Found replacement for IGoogle

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With IGoogle going bye-bye at end of month, I finally found a replacement home page that I like. www.startme.com

There are several others, but I found this one clean, easy to customize and not too much of a departure after years using the IGoogle home page...

YMMV

Thanks for this--I knew there had been some discussion around here and I'm easily as cranky about loosing iGoogle as I am about Picasaweb being replaced by Google photo. Thank goodness I can still access the Picasaweb interface!

Thank you Thank you!! I'm still using igoogle, and I hadn't found a good replacement yet. This one has promise. Thanks!

I started using ighome.com yesterday and it is promising. I have set it up to look almost like my IGoggle with same links, ect.

OK, I feel really silly saying this, but...

The main thing I will miss from igoogle is the little widget for funny cat photos. Every time you refresh the page you get a different cat photo.

I've found plenty of replacements for the more, um, boring parts of the start page (google news is OK for the news part). But, none of the alternatives I've found have a funny cat photos widget....

OK, I feel really silly saying this, but...

The main thing I will miss from igoogle is the little widget for funny cat photos. Every time you refresh the page you get a different cat photo.

I've found plenty of replacements for the more, um, boring parts of the start page (google news is OK for the news part). But, none of the alternatives I've found have a funny cat photos widget....

You can add widgets to IGHome.com, I believe. You will just need to find the address of it and add it to it. You probably can with others, also.

I'm curious what people add to their home pages. I just use google news, with customized settings. Between that and keeping tabs open to a few places I visit often is all I've ever felt I need.

Maybe I'm missing out? Don't need the cute kitten photos on a daily basis, but that's just me.

-ERD50

I'm curious what people add to their home pages. I just use google news, with customized settings. Between that and keeping tabs open to a few places I visit often is all I've ever felt I need.

Maybe I'm missing out? Don't need the cute kitten photos on a daily basis, but that's just me.

-ERD50

here are the 'lists' or categories of bookmarks and feeds on my homepage using 'startme'..
Local News and Weather
News RSS feed
Business
Travel
TV
Shopping
Music
Investments
Banking
Social

just a launch pad...and only a few bookmarks in each..most visited sites, etc

-ERD50
I have 5-9 feeds of top stories on Fox News, Huffington Post, Wall Street Journal, Fox Sports, Local Weather, TMZ, Stock Market index's, Drudge Report.

-ERD50

News
Business news
Tech news
Engadget feed
NFL news
Movie showtimes
URL links for many accounts
Weather
Portfolio quotes

You can add widgets to IGHome.com, I believe. You will just need to find the address of it and add it to it. You probably can with others, also.

I found a way to search gadgets. I put in

Funny Cat Photos - http://blog.esaba.com

which is where the photos on igoogle came from, but this didn't come up as a gadget in ighome. Is there a way to make it one?

I've found igHome.com is by far the best replacement option so far. It can import igoogle's XML file so you don't have to set stuff back up.

I found a way to search gadgets. I put in

Funny Cat Photos - http://blog.esaba.com

which is where the photos on igoogle came from, but this didn't come up as a gadget in ighome. Is there a way to make it one?

I clicked on the tab in ighome " Add gadgets", then put in search for gadgets box "Funny Cat" and I think your site came up. I then added it to my page and there are funny cat photos.

HTH

I clicked on the tab in ighome " Add gadgets", then put in search for gadgets box "Funny Cat" and I think your site came up. I then added it to my page and there are funny cat photos.

HTH

Yes!!! This worked! I now have funny cat photos! Thanks. :flowers:

Thanks everyone for the replies to what you use your home page for. After looking through those, I think my customized google news page, plus a few pages open to places of interest is what works for me. But I can see why people might want this all on one page. I might try it sometime.

-ERD50

I was wondering if anyone knows how to move your favorites file from one webpage to another without actually entering each one individually. I have a folder that say favorites in my hard drive but don't know how to apply it to the new home page and make it work. thanks

frank

For home page
MYWAY.COM
customize as my.myway.com

For favorites, use Chrome bookmarks bar. Create folders for News, Forums, Gmail, Google apps, Tech, Buy etc, then drag icon for the chosen website that you are on, into that folder. Clicking on the folder opens drop down links. On my Chrome home page, I have 10 folders and about 300+ links.

I am still trying out alternatives and to be frank, don't really like any of them. Maybe I am really picky, but none of them look as good as iGoogle does. I hope the fleas of a thousand camels do you-know-what to Google for getting rid of it.

I'm really going to miss iGoogle when it leaves us in a day or 2.

I am still trying out alternatives and to be frank, don't really like any of them. Maybe I am really picky, but none of them look as good as iGoogle does. I hope the fleas of a thousand camels do you-know-what to Google for getting rid of it. I'm really going to miss iGoogle when it leaves us in a day or 2.

You and me both! I haven't found anything that will work like the Picasa photo gadget, especially. It did help to export my existing page to the IG Home one, but it just isn't the same. Same wishes for the fleas.

Back
Top Bottom