Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't know why comments reacting to a "published" article shouldn't be moderated--old-school publishing would have found them in a letters to the editor column, which were not only moderated but often also edited before being chosen for publication.
Part of this may be generational.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned in this forum before, but I'm a worship leader at church, and so I spend a great deal of time and effort learning about how to create eminently meaningful worship services. I'm sure that it comes as no surprise to anyone that worship is like practically everything else, i.e., there's knowledge and research and development and trends and advancements in "technology", etc. One of the more recent challenges is that, starting with the millennials, "traditional" worship no longer serves well. For reasons (discussions of which go beyond the scope of this thread), millennials generally make "meaning" in a wholly different way, a far more interactive and participatory way. It's not a matter of having younger members as worship leaders, leading worship in the "traditional" way, but rather having a radically different structure/nature of worship itself, one that provides platforms for self-directed "meaning"-making rather than packaging up "meaning" and delivering it adeptly.

I think this generational difference translates to practically every other aspect of society, such that each will either have to adjust to interacting with millennials (and beyond) or face the reality that millennials will form a separate sub-society where society doesn't adequately adjust. In the case of media, it apparently means eliminating controls over talk-back, but also probably extends into the manner by which news reporting itself is generated and promulgated. The expected impact seems to be elimination of the controls that our generation deems prudent, for curtailing trolling, but also perhaps even for ensuring news is reasonably accurate and unbiased.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've noticed that many churches, or their equivalent in various belief systems, have become more of a social center, with various services and activities, rather than static buildings wherein folks are "preached to".

Much of the misinformation and assorted vitriol on social media and in comments sections seems to come from "older" folks, many who can use Facebook or Twitter, but who haven't discovered another marvel of the internet age, the "search engine"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
There is a reason why many news sites have turn their comment section off over the past year. It made their readers look like uninformed lunatics.
Might be a smart move.

News article comments are the worst - as if posted by a different sub-species of humans.

Moderated forums are the only way go, imho, when having a discussion on the internet.

Of course, one could actually talk to others, face to face - but then you know manners get in the way of 'free expression'.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Might be a smart move.

News article comments are the worst - as if posted by a different sub-species of humans.

Moderated forums are the only way go, imho, when having a discussion on the internet.

Of course, one could actually talk to others, face to face - but then you know manners get in the way of 'free expression'.
+1 Our newspaper went to Facebook based posting due to the nasty and racist anonymous posts in the comments. Although a few trolls use a fake Facebook account, it is shocking to me what people will post under there own identity.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Fans of fringe 'free speech' activity often invest in specialized tools to promote their own view of the universe. There are automated and semi-automated comment posting tools in wide use, some tailored especially for news site comments sections. Just enter four or five bits of crazy that you want to push, use Google news to select your targets, and with a few clicks you too can speak for all the voices in your head on dozens of sites.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've noticed that many churches, or their equivalent in various belief systems, have become more of a social center, with various services and activities, rather than static buildings wherein folks are "preached to".
Churches have been social centers of the community at a number of times over the centuries.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Churches have been social centers of the community at a number of times over the centuries.

Agreed, though often they were the only choice. Now there's more competition from secular activities.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
There have been trolls on reddit since it was formed. Ms. Pao lost her job because she was a bad CEO - she didn't understand her product, and she didn't understand her customers. The trolls are just a convenient scapegoat for her to throw under the bus. And if you look at her history, she typically blames others for her lack of success. It's never her fault.
That's what I think as well. I'm certainly not a fan of trolls, but I'm also not a fan of Ms. Pao.