Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We have one that occasionally sings in the middle of the night.
We have a resident robin who's been sitting on the sculpture right outside our front door singing her fool head off almost like clockwork at 4am every day. The first time I heard it, I thought she was in the house! Actually it's cute...now that I know her routine.

She flops around the yard doing the injured wing routine when I mow too, though I haven't figured out where her nest is. Fun stuff...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wake with the birds at 5 AM then struggle to go back to sleep. I've discovered that the different species take turns. The robins are always first, and then they stop and another species starts up.
We live next to one of the island's biggest rooster farms, and they have guard dogs next to the rooster pens.

Luckily all our windows at that end of the house now have double panes. But after a few weeks your brain somehow makes it all fade away to white noise.

I really enjoy listening to our yard birds. Some of their calls are just beautiful, and we'll have dueling songbirds going all day long.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wake with the birds at 5 AM then struggle to go back to sleep. I've discovered that the different species take turns. The robins are always first, and then they stop and another species starts up.
Too bad I don't have your birds in MY yard! Seems like the birds here save their songs for rainy mornings.

My morning birdsongs CD starts with 5 minutes of robins before the other species get started, so I guess that's pretty realistic.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I wake up every morning to birdsong, from my parrots who have started imitating the outside birds, only louder and with a "wanna get up?" or a "good morning!" thrown in every few minutes. I just can't get that window covered up enough to trick them that the sun isn't up yet! Luckily they quiet down after about 15 minutes or so, for the rare occasions when I can sleep in.
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathoner View Post
I wake up every morning to birdsong, from my parrots who have started imitating the outside birds, only louder and with a "wanna get up?" or a "good morning!" thrown in every few minutes. I just can't get that window covered up enough to trick them that the sun isn't up yet! Luckily they quiet down after about 15 minutes or so, for the rare occasions when I can sleep in.
That is so cool that they are imitating outside birdsongs!

We used to use clothespins to fasten cheap bedspreads around the macaw cages after we put them inside the cages for the night. They liked that.

I probably told you before about the African Grey named Congo that we bird-sat for a long time, who use to demand in a loud, harsh voice, "CONGO WANT APPLE!!!" "CONGO APPLE!!!" when he wanted a treat in the morning. He could also simulate a squeaky door closing beautifully.

Back on topic, another habit that I need to work on is to finish my grocery shopping during the week, instead of finding out on a Saturday that I have nothing.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's called "dawn chorus" if you ever wanted to read more about it.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

After retiring, we go to bed earlier and get up earlier than when working. Mostly it's because we are outdoor people and we really appreciate the special time of the early morning outside - the light, the wildlife, the peacefulness.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
After retiring, we go to bed earlier and get up earlier than when working. Mostly it's because we are outdoor people and we really appreciate the special time of the early morning outside - the light, the wildlife, the peacefulness.
I don't. That's why I'm trying to establish a habit of getting up early.

Just kidding! I know exactly what you mean. I think sometimes it's a little a lot different issue for a single person with no pets, than otherwise.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
I am trying to develop a habit of going to bed at a reasonable hour (say, before 2 AM). But then, that is not easy if I sleep late, because then I am not tired until nearly dawn.

Getting up early would help, but this desire is at odds with the joy I feel in not setting an alarm in the morning.

So far, I have been forcing myself to get up if I should awaken briefly and it is after 8 AM. Sometimes I sleep through to late morning, though.

This is all too complicated. I guess we have to actually DO something before we can make a habit of it (more's the pity!)

Maybe I will try one of those expensive soothing alarms with ocean sounds or something. I am a light sleeper, and motivated to get up early. I just hate that dreaded "BUZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!" sound of my alarm clock that I heard each morning for so many years.
As I was lying in bed this morning at 6 AM, wishing I could sleep more, I thought about this. To avoid having to wake to an alarm, all you have to do is enforce your bedtime. If you get in the habit of being in bed with lights out at 2 AM, your problem is solved, right? Maybe an alarm at 1:30 AM is what you need.

I expect your body will adapt to the new schedule and not sleep until noon. Get lots of light when you wake up.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The birds begin at 4:00 here and my two cats begin dancing and whining for breakfast at 4:01. Impossible to sleep in. So I've become a very early morning person and actually love it. It is very peaceful to sit with a cup of coffee and watch the day dawn.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As I was lying in bed this morning at 6 AM, wishing I could sleep more, I thought about this. To avoid having to wake to an alarm, all you have to do is enforce your bedtime. If you get in the habit of being in bed with lights out at 2 AM, your problem is solved, right? Maybe an alarm at 1:30 AM is what you need.

I expect your body will adapt to the new schedule and not sleep until noon. Get lots of light when you wake up.
That might work and I'll try it. I tried to use the end of a particular TV show as a trigger to go to bed, but no luck so far. I''ll start turning on the bright lights when I get up; now that you mention it, light levels have often helped me to wake up more completely in the past.

Last night I went to bed at about 3, and awakened at 10 AM, missing virtually the entire morning again. Amazingly, the birds were chirping softly despite no rain. They weren't loud enough to awaken me this morning, even though usually they are. Luckily I can adjust the volume on the clock. I'll let you know how that works.

Seems like people with cats, like Marita40, have no problem getting up early because their cats awaken them. I even thought of getting a cat for that purpose, but decided that's not a good enough reason for me to take on the responsibilities of pet ownership.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Seems like people with cats, like Marita40, have no problem getting up early because their cats awaken them. I even thought of getting a cat for that purpose, but decided that's not a good enough reason for me to take on the responsibilities of pet ownership.
Maybe you could train Frank for that role. And unlike a cat, he can already feed himself...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Maybe you could train Frank for that role. And unlike a cat, he can already feed himself...
So true, but most days he awakens about 3-5 hours later than I do. He used to work swing shift whenever he could, and feels those hours are great for his natural biorhythms.

Bed needs to "air out"...
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Bed needs to "air out"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I also like to make the bed first thing in the morning. Since DH retired he sleeps later than me and he feels that beds should be left unmade for a block of time after you get up, he says it needs to "air out".
+1
I think it's a European thing. We always uncover the bed and open window for 20 minutes to air things out. DW wanted to make the bad 1st thing in the morning, so she did. I did not know how important the airing was, until it was time to move the old water bed. Without the usual airing, pad got moldy. So now we follow my routine even though we got rid of the flotation device years ago.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirka View Post
DW wanted to make the bad 1st thing in the morning...
Yes, that's the best time for it.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Well, I made my million meters. 1,001,165. Today is a hot day, it was a bit harder to row.

I also went to a little park in the next block. It's quiet spot, and gets good sun. I did a bit of sunbathing, and two or three young women were doing the same. I think I will do this any day with decent sun, though I expect only the weekend with have other sunners.

Tomorrow I will proceed at my normal rowing pace, then take Memorial Day off. Going forward, my plan is to row almost every day, whether I feel strong or not so strong, for an hour or so. Not making it a big deal, just something like doing the dishes or taking care of my teeth.

Ha
Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, I made my million meters. 1,001,165. Today is a hot day, it was a bit harder to row.

I also went to a little park in the next block. It's quiet spot, and gets good sun. I did a bit of sunbathing, and two or three young women were doing the same. I think I will do this any day with decent sun, though I expect only the weekend with have other sunners.

Tomorrow I will proceed at my normal rowing pace, then take Memorial Day off. Going forward, my plan is to row almost every day, whether I feel strong or not so strong, for an hour or so. Not making it a big deal, just something like doing the dishes or taking care of my teeth.

Ha
I was wondering what a C2 was -- now I'm guessing it is either a home exercise machine or a row boat?

Good luck on your exercise routine Ha!

P.S. I'm on vacation so logging in irregularly.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
WOW! Congratulations on an absolutely marvelous accomplishment.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations! Do you have another distance goal now that you've reached this one?
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Woo Hoo! Congratulations!