Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Foreskin of the Obesity Thread
Old 10-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Foreskin of the Obesity Thread

For Nords, our honorary Mohel.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Foreskin of the Obesity Thread
Old 10-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
For Nords, our honorary Mohel.
Those dryer sheets sure do good at cleaning coffee off the monitor.

Now can you help me explain to my spouse why I was laughing in the first place?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Brewer,

You may have to explain to the uninitiated here what a Mohel is.

Grumpy
Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Brewer,

Grumpy
Yeah, give us the skinny.

JG
Old 10-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #5

I always thought Nords was a cut above the rest....
Old 10-12-2006, 03:25 AM   #6

NOt to interrupt the witty banter, but to try to add something of substance, I'm posting this link to a NYT article: http://tinyurl.com/g6hae

Very interesting studies that show a number of subconscious factors that stimulate people to eat more than they would otherwise.

Sidebar:

Quote:
The Scene A Super Bowl party for 40 graduate students who attended a 90-minute lecture six weeks earlier on how larger containers can make people eat more.?The Test Do even educated eaters fall prey to mindless eating based on container size? ?The Setup Students in one group could serve themselves as much Chex Mix as they wanted from two one-gallon bowls. Those in the other group served themselves from four half-gallon bowls. ?The Result The students who ate from the gallon bowls dished up 53 percent more food.

The Scene The Spice Box, a fine dining lab at the University of Illinois. ?The Test Does a food or a wine label affect how people feel about their meal and how much they eat? ?The Setup Diners were offered a free glass of inexpensive cabernet with dinner. Half of them saw a fake label calling it California cabernet, the other half saw a label calling it North Dakota cabernet. ?The Result The people who thought the wine was from California ate 11 percent more food and stayed about 10 minutes longer at their table. Dr. Wansink thought that was because the label led them to expect a better meal, so they relaxed and ate more. In follow-up surveys none of the subjects thought the label influenced them.

The Scene A health and nutrition camp for teenagers in New England. ?The Test How hard is it to correctly estimate portion size based on container size, and how can the shape of a container make you consume more? ?The Setup The campers were given a tall, skinny glass or a short, squat glass and told to pour as much as they wanted to drink as they went through the food line. ?The Result Campers with tall glasses poured 5.5 ounces on average. Campers with short glasses poured an average of 9.6 ounces, or 74 percent more, but estimated they had poured seven ounces.

The Scene The test lab. ?The Test Do visual clues help slow down mindless snacking? ?The Setup Subjects were invited to watch a video and eat from cans of Pringles, some with every seventh chip dyed red, some with every 14th chip dyed red and some with no dye at all. ?The Result People who ate from cans where every seventh chip was marked ate an average of 10 chips. Those with every 14th chip marked ate an average of 15. Those with no marked chips ate 23. A similar test used bags of 200 M&M’s, half broken into smaller bags of 10 M&M’s and half with no extra packaging. People who had to open only one bag ate almost twice as the others.

The Scene A vacation summer Bible school. ?The Test Does how food is described change consumption rates? ?The Setup Children were told they could eat what they wanted at a small buffet. ?The Result The first day, the peas were largely untouched. The next day they were called “power peas”; the number of children taking them nearly doubled.
I do know that here in Italy the drinking glasses of all types tend to be smaller, as do the plates.. to the extent that my "normal" US dishware doesn't really fit well in the European-market dishwasher. And Italians have remarked on the "big" glasses and plates we have. I never thought about a possible relationship to subliminal overconsumption 'til now.

I used to think the "mini"-servings of Coke and fruit juice they served in coffee bars here were cute but laughable.200-250ml; 6.5-8.5 oz. roughly.... vs. a "normal" 12 oz. Coke can (itself now on the 'small' side in the US; more common is the 16- or even 20-oz. bottle). The "old" classic Coke bottles I think were 8 or 10 oz.?

Now I'm not laughing. 33cl (11.2 oz.) cans have recently become the norm here, so who knows what the scene will be in a few years..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Brewer,

Grumpy
A Mohel is the guy who performs Jewish ritual circumcisions.

Classic Mohel joke:

A man has an antique watch that is broken. He looks all over town and finally finds a shop that has no sign, but has a collection of antique watches on the front window. So he walks in and tells the proprietor that he wants his watch fixed. The man behind the counter says, "Sorry, I don't fix watches. I'm a Mohel." So the would-be customes asks why he has watches in his front window. And the Mohel says, "If you were me, what would you put in the window?"

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
I used to think the "mini"-servings of Coke and fruit juice they served in coffee bars here were cute but laughable.200-250ml; 6.5-8.5 oz. roughly.... vs. a "normal" 12 oz. Coke can (itself now on the 'small' side in the US; more common is the 16- or even 20-oz. bottle). The "old" classic Coke bottles I think were 8 or 10 oz.?

Now I'm not laughing. 33cl (11.2 oz.) cans have recently become the norm here, so who knows what the scene will be in a few years..
There were 10oz bottles, and 6.5oz bottles. My dad used to have a machine in his drug store and it had both sizes.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
I always thought Nords was a cut above the rest....
...yes but he works for tips.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote