Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Forbes Magazine -- Don't marry career women
Old 08-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DW stayed home for 27 years and raised the kids. 7 years ago she went back to work at the local school district. She retired today and the career is over. Best thing is an 8K 1/2cola pension and medical which we only pay 10% for. To me that's a great career.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

No problems here with being married to a "career woman." It was especially nice in grad school - the life style except for the financial part.

In her career commissions have often been a large part of her salary. In a bad year I'll make more. In a good year she'll make more. Sometimes a lot more. I prefer good years.

We were DINKs for more than 10 years. We had well defined "MY activities, HER activities and OUR activities."

BUT, it got a lot trickier when the kids showed up . . .
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:40 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'm the opposite of this article. I married a non-career woman 35 years ago and it lasted a couple of years. I married a career woman 23 years ago and its been happily ever after. Of course, I always liked woman who are smarter than me. Makes for more interesting conversations.

By the way, what happened to the article? Did Forbes get blasted bad enough to take it down in embarrassment?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The news just ran a segment with a panel of women complaining about the article. I'm paraphrasing here, but the consensus was that they think he's an idiot.

Looks like the article did exactly what they wanted: Generate some publicity.