Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree that a made bed looks great, and am lucky that this is something that Lena does every day.

However, does it serve any non-cosmetic purpose?

If it were just me, I would just marginally straighten it up.

My worst habit: You're looking at it!
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I agree that a made bed looks great, and am lucky that this is something that Lena does every day.

However, does it serve any non-cosmetic purpose?

!
Sounds corny but I find a made bed in the morning makes me feel more productive all day. That is when I can persuade our fat cats to move and let me do it.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I am trying to develop a habit of going to bed at a reasonable hour (say, before 2 AM). But then, that is not easy if I sleep late, because then I am not tired until nearly dawn.

Getting up early would help, but this desire is at odds with the joy I feel in not setting an alarm in the morning.

So far, I have been forcing myself to get up if I should awaken briefly and it is after 8 AM. Sometimes I sleep through to late morning, though.

This is all too complicated. I guess we have to actually DO something before we can make a habit of it (more's the pity!)

Maybe I will try one of those expensive soothing alarms with ocean sounds or something. I am a light sleeper, and motivated to get up early. I just hate that dreaded "BUZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!" sound of my alarm clock that I heard each morning for so many years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

W2R, save your dough. We purchased an alarm clock with 20 different (electronically generated) sounds - birdsong, city life, fog horns, etc. - and they are all annoying when they wake you up at Oh Dark Thirty. I loved the fog horns at first, but now I hate them. I believe an alarm clock could make Debussy's "La Mer," coming out of Bose speakers, sound nerve-wracking. It's the "have to get up NOW" that stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I

Maybe I will try one of those expensive soothing alarms with ocean sounds or something. I am a light sleeper, and motivated to get up early. I just hate that dreaded "BUZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!" sound of my alarm clock that I heard each morning for so many years.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
W2R, save your dough. We purchased an alarm clock with 20 different (electronically generated) sounds - birdsong, city life, fog horns, etc. - and they are all annoying when they wake you up at Oh Dark Thirty. I loved the fog horns at first, but now I hate them. I believe an alarm clock could make Debussy's "La Mer," coming out of Bose speakers, sound nerve-wracking. It's the "have to get up NOW" that stinks.
I think you must be right. I have been spending the time since I posted, reading reviews of clocks like that on Amazon.com. None of them have great reviews, mostly because the sounds are annoying, on 5 second loops with clicks, and so on. I could get one that would play sounds from my iPhone or from a CD, I suppose. I was hoping for something simple. Most just have 3-5 sounds; yours must be a really nice one (as alarm clocks like that go).

Parenthetically, I was surprised to find that most of these clocks are under $100.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R, I thought one of the benefits of being retired was going to bed whenever you wanted and waking up whenever you wanted, no alarm necessary. Please don't disabuse me of this notion
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathoner View Post
W2R, I thought one of the benefits of being retired was going to bed whenever you wanted and waking up whenever you wanted, no alarm necessary. Please don't disabuse me of this notion
It is, and that is one of the things about ER that I love more than anything!

However, for some reason I keep staying up late at night. I'm like a kid who doesn't want to go to bed. But then, I miss the beauty and peace of early mornings if I don't get up before noon. If I could just stabilize things so that I habitually went to bed at midnight and got up at 7 every day, I would love that.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It is, and that is one of the things about ER that I love more than anything!

However, for some reason I keep staying up late at night. I'm like a kid who doesn't want to go to bed. But then, I miss the beauty and peace of early mornings if I don't get up before noon. If I could just stabilize things so that I habitually went to bed at midnight and got up at 7 every day, I would love that.
OK, the solution, instead of the dreaded alarm clock, is to stay up just a little bit later and then enjoy the beauty and peace of the really early mornings!

I fear that my natural rhythm involves staying up past midnight, so I imagine that once I am finally retired, I will be facing the same issues as you!

I actually should be in bed already, but I still have to shower after my evening run, so I guess I am a bit like a kid that doesn't want to go to bed, either.
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathoner View Post
OK, the solution, instead of the dreaded alarm clock, is to stay up just a little bit later and then enjoy the beauty and peace of the really early mornings!
Actually I have done that, probably once a week since I retired. Then the next evening it is easy to get to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathoner
I fear that my natural rhythm involves staying up past midnight, so I imagine that once I am finally retired, I will be facing the same issues as you!

I actually should be in bed already, but I still have to shower after my evening run, so I guess I am a bit like a kid that doesn't want to go to bed, either.
I always thought I was a morning person, but had no way of knowing until I retired. I am happier when I am up early and have time to relax before the day begins. However, I surprised myself when I retired and found that I was staying up so late. It sounds like you can relate to my rebellious wish to stay up so late.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

I think you must be right. I have been spending the time since I posted, reading reviews of clocks like that on Amazon.com. None of them have great reviews, mostly because the sounds are annoying, on 5 second loops with clicks, and so on. I could get one that would play sounds from my iPhone or from a CD, I suppose. I was hoping for something simple. Most just have 3-5 sounds; yours must be a really nice one (as alarm clocks like that go).

