney's or Just My Size. These days I go for comfort and not for speed.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 PM   #27

Speaking as a man in a place I'm not supposed to be--and as a representative of all other men on this board, we like ya all--with clothes and without and every way in between. And we love the underwear talk too. If you folks could cook, we'd be in heavenis my guess.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:08 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Kohl's is awesome for sales on bras and underwear.....and I agree with you bbbamI, as soon as I get home.....I take off everything and put on my comfy paint stained sweats and a tank....that is absolute heaven.
If I could go without wearing a bra, I would....but I also don't want to be reaching down to my knees by 40!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Yeah, so the girl says don't look and thinks what? We won't look? Are we not men?

Bless you Bright eyed. All men want to believe that of all women. That they are always in lingerie I mean. Oh - that's not what you meant??

Boys- take note, when i was working in lingerie there were hubbies who came in, married for over 20, 30, 40 years and had no idea what size their wives wore...so sad! i bet every wife knows their hubby's size from head to toe

how're you supposed to buy her something purty if you don't know what size she wears?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

As others have said the trick is to know what fits. The practical problem is that manufacturers change their materials and the 'model' morphs.

I always wear a bra, and over the years the me-side of the fit has changed. So, when I find something that fits for a good price I buy a couple and take care of them. Eventually the elastic dies, but by that time, God willing, the band is shot and the straps frayed.

I haven't done re-sale shopping in years, but my stunning Mom did it in retirement. She found great joy in finding couture at Goodwill, in the Silicon Valley it is now 'the thing'.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #31

Bras are one of the few pieces of clothing that I will pay full price for. I'm one of those who needs the well constructed, underwire, no slip straps kind. After finding what I like in a retail store I just order more through a mail order place that occasionally has free shipping or a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal.

If you hand wash or use the delicate cycle in a machine they can last quite a while.

This summer was the first time since the 80's that I had a job where I had to dress like a girl. I'm an usher at a summer concert venue, it's the summer home of a major city orchestra. So for the orchestra concerts we have to wear a white blouse, black skirt and dress shoes. Most of the ushers already had some or all of those, but I had to go shopping. Luckily I found a nice no-iron blouse. Ironing makes me very cranky and makes swear words fly out of my mouth.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the ebay tip .I'll try it !
Old 09-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Speaking as a man in a place I'm not supposed to be--and as a representative of all other men on this board, we like ya all--with clothes and without and every way in between. And we love the underwear talk too. If you folks could cook, we'd be in heavenis my guess.

We'll discuss cooking next !
Old 09-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We'll discuss cooking next !
Good! More opportunity to put innuendo in your demographic.

Goodbye. Seriously.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
As others have said the trick is to know what fits. The practical problem is that manufacturers change their materials and the 'model' morphs.

'.

I hate when they do that .I had found the world's most perfect bra and they stopped making it .This is what lead me back into the search for the perfect bra at a reasonable price .
Old 09-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #36

Onehanesplace.com is a great place to find bras, panties and pantyhose if you like the brands they carry.

You can buy pantyhose by the dozen and they have specials occasionally where they discount the bras and panties.

Bali bras are 2/$32 right now. The microfiber panties are often $5 each...I don't buy pantyhose since I retired...still have some left.

I tend to buy very casual clothing these days since I don't work. My attire is jeans or capris and blouses or sweatshirts depending on the weather. I get my blouses (Cabin creek oxford) from Penneys and the rest at Walmart or Target. Jackets from LL Bean or Landsend.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

OK, so I'm peeking under the tent.

I've got to add that my DW shops at a local consignment shop and buys new clothes on pennies on the dollar. We live in an upscale suburb and you may not believe this, but many of the local women buy clothes that they never wear! I guess they just love to shop.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
This is what lead me back into the search for the perfect bra at a reasonable price .
That was the story of my life as a young man
Old 09-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I remember the front opening bra. I could open it with one one hand. It was a great invention that never caught on for some reason.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post

how're you supposed to buy her something purty if you don't know what size she wears?
Bright eyed...I bet all males on this board are rushing to DW undie drawer to check out sizes and going shopping. Wouldn't that be nice. They can report to us on how it all turned out.