Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #181
Recycles dryer sheets

Bummer drought for California. When it starts raining, I predict the drought will be over in one rainy season like Texas experienced the past two weeks. Don't over react. Rain and snow will come and California will green up! Our nation depends upon the produce from California!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
Bummer drought for California. When it starts raining, I predict the drought will be over in one rainy season like Texas experienced the past two weeks. Don't over react. Rain and snow will come and California will green up! Our nation depends upon the produce from California!

Have you read about the floods of 1861 which forced the state capital to move from Sacramento to San Francisco for a while, flooded the west side of the central valley and filled some of the lake beds in the Mohave desert. I go a bit further and suspect Ca may get that level of drought breaking storm.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Have you read about the floods of 1861 which forced the state capital to move from Sacramento to San Francisco for a while, flooded the west side of the central valley and filled some of the lake beds in the Mohave desert. I go a bit further and suspect Ca may get that level of drought breaking storm.
Yup, climate is even more likely to gravitate to average than market returns, interest rates, or inflation rates. Given enough time, that is...
Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's hope so.

Along with the news that San Diego is bringing online its new desalination plant, we are reminded that Santa Barbara built such a plant in the early 90s, which was then mothballed as rainwater returned. Santa Barbara is looking to reactivate this plant soon. It will be good if they won't have to.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck
Nice memory you have there. I probably could use a bucket instead of a sink, except that some people took the bucket away from me awhile back.
...and as for the bucket, Nantucket.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #186

Water level in reservoir formed by Hoover Dam dips to record low
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

I think we tend forget that much of California is a desert. An earlier poster talked of golf courses in Palm Springs, a playground for millionaires, that are watered with well water.

I wonder how much that well pumping has lowered the water table. People who are not familiar with the area can get an idea of the climate there by seeing a recent photo of a subdivision in Cathedral City, a town not too far from Palm Springs (this photo is linked from Bloomberg).

Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post

I do not think the drought is actually over for the whole state... just looked... there is just a bit less than 7% of the state that has mild drought...compared with 65% at the beginning of the year... that is mild...

Also, the aquifers will take a LONG time to recover.... and I bet they will not do so in California ever....
Old 06-25-2015, 01:12 AM   #189

Well - our water useage in San Diego will be the lowest ever.... Since we're not there.

That said- we're not complete yet on our master bath remodel but DH did plumb the sewer lines so that showers have a diverter - can go to main sewer line or backyard to water the (currently brown and dead) lawn. During our remodel, since there is no shower, we've been using our outdoor shower which is already watering some fruit trees and a hedge.

San Diego has a full separate "purple" water line that is reclaimed, non-potable, water for watering public parks and green spaces (sides of freeways for example) as well as for private commercial use (business park landscaping, golf courses, etc.) But not all golf courses are tied into it. Private residences do not have access to the purple water lines - and it seems most folks still have very green lawns.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I think we tend forget that much of California is a desert. An earlier poster talked of golf courses in Palm Springs, a playground for millionaires, that are watered with well water.

I wonder how much that well pumping has lowered the water table. People who are not familiar with the area can get an idea of the climate there by seeing a recent photo of a subdivision in Cathedral City, a town not too far from Palm Springs (this photo is linked from Bloomberg).

Very stark photo. I looked at the area in google maps, and that photo is not a exception at all. Green lawns, golf courses, and ponds are commonly seen right up against desert. Zoom and pan around to see for yourself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7936.../data=!3m1!1e3

-ERD50
Old 06-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #191
Administrator

Humans living where they ought not.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

I don't know. There are few places on earth where people can live without some intervention using modern technologies. If not too dry, then it may be too hot or too cold, or hazardous with the threat of floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, typhoons, etc... If it's not one thing, it's 'nother. Mother Nature is brutal, not at all gentle.

The current heat wave around the world just killed 800 in Pakistan. Earlier, it killed 1200 in India.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't know. There are few places on earth where people can live without some intervention using modern technologies. If not too dry, then it may be too hot or too cold, or hazardous with the threat of floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, typhoons, etc... If it's not one thing, it's 'nother. Mother Nature is brutal, not at all gentle. ...
True, and here in the Midwest we heat most of the winter and run some AC in summer. I think the difference is, with those green lawns, golf courses, and ponds, they aren't just trying to make their inside comfortable, they are trying to change the outdoors as well.

We don't try to heat up the outdoors and melt the snow in our yards and keep the grass green all winter. We heat/cool the indoors, and push the snow out of our way if needed. Many of us just let the grass go dormant if we get a drought.

So I have no problem with people living there, but why not do appropriate landscaping?

-ERD50
Old 06-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Meanwhile I am beginning to think that we are locally at risk of not having any place to put any more water.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

I can see it now. California headlines: Midwest Big Agriculture hogging the United States water for itself.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Very stark photo. I looked at the area in google maps, and that photo is not a exception at all. Green lawns, golf courses, and ponds are commonly seen right up against desert. Zoom and pan around to see for yourself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7936.../data=!3m1!1e3

-ERD50
I think there needs to be a cultural shift in Southern CA. We need to move away from lawns, and do more drought tolerant landscaping. My aunt and cousins live in Arizona. They don't have lawns... they have pebbles and they have cactus, and some trees....

It makes no sense to have lawn in places where it doesn't rain enough to support it. We get a lot of condensation since we're close to the ocean - that helps the fruit trees... we haven't watered our lawn in more than a year - and that's ok... we've got other drought tolerant plants that are pretty and don't take the water (and mowing) that the lawn does.

Lawns are a holdover from british rule - where they had lots of rain and sheep to "mow" them.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #197
Recycles dryer sheets

This is near where a relative lives. Nothing but lakes, rivers, rocks and trees. Oh, it hasn't rained there yet this year.

Watch as Saskatchewan motorist barrels through wildfire after flames engulf northern highway | National Post
Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #198

Our June rainfall in northern Illinois was 13.77". Normal is 4.02". We could use a little bit of a drought.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Our June rainfall in northern Illinois was 13.77". Normal is 4.02". We could use a little bit of a drought.

I think we had the wettest May ever on record here, and June continued the downpours. It is finally stopping and the weather is drying out, but every river, lake and reservoir is bulging at the seams.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

I started reading this thread at page 18. It is so entertaining, I am not going to go back to page 1. On ! On! [Hash House Harrier lingo.]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drought