Parenthetically, I was surprised to find that most of these clocks are under $100.
I have loaded some of my favourite music tracks onto my Blackberry and set the alarm to wake me with a gradually escalating loop of Michael Buble singing "Can't buy me love". It is a very smooth way to wake up.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have loaded some of my favourite music tracks onto my Blackberry and set the alarm to wake me with a gradually escalating loop of Michael Buble singing "Can't buy me love". It is a very smooth way to wake up.
That sounds nice. I found a really nice CD of morning songbirds chirping, on Amazon, that is exactly what I would like (if there is anything that I would like). I just ordered it, along with a Sony alarm clock that can play a CD to awaken by. It also can handle input from an iPod or mp3 player or its own radio and so on, so if I get tired of listening to the birdies I can listen to music like you do.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I think you need a recording along these lines:

W2R. W2R sweetheart. W2R...
WAKE UP!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think you need a recording along these lines:

W2R. W2R sweetheart. W2R...
WAKE UP!!!
But, but, but.... I'll try the songbirds first, thankyouverymuch!

I'm going to start out by setting it for 9 AM for a few days, then 8 AM, then 7 AM. Easy does it. I love to awaken to the sounds of birds chirping outside my window after a rainstorm, so I am hoping this will have the same effect.

I can't believe that I ordered a new alarm clock. I have been using the same $5 digital alarm clock from K-Mart (with the big red numbers and dreadfully annoying BUZZ) for probably over 30 years.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Wow are we different. I'm usually asleep by 9:00pm +/- an hour. DW is the night owl, she's actually seen David Letterman live, but only a few times! I assume in my case it comes for a career requiring I get up at 4:45am...haven't shaken the habit yet. Lately I've slept in anywhere between 5:00am and 6:15am, though the latter usually after being out of bed for a few hours during the night. But I don't care.

If I have to set my alarm clock again, I'll have to find the instruction book...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Wow are we different. I'm usually asleep by 9:00pm +/- an hour. DW is the night owl, she's actually seen David Letterman live, but only a few times! I assume in my case it comes for a career requiring I get up at 4:45am...haven't shaken the habit yet. Lately I've slept in anywhere between 5:00am and 6:15am, though the latter usually after being out of bed for a few hours during the night.
Well, maybe there are other reasons. Before ER I was always seated at my desk at work before 6 AM, and really liked being up early like that.

In my case, I think it is just that I am enjoying every single minute so much that I don't want to miss anything and never want to go to bed. I consider going to bed, but even if exhausted the rebel in me takes over and I don't. Then once I"m finally in bed asleep, it is hard to awaken until I have at least 6 hours in.

Didn't get to bed until 3 AM last night, but managed to get up at 9 AM. I'd rather get up early like I did when I was w*rking, so maybe this new gentler alarm clock will help.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Great insights, thank you for sharing. This is actually one of my secret worries (well, I guess not so secret, anymore! ) as I approach ER in a few months, so the comments and the recommendations were very helpful. I have already ordered The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg, from Amazon.
boatfishandnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That sounds nice. I found a really nice CD of morning songbirds chirping, on Amazon, that is exactly what I would like (if there is anything that I would like).
On my first submarine in the 1980s, during the 90-day underways we used to break out our series of "nature sounds" cassette tapes. (Yeah, I know. Kids, go look it up.) We'd pop one of those into the wardroom sound system and play it at low volume during meals or even meetings. You'd hear birds chirping in the forest, or a coyote howling, maybe some approaching thunder with a rainstorm, and a babbling brook or a waterfall.

It was fun to watch people come into the wardroom, not really hearing the background noise at first, and then do a double-take. We'd listen to the damn things so often that people would actually pause the conversation to listen to their favorite parts.

Of course if you were listening to one of those and then it was interrupted by the general alarm or the fire alarm... or a loss of power... well, it's a harsh return to reality.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I wake with the birds at 5 AM then struggle to go back to sleep. I've discovered that the different species take turns. The robins are always first, and then they stop and another species starts up.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I have always had trouble with the birds in early am. When I was in high school I tried really hard to be in bed by 2:30 or so on Friday nights so I was sound asleep befrope they started up. To me, early am birdsong just means, OK, get up, it's day already!

It's especiially hard up here in the North, 'cause in summer those guys get a very early start!

Ha
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

It's especiially hard up here in the North, 'cause in summer those guys get a very early start!

Ha
We have one that occasionally sings in the middle of the night.