Join Early Retirement Today

Formula 1 is on!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
gone traveling

Formula 1 is on!

This has been in the making for quite some time and has undergone some setbacks along the way, but it now appears the US Formula 1 Grand Prix will return to the US next November in Austin, TX I've been to a few of these events over the years, Watkins Glen and Monza, Italy, and have been very anxious to see it return to the U.S.

Hearing these cars roar down the track gives me goosebumps. NASCAR aint nothin.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cool, but this is more my speed.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post

The drags will always be a sentimental favorite for me and it was nice to be part of that scene years ago. Wish I had the where with all to field a Pro Stock car in this day and age. Maybe we need to get some investors and have ERF car
Old 12-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
gone traveling

Wrong thread, but this ones for you 73ss454:

Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

We went to all the Phoenix F1 races but that has been it. We're thinking about going to Austin but the new time isn't as appealing as the original since DS in college won't be able to make it. We'll probably get there eventually.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
We went to all the Phoenix F1 races but that has been it. We're thinking about going to Austin but the new time isn't as appealing as the original since DS in college won't be able to make it. We'll probably get there eventually.
Thats right, aside from Indy, Phoenix served as the US venue for several years back in late 80s/early 90s I think. There was some problems out there one year with the heat and only a few cars finished.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Wrong thread, but this ones for you 73ss454:

Only problem with this video is the picture of the engine of the Mopar. That was a 413 with a cross ram but only available on the full bodied Mopars. The Mopars shown would have had the Max Wedge Intake manifold. Same engine but shorter rams on the intake. Otherwise the song is one of my favorite car songs, thanks!

Here is a picture of the Max Wedge engine, notice the Elephant Ear exhaust manifold along with the shorter rams on the intake. In 1963 the engine was upgraded to a 426 from the 413 CI. This is the top of the line engine in the mid sized Mopars from 1961 till 1964 1/2 when the Hemi took it's place.

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehi.../photo_02.html
Old 12-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thats right, aside from Indy, Phoenix served as the US venue for several years back in late 80s/early 90s I think. There was some problems out there one year with the heat and only a few cars finished.
It was hot every year I think. Stupid schedule. I think 6 cars finished and Eddie Cheever made the podium for the hottest race. They seem to do much better now, but it's a crazy time to sit outside.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Dakar 2012
Old 12-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #9

Dakar 2012

I will be going to the finish party for Dakar 2012 in a few weeks. I am rooting for this team!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5503-1.JPG (106.2 KB, 3 views)
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

And if Bernie can be believed we'll have a street circuit in New Jersey added in 2013.

T
Tif7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Our 2012 travel plans include being at the Texas race. I wonder how much tickets will cost?

Or, is this "If you need to ask, you can't afford it."
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post

Now you're talking! Could this be the same US 131 Martin dragway that I know? Boy does that bring back memories of my days in Kalamazoo, MI in the 60's. Big Daddy, the Snake, wheel stands (LA Dart), jet cars etc. Funny Cars were just coming into their own. The good old days.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm more into Grecian Formula these days...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote