Join Early Retirement Today

Forgetting the Plot of Books and Movies...
Old 11-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Forgetting the Plot of Books and Movies...

Last night my SO and I watched, on Netflix, Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris," which we saw in the theatre on its release about four years ago. We are in our 40s-50s, and we were both amazed at how much of the plot we completely forgot -- like 75% of it.

I also have the same issue with books -- even ones I loved. When I reread them after a couple of years, whole huge sections of the plot have been forgotten until I reread them.

Does this happen to you?

The bad part is that I'm worried about my memory (in a family chock full of Alzheimer's sufferers). The nice part is that I get to enjoy good stuff all over again!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Woody Allen movies have plots?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, okay -- but I forgot most of the plot of Casablanca and Citizen Kane too!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I don't think what you're describing is at all unusual. I think the time to worry is when you forget the plot while you are actually watching or reading. That would be similar to getting lost while driving to a known place.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
Last night my SO and I watched, on Netflix, Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris," which we saw in the theatre on its release about four years ago. We are in our 40s-50s, and we were both amazed at how much of the plot we completely forgot -- like 75% of it.

I also have the same issue with books -- even ones I loved. When I reread them after a couple of years, whole huge sections of the plot have been forgotten until I reread them.

Does this happen to you?

The bad part is that I'm worried about my memory (in a family chock full of Alzheimer's sufferers). The nice part is that I get to enjoy good stuff all over again!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started reading this thread.....now I can't recall what it's about.....

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have a tendency to read a page and after turning the page forget what I just read

Unless of course, the topic really interests me .
Old 11-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Eh, there's only one plot to remember: boy meets ____, boy loses ____, etc., plus a couple of chase scenes.

If both you and your SO are both experiencing this it's probably nothing, or maybe you need a new carbon monoxide detector.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I experience this a lot. I am a member of several book clubs and I usually like to read ahead. By the time we meet to discuss the book, I have often forgotten the plot, particularly if I didn't love the book. If this was school, I would have made notes, but as I am ER, I refuse to do any actual w*rk. Instead I focus on discussing the main themes, literary style, etc. and I pose questions such as "does anyone think that the train is a character in The Girl on the Train?"
Old 11-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I do the same thing. I mentioned a Netflix movie here that I really liked and to be honest, I can't remember anything other than I liked it. I get to watch it again!
Retirement is supposed to be so simple. Fact is, life is complicated, with our minds going in zillions of directions.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

I experience this too. I chalk it up to decades of exposure to media and w*rk teaching me to commit to memory only the key items so as to avoid cluttering my brain with non-essentials. It's a Good Thing.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #11

It definitely happens to me also. My DH and I can't remember if we have seen the film or read the book. I used to rely on him to remember what musical groups we have seen, etc, but now I don't always trust his answers. Oh well, not really important in the grand scheme of things.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

"It's the same old story. Boy finds girl; boy loses girl; girl finds boy; boy forgets girl; boy remembers girl; girl dies in tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Years Day."
-- "The Naked Gun" (1988)
Old 11-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It happens to me all the time. I will often get anywhere from 10 - 100 pages into a book only to realize I have already read it. I get all my books from the library and wish they would keep a database with my check outs but libraries discontinued those since police agencies trolled them looking for people interested in topics the authorities deemed questionable.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a problem for me. I've always enjoyed re-reading a book I previously enjoyed.
Some movies I enjoy again but not as much as books.
Not a problem for me. I've always enjoyed re-reading a book I previously enjoyed.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Some movies I enjoy again but not as much as books.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #16

I wish I could say it gets better with age
Old 11-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #17

For me, I know this isn't an age thing as it has always happened. I care about the plot during the movie (or book) and am eager to see how it resolves, but once resolved I quickly forget about it. Perhaps because it was only of interest for entertainment and has very little real impact on my life. Sometimes I notice even an hour or two later that I don't remember how a particular plot point worked out, even though I do remember being keenly interested at the time.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Yep - I can read a book years later, and be about half we through before I think "I remember this!" - but I will still have forgotten most of the details.

It's OK by me - because then I can enjoy reading it again!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #19

I watch a couple dozen tv shows every week. Lets say I watched NCIS last week. I can't recall anything that happened on the show last week. They show a recap at the beginning of the episode and that makes me remember most of the previous episode. Without that recap I wouldn't have a clue. I've always been like that. That's why I failed almost every non-multiple choice test I have ever taken and couldn't get a college degree. I don't think it's a sign of alzheimer's. Some people just don't have the recall that others have.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I buy books cheap a few times a year at library sales, and then donate them back, so I always have a large rotating stack. As I am perusing books at these sales, I often think that the plot sounds familiar, so I skim through it looking at character names to see if they sound familiar. Even still, every once in a while I get 30-50 pages in and realize I have read it before. I read a lot of murder mysteries; they all kind of blend together. I'm better about other genres; although I sometimes forget which Isabel Allende books I have read and which ones are on my mental "to get to" list.