Forget about asteroids; the coming drought will do us in!

I remember that in a previous post, you mentioned that you had a bucket that you carried into the library and people looked at you funny. Can you use that bucket instead of the sink? It should work as well, and is even lighter to carry to town on a bus, oui?

Nice memory you have there. I probably could use a bucket instead of a sink, except that some people took the bucket away from me awhile back. I wonder if those people were simply jealous of me because for quite some time I was the only one in the library with a bucket. Maybe they thought I was too young to have a bucket. Maybe they thought that I inherited the bucket and didn't really have to work hard for it. Maybe they thought I was showing off and wanted to bring me down to their miserable level.

I am sorry to hear that your bucket got stolen (or was it forcibly taken from you?) out of envy. That's bad. Envy is one of the 7 deadly sins, as we know.

But in this world, there's always people who do not have their own bucket and have to share, like this...

images

and some who have several to themselves, like this...

images

But back on carrying water in a bucket and go to town, look at what I have found.

Would people having to take sponge bath not be envious? I would be.

0812_icebucket-Cog.jpg

NW-Bound:

If you must know, it was taken by force (not much force, but enough to leave me bucketless). There I was, standing in front of the young adult book section, when this young adult just grabs my bucket and walks away as her two girlfriends simply watched.

I clicked the bar to enlarge the last photo of your post. Interestingly enough, I think I spotted my bucket in the picture. It's the bucket that appears almost red (as opposed to orange) and is almost entirely obscured by a blue bucket. As you look at the photo, it's behind a guy in a white shirt who is behind of what a appears to be a women dressed in green who is behind of a guy in a blue shirt.

We have a water recycling system at our place that is quite efficient. Its called a septic system. The horses love the nice lush green grass. At this time of the year SW Oregon is actually quite dry
So every little bit helps.

We have a water recycling system at our place that is quite efficient. Its called a septic system. The horses love the nice lush green grass. At this time of the year SW Oregon is actually quite dry
So every little bit helps.

Your post reminded me of our septic system 20 years ago when we bought a new home then. Lateral lines wouldn't perk right pooling up to surface causing a lot of wet green areas. Called builder to fix the problem. After a careful engineering study he "fixed the problem" by extending the line to a nearby ditch and hiding the open pipe with rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bummer drought for California. When it starts raining, I predict the drought will be over in one rainy season like Texas experienced the past two weeks. Don't over react. Rain and snow will come and California will green up! Our nation depends upon the produce from California!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Bummer drought for California. When it starts raining, I predict the drought will be over in one rainy season like Texas experienced the past two weeks. Don't over react. Rain and snow will come and California will green up! Our nation depends upon the produce from California!

Have you read about the floods of 1861 which forced the state capital to move from Sacramento to San Francisco for a while, flooded the west side of the central valley and filled some of the lake beds in the Mohave desert. I go a bit further and suspect Ca may get that level of drought breaking storm.

Have you read about the floods of 1861 which forced the state capital to move from Sacramento to San Francisco for a while, flooded the west side of the central valley and filled some of the lake beds in the Mohave desert. I go a bit further and suspect Ca may get that level of drought breaking storm.
Yup, climate is even more likely to gravitate to average than market returns, interest rates, or inflation rates. Given enough time, that is...

Let's hope so.

Along with the news that San Diego is bringing online its new desalination plant, we are reminded that Santa Barbara built such a plant in the early 90s, which was then mothballed as rainwater returned. Santa Barbara is looking to reactivate this plant soon. It will be good if they won't have to.

Redduck said:
Nice memory you have there. I probably could use a bucket instead of a sink, except that some people took the bucket away from me awhile back.

...and as for the bucket, Nantucket.

I think we tend forget that much of California is a desert. An earlier poster talked of golf courses in Palm Springs, a playground for millionaires, that are watered with well water.

I wonder how much that well pumping has lowered the water table. People who are not familiar with the area can get an idea of the climate there by seeing a recent photo of a subdivision in Cathedral City, a town not too far from Palm Springs (this photo is linked from Bloomberg).

-1x-1.jpg

I do not think the drought is actually over for the whole state... just looked... there is just a bit less than 7% of the state that has mild drought...compared with 65% at the beginning of the year... that is mild...

Also, the aquifers will take a LONG time to recover.... and I bet they will not do so in California ever....

Well - our water useage in San Diego will be the lowest ever.... Since we're not there.

That said- we're not complete yet on our master bath remodel but DH did plumb the sewer lines so that showers have a diverter - can go to main sewer line or backyard to water the (currently brown and dead) lawn. During our remodel, since there is no shower, we've been using our outdoor shower which is already watering some fruit trees and a hedge.

San Diego has a full separate "purple" water line that is reclaimed, non-potable, water for watering public parks and green spaces (sides of freeways for example) as well as for private commercial use (business park landscaping, golf courses, etc.) But not all golf courses are tied into it. Private residences do not have access to the purple water lines - and it seems most folks still have very green lawns.

I think we tend forget that much of California is a desert. An earlier poster talked of golf courses in Palm Springs, a playground for millionaires, that are watered with well water.

I wonder how much that well pumping has lowered the water table. People who are not familiar with the area can get an idea of the climate there by seeing a recent photo of a subdivision in Cathedral City, a town not too far from Palm Springs (this photo is linked from Bloomberg).

-1x-1.jpg

Very stark photo. I looked at the area in google maps, and that photo is not a exception at all. Green lawns, golf courses, and ponds are commonly seen right up against desert. Zoom and pan around to see for yourself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7936902,-116.4280497,10279m/data=!3m1!1e3

-ERD50

Humans living where they ought not.

I don't know. There are few places on earth where people can live without some intervention using modern technologies. If not too dry, then it may be too hot or too cold, or hazardous with the threat of floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, typhoons, etc... If it's not one thing, it's 'nother. Mother Nature is brutal, not at all gentle.

The current heat wave around the world just killed 800 in Pakistan. Earlier, it killed 1200 in India.

I don't know. There are few places on earth where people can live without some intervention using modern technologies. If not too dry, then it may be too hot or too cold, or hazardous with the threat of floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, typhoons, etc... If it's not one thing, it's 'nother. Mother Nature is brutal, not at all gentle. ...

True, and here in the Midwest we heat most of the winter and run some AC in summer. I think the difference is, with those green lawns, golf courses, and ponds, they aren't just trying to make their inside comfortable, they are trying to change the outdoors as well.

We don't try to heat up the outdoors and melt the snow in our yards and keep the grass green all winter. We heat/cool the indoors, and push the snow out of our way if needed. Many of us just let the grass go dormant if we get a drought.

So I have no problem with people living there, but why not do appropriate landscaping?

-ERD50

Meanwhile I am beginning to think that we are locally at risk of not having any place to put any more water.

I can see it now. California headlines: Midwest Big Agriculture hogging the United States water for itself.

get-attachment.asp
get-attachment.asp

Very stark photo. I looked at the area in google maps, and that photo is not a exception at all. Green lawns, golf courses, and ponds are commonly seen right up against desert. Zoom and pan around to see for yourself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7936902,-116.4280497,10279m/data=!3m1!1e3

-ERD50

I think there needs to be a cultural shift in Southern CA. We need to move away from lawns, and do more drought tolerant landscaping. My aunt and cousins live in Arizona. They don't have lawns... they have pebbles and they have cactus, and some trees....

It makes no sense to have lawn in places where it doesn't rain enough to support it. We get a lot of condensation since we're close to the ocean - that helps the fruit trees... we haven't watered our lawn in more than a year - and that's ok... we've got other drought tolerant plants that are pretty and don't take the water (and mowing) that the lawn does.

Lawns are a holdover from british rule - where they had lots of rain and sheep to "mow" them.

Our June rainfall in northern Illinois was 13.77". Normal is 4.02". We could use a little bit of a drought.

Our June rainfall in northern Illinois was 13.77". Normal is 4.02". We could use a little bit of a drought.

I think we had the wettest May ever on record here, and June continued the downpours. It is finally stopping and the weather is drying out, but every river, lake and reservoir is bulging at the seams.

I started reading this thread at page 18. It is so entertaining, I am not going to go back to page 1. On ! On! [Hash House Harrier lingo.]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom