Join Early Retirement Today

Forget about the pedestrian Cilantro. How 'bout Culantro?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Forget about the pedestrian Cilantro. How 'bout Culantro?

We have had two threads already about Cilantro, and this common herb stirs up quite a bit of interest.

But how about something less well known, Culantro?

I have had it in some Asian restaurants. I can eat it, but do not use it like cilantro.

Anyone here knows about this herb, and uses it in some dishes? Let's hear some stories.

PS. Here are some interesting facts.

Cilantro originated from the Mediterranean, and yet Europeans do not use it much. On the other hand, culantro comes from Central America, so in the US it should be closer to home. Yet, people do not eat culantro much here.

Quote:
...Culantro is native to the tropical areas of the Americas and the West Indies, unlike cilantro that originated in the Mediterranean and was introduced to the Americas after European colonization.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve just been served it occasionally in some Asian restaurants. Didn’t do much for me.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We lived in Costa Rica the entirety of last year (2018). Culantro is found there at every Tiangui. Good stuff. We used it just like Cilantro and found that it has a much longer shelf life. Culantro tends to have a stronger flavor than regular cilantro and also holds up better when cooking. We are fans!
“Every tick-tock is a second of life that passes by, that flees never to repeat itself. And it holds such intensity, such interest that the only problem is knowing how to live. May each person solve it as best they can.”

Frida Kahlo
candrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:41 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I grow culantro and use it in place of cilantro, which is hard to come by and harder to grow in tropical climates.

Wouldn't go without it. Leaves are little tougher than cilantro, but flavor profile is the same.

I use it in beans, stews, soups and as a garnish on just about anything. It's an essential ingredient to salsas, bean dips etc., including sofrito.

Recent examples where I used it include:

Chicken of the woods mushroom soup ~ The 3 Foragers: Foraging for Wild, Natural, Organic Food: Chicken Mushroom Recipe - Coconut Mushroom Soup

Chicken tagine ~ https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipe...en-tagine.html
Old 06-30-2019, 05:19 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

So the question is does it taste like soap to some people like cilantro ?

Tags
culantro