Forget about asteroids; the coming drought will do us in!

Here's the new list of states with the worst drought (the worst listed first)

#1: California

Well the new owner's of our home in San Jose ripped out our low-water native garden and replaced it with grass. The county had given rebates (up to a few $k) to remove the lawn in the first place.

Vacationed in Carlsbad CA for a week in early May. As I walked around the neighborhood (Aviara) it really struck me on how lush and green everything along the streets were. On a 4-5 mile walk both sides of the street (mostly city property) were filled with what sure looked like water hungry plants/shrubs/trees and an irrigation system was up and running all along the streets to give them what they needed. Not sure, maybe the city uses reclaimed water for most of this, but it sure seems like they need to start moving to a xeriscape type landscaping. If anything it would set a good example for the local residents that also seem to enjoy the look of a lush green landscape.

Last edited:
Most people do not realize that the once mighty Colorado River stopped flowing to the sea a long, long time ago. The trickle that crosses the border has been so laden with salt that as a pact with Mexico, the US built a desalination plant to have some good water to pump to these poor downstream Mexicans to use.

And I read that in a National Geographic article some 15-20 years ago.

Speaking of agriculture, efficient irrigation methods have another side effect. Bad, bad side effect. Salt, fertilizer, and insecticides accumulate in the soil instead of getting leached away. With time, the productivity of the land decreases as the salinity of the soil increases.

If it's not one thing, it's another!

That has been a problem for several thousand years.

This problem does not exist in places with sufficient rainfall, or where water is abundant to allow deep irrigation to leach the salt deeper into the earth (it all ends up in the ocean). I believe that modern agriculture in arid land where nothing has grown naturally before really brings this problem to the surface.

nrcs144p2_058789.jpg

Salt%20accumulation.jpg

This problem does not exist in places with sufficient rainfall, or where water is abundant to allow deep irrigation to leach the salt deeper into the earth (it all ends up in the ocean). I believe that modern agriculture in arid land where nothing has grown naturally before really brings this problem to the surface.

Ah, the Westlands district. Those whacky agribusinesses, growing crops on an ancient dead seabottom. Hard sedimentary rock 10-15 feet down, all nice and salty. Just add water and the brine comes percolating up. )=P

Of course, if you just flush enough water through early in the season, you can get a crop to grow. The salts just run off and drain to Kesterson National Wildlife Refuge. What could possibly go wrong?

From a Wikipedia article:

The Kesterson National Wildlife Refuge is an artificial wetland environment, created using agricultural runoff from farmland in California's Central Valley.

So, not only that we can grow crop where it was not possible before, we now also have a Wildlife Refuge where one did not exist. Nice!

Wildlife in this region suffered deformities due to selenium poisoning, drawing the attention of news media and leading to the closure of the refuge.

[FONT=&quot]In his earthship books, Mr. Reynolds claims the houses he designs/builds get by with around 12" of rainfall, no well, solar/battery power and (virtually) no fuel for heating. While his construction approach is to build walls using stacked tires, each crammed full of dirt, then cement plaster over the wall, the water, thermal, & electrical aspects can be adapted to most other construction methods. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For further info check Mike Reynolds site:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://earthship.com/ [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]His three Earthship books are available free to read online:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.scribd.com/doc/23400396/EarthShip-VOL1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.scribd.com/doc/105685196/Earthship-Vol-2-Systems-and-Components[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.scribd.com/doc/105685235/Earthship-Vol-3-Evolution-Beyond-Economics[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seminar on earthships by Mike Reynolds, two multi-hour sessions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Garbage Warrior
Garbage Warrior Full Length Documentary] - YouTube[/FONT]

Man, it's tough to collect enough rainfall for personal consumption out of 12"/yr, so I guess crop cultivation is out.

I will watch these later when I have a better Web connection.

[FONT=&quot]In his earthship books, Mr. Reynolds claims the houses he designs/builds get by with around 12" of rainfall, no well, solar/battery power and (virtually) no fuel for heating. While his construction approach is to build walls using stacked tires, each crammed full of dirt, then cement plaster over the wall, the water, thermal, & electrical aspects can be adapted to most other construction methods. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For further info check Mike Reynolds site:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://earthship.com/ [/FONT](snip)
Back when I was considering building a house with my own hands as a post-retirement project, I looked into the Earthship building method, and bought and read one of the books, I think probably the first one. Earthships are a high-thermal-mass type of building, so they are not suitable for all climates. As I understand it they work best where days are hot and nights are cold, in other words a climate where the heat only has to be stored in the walls for a short time. Storing heat from summer to use in winter requires a different kind of building, and in a climate (like where I live in the maritime NW) in which the incoming solar energy is low during the winter, just when the heat is really needed, yet a different kind of house is appropriate—one with emphasis on insulation rather than storage mass. I'm not at all sure how successfully the water collection and other aspects of the system could be adapted. A different sort of building in the climate for which Earthships are intended would likely have higher energy use and so the measures used in an Earthship would not produce an adequate power supply, would not have adequate window area to produce enough solar gain to heat the house, etc etc. An Earthship in a climate for which it isn't appropriate would run into similar problems. I think in many places, urban or suburban sites with the necessary uninterrupted access to incoming sunlight might be few and far between. But for a rural site in an appropriate climate, I believe the Earthships have succeeded quite well.
Man, it's tough to collect enough rainfall for personal consumption out of 12"/yr, so I guess crop cultivation is out.(snip)
I'm going by memory here, but as I recall, the area immediately inside the all-glass south wall of the Earthship is filled with raised beds and used for food production, using greywater from the house's showers, sinks, etc for irrigation. I think this would be equivalent to a semi-heated or un-heated greenhouse (depending on the exact climate the building is in) and quite a variety of food crops could be grown year round--leaf & root vegetables, peas & the cabbage family during the cool season, tomatoes, peppers and their relatives once the weather warms up, and I would guess (if self-pollinating varieties are available) even some fruits like strawberries or dwarf citrus. I think the only things that wouldn't grow in such a space are the ones that need freezing weather in the winter in order to set flowers for the next year, and you could always grow those in tubs and put them out in the winter to get their required chilling, or just plant them outdoors.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]For shelter that saves on HVAC energy, see also Passive Annual Heat Storage, where author John Hait indicates that insulating the soil out something like 20 fee from your underground home creates a large soil thermal storage area which can be utilized by buried air/water circulating tubes, with modest blower/pump power gaining access to a lot of stored thermal difference. An above ground home may need a lot of insulation to make up for the surrounding thermal storage of an underground home. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.norishouse.com/PAHS/UmbrellaHouse.html[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://earthshelters.com/[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here in AZ older typical thick adobe walls provide thermal storage & due to slow heat transmission a thermal swing that helps. My bet though is that even these would gain significantly from some means to add/remove heat against the outside of the adobe, covered by significant insulation.[/FONT]

I am not knowledgeable about different Earthship projects, but have seen some on TV or the Web.

Somewhat related was the Biosphere project near Tucson that was abandoned and turned into a public exhibit. We did take a tour of that more than 10 years back. I just remember about it now, and wonder what has become of that.

Actually the high thermal mass for day to day variations has existed in Ca since Sutters Fort. I recall one time we got to Sacramento and it was very hot (100 or so) we went inside Sutters Fort and it was cool. Of course 2 foot thick adobe does help a lot there.

We are in deep (and cake dried) doodoo.

20140527_usdm_home.png

Here we are, a year later and the drought persists. California's governor just announced some drastic measures to reduce water consumption. On the Web, one site says the drought in CA is the worse in 600 years, another says in 1200 years. The new drought map shows that the drought is lessened in other states, but gets worse in CA, and extends into Oregon. And it starts to show up in North and South Dakota, and other places.

Note that even though the drought is getting less severe in other places, it still means that the water supply continues to get strained, and does not get replenished. We need some wet years for that to happen. Here in the SW, it has been a dry and much warmer than normal winter. We are still in deep doodoo.

PS. Look at Hawaii and Alaska!

20150331_usdm_home.png

Last edited:
I just noticed that on my last water bill, 50% of the bill was for water and the rest is for "Service." What service? No detail of the "service" was provided.

My home golf course is inside a vineyard. I expect more changes to either the vineyard or the course. Last year, they were told to cut water by 25%.

No sign of rain. It's not too late for a rain dance.

One of the few people - forgot his name - who made billions out of predicting the CDO housing blowup subsequently predicted that water in the USA was going to be the next big blowup. That was a few years ago.

I hope he's wrong, it doesn't look so good though.

Current drought aside, the entire southwest is generally arid, yet we grow lawns and veggies and golf courses...

Current drought aside, the entire southwest is generally arid, yet we grow lawns and veggies and golf courses...
And rice, of all strange crops for an arid climate.

Oh well, nature has a way of putting an end to the most egregiously stupid human tricks.

Ha

Here in Northern California the largest reservoir is 88% full. We've had below average rain but better then the previous years. On the other hand, the Sierra snow pack is terribly low. That won't affect our water supply here.

We just finished a landscape job in the back that removed the lawn. With my work in the front that completes the conversion to 100% drip irrigation. Shouldn't have too much problem reducing water consumption by 25% as California is mandating.

The neighbors put in a new pool this year. They have 2 teenage sons and I'm sure that was the motivation. Not sure if a pool with cover uses as much water as a lawn. According to the chart in this article, a covered pool is as good as a drought tolerant landscape:
Water agencies are learning pools aren't a big factor during drought - LA Times

I like the Southwest, but if I was going to live in the desert, I'd want it to LOOK like the desert! Rocks, sand, cactuses, etc. Kind of stark, desolate, but beautiful in its own way. Once you import all those lush lawns and palm trees, you basically have Florida, with mountains in the background.

I used to have some friends that lived in Barstow, CA, and I visited them a few times. I loved it there! Don't know if I'd want to live there, but I had fun visiting. Their yard was pretty minimal, as I recall. But, the last time I was out there was 1992. I just did a Google street view, and it looks like all the houses on their old street have lawns now, although some are more brown than green.

Last edited:
I like the Southwest, but if I was going to live in the desert, I'd want it to LOOK like the desert! Rocks, sand, cactuses, etc. Kind of stark, desolate, but beautiful in its own way. Once you import all those lush lawns and palm trees, you basically have Florida, with mountains in the background.

Don't forget the horse with no name...

As I was gazing over the vast expanse of the mighty Pacific Ocean last weekend, I noted the irony of our water problems here in California.

And rice, of all strange crops for an arid climate.

Oh well, nature has a way of putting an end to the most egregiously stupid human tricks.

Ha

Tell people no more lawns and the water supply problem in many areas would be instantly fixed for the next 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom