Fourth new roof in 8 years! WTH?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Was told today by my insurer that the roof is totaled yet again by hail. That will make the 4th new roof in 8 years on this property. I don't live on the plains, so I never dreamed this would all be an issue. I got a $9k estimate from my roofer for replacement asphalt shingles. Now I am wondering if there is something more hail resistant. Tiles are out due to cost and weight on the structure. Anyone know if metal roofs are vastly more expensive than asphalt shingles? Are there other options?

I'd ask the insurer. They should be motivated for you to buy a hail resistant roof, right?

-ERD50

Four roofs in eight years? Yikes! Do the neighbor's houses also suffer frequent roof damage?

Brewer12345,
Not sure about hail with metal. We're on the FL. Treasure Coast looking at property, one of the things their pushing is metal roofs for hurricanes. They say its better than tile, tile can crack. Best wishes

I'm on my 3rd roof in 15 years and thought that was bad, but your place is a real hail magnet.

I did check out the cost of a metal roof a few years ago and it was roughly 3X the cost of asphalt shingles. While highly hail resistant when it comes to leaks, metal roofs are no more immune to cosmetic damage than a car. Your local 'pop-a-dent' franchise could make a killing...

erd50 is probably right about asking the insurance company which roof is best, though I would not have thought to ask them. with all the research insurance companies are doing on exterior housing products, I am sure they would have have some ideas.

In our old house we had 4 roof jobs in 20 yrs. I always thought north Texas was the hail capital of the world, but it looks like Denver area may be taking over that distinction. If the hail is large enough, I am not sure anything is hail resistant, although metal is certainly way better than asphalt, but much more expensive and not permitted by many HOA if that applies to you.

I am hoping we just had a run of bad luck. Metal roofing is 2 to 3 times the cost of asphalt according to the metal roofing association website. Way beyond my price range, especially for something I don't care for the appearance of.

I was thinking some type of cementatious shakes might hold up well to hail, look good, and be less weight and expense than clay tiles. After all, the Hardiplank siding and trim is darn good. But, it looks like their roofing products (HardiShake), have had a lot of problems and have been subject to some class action lawsuits. Maybe they (or another company) have fixed the problem, they have apparently not been trouble-free in the past.

Last edited:
Class 4 roofs are tested with 1.25 to 2 inch steel balls dropped twice from 12 to 20 feet onto the roof. There exist class 4 shingles, shakes, tile, panels and sheets. If you get one of these roofs you do get a 20% + discount on homeowners insurance if you are willing to accept cosmetic damage. With my house in Tx the second time the roof got hit, a standing seam metal roof was put on. With a 1% deductable on the homeowners insurace, as well as the discounts, the fact was that when a third storm hit, and all the neighbors roofs had to be replaced between not having to pay the deductable on the roof, as well as the insurance savings over 10 years the additional cost paid for itself. My neighbor had 3 roofs in 6 years and gave up and went metal also.
Look up class 4 impact resistant roofs and you can find the types that are available.

In our old house we had 4 roof jobs in 20 yrs. I always thought north Texas was the hail capital of the world, but it looks like Denver area may be taking over that distinction. If the hail is large enough, I am not sure anything is hail resistant, although metal is certainly way better than asphalt, but much more expensive and not permitted by many HOA if that applies to you.
Note that there exist products that look like shingles as tile and shakes that are class 4 impact resistant. So you don't have to go for the standing seam model, although if the right color it also cuts cooling costs.

Haven't really seen this in a good while, but when I was kid growing up in the deep south (North Carolina), I used to see (mostly trailer-houses/mobile homes) with old tires on the roofs. It seemed not uncommon, especially further out from town. I don't know why, other than maybe extra weight to hold the roof down in a windy storm...? Some of them had quite a few up there too. So....maybe that's the answer! Completely cover your rooftop with old car tires. The hail would just bounce right off! Yes, I'm a smart-ass!

... I used to see (mostly trailer-houses/mobile homes) with old tires on the roofs. It seemed not uncommon, especially further out from town. I don't know why, other than maybe extra weight to hold the roof down in a windy storm...?
Don't be silly. That's where they store trailer tires until they get ready to relocate.

Don't be silly. That's where they store trailer tires until they get ready to relocate.

lol...ok, if you say so! Voice of experience? :LOL:

And...I'll go ahead and admit that in my younger days, I did live in a trailer or two. Probably about 5, to be exact.

No tires on the roof, though.:angel:

Last edited:
Class 4 roofs are tested with 1.25 to 2 inch steel balls dropped twice from 12 to 20 feet onto the roof. There exist class 4 shingles, shakes, tile, panels and sheets. If you get one of these roofs you do get a 20% + discount on homeowners insurance if you are willing to accept cosmetic damage. With my house in Tx the second time the roof got hit, a standing seam metal roof was put on. With a 1% deductable on the homeowners insurace, as well as the discounts, the fact was that when a third storm hit, and all the neighbors roofs had to be replaced between not having to pay the deductable on the roof, as well as the insurance savings over 10 years the additional cost paid for itself. My neighbor had 3 roofs in 6 years and gave up and went metal also.
Look up class 4 impact resistant roofs and you can find the types that are available.

My neighbor opted for one of these class 4 shingles. I think it may have been an Atlas product and he did get a break on his insurance as you indicated. However, we had a significant hail storm and that roof also needed to be replaced as did mine. They decided not to go with the extra up front expense again for that type of shingle. That was several years ago, maybe these products have improved further and become less costly.

Didn't that make it crowded under there for all the dogs?

I was an uppity trailer park dweller. We always had skirting. No dogs under the house, that I knew about.

To be clear, I grew up in a brick house my parents built when I was a year old. The only trailers I ever lived in were after I left home at the wise old age of 17!

There are different gauges of metal available, as well as steel vs. aluminum. The quote I got for aluminum was wildly expensive. Quotes also varied significantly between contractors. In the end we went with a local guy who did the job for about twice what a good asphalt shingle job would have cost with tear-off.

We also opted for 24-gauge steel; the residential standard up here in Wisconsin is 29 gauge.

There are different gauges of metal available, as well as steel vs. aluminum. The quote I got for aluminum was wildly expensive. Quotes also varied significantly between contractors. In the end we went with a local guy who did the job for about twice what a good asphalt shingle job would have cost with tear-off.

We also opted for 24-gauge steel; the residential standard up here in Wisconsin is 29 gauge.
The sky is the limit after all you could go with copper roofing, which would turn a nice green after a couple of years.
The trick is to look for class 4 impact resistance. Here is a link to a web site that provides details on the testing: Blueprint for Safety

Note that shakes and tiles are tested using iceballs, instead of steel balls.

I found a link to a listing of class 4 impact resistant and wind resistant asphalt shingles: http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Roofs/wind-resistant-asphalt-shingles:
These materials cost about 50% more than regular shingles, but install the same according to the web site. Owens Corning is one of the manufactures listed.

Last edited:

You guys in WI get tons of snow on the roof. I lived there (Janesville) for awhile. That stuff gets pretty heavy, I imagine. I liked looking at it (the white stuff) but wasn't so crazy about having to clear it off my driveway, sidewalk, front porch, mailbox etc.! Nice place to live, though.

I roofed my home this past winter. About 1500 sq. foot home. Architectural shingles replacement was going to be $6500. I went with the 29 gauge myself and house was done for $5800, so it was less (however, this includes the approx. $400 tax credit I received also). Many insurance carriers provide metal roof discount on premiums though this I believe means you sign off on not collecting for metal ding hailstorms. I will be investigating this discount more when my premium expires as current carrier did not offer the discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in Missouri it actually does hail steel balls....And that is pretty much what it takes to live here..:rolleyes:

Do class 4 impact resistant shingles carry a warranty that pays for hail damage?

I roofed my home this past winter. About 1500 sq. foot home. Architectural shingles replacement was going to be $6500. I went with the 29 gauge myself and house was done for $5800, so it was less (however, this includes the approx. $400 tax credit I received also). Many insurance carriers provide metal roof discount on premiums though this I believe means you sign off on not collecting for metal ding hailstorms. I will be investigating this discount more when my premium expires as current carrier did not offer the discount.

Yep, I forgot about the tax credit. Nice little perk.

Back
Top Bottom