Foyle's War Fans??

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you are a fan of Foyle's War here is good news:

Foyle's War," the World War II-set British detective series last seen here in 2010 under the banner of PBS' "Masterpiece Mystery," will return for an eighth season in 2013, with three new feature-length episodes.

I am still waiting for DCS Foyle to visit America and bring that murderous big-shot to justice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, DW and I are both fans of it.

DW and I are big fans; we've watched all episodes thus far. I'm anxious to see the new episodes but, have to say I'm concerned that any set in America will be less entertaining. Half the enjoyment for me is watching the [-]odd[/-] unique English ways.

Sorry Alan; no offense intended.

Last edited:
DW and I are big fans; we've watched all episodes thus far. I'm anxious to see the new episodes but, have to say I'm concerned that any set in America will be less entertaining. Half the enjoyment for me is watching the [-]odd[/-] unique English ways.

Sorry Alan; no offense intended.

Non taken :)

I agree that the charm of the program is that it is set in WW II England.

I'm a huge fan. Surprised that there are going to be more episodes, but very happy.

Michael Kitchen's portrayal of Foyle is first rate.

Try Midsommer Murders if you like to see quirky English ways. Better yet, check out Doc Martin. Talk about eccentric people!

Yep, agree MM is good. For Foyle's War fans, give Inspector Lewis a try, great stuff.

Think I'm secretly in love with Honnysuckle Weeks.

BTW, if you like Inspector Lewis (shown on PBS) there is a treasure trove of Inspector Morse DVD's at Netflix. I believe many of these were not shown here in the USA. The first one was done in 1987 and the highest numbered one I've seen is #33.

DW and I are big fans of Foyle's War, Midsomer, Inspector Lewis and just about any other British mystery series. Loved the Downton Abbey PBS series as well.

Think I'm secretly in love with Honnysuckle Weeks.

BTW, if you like Inspector Lewis (shown on PBS) there is a treasure trove of Inspector Morse DVD's at Netflix. I believe many of these were not shown here in the USA. The first one was done in 1987 and the highest numbered one I've seen is #33.

We've watched a few Inspector Morse but, like Inspector Lewis better. DW fancies Hathaway. Me, I share your now not so secret love of Honeysucle Weeks. Could spend months with Weeks. :LOL:

Love the show, will have to wait until Netflix, streams it.

We've watched a few Inspector Morse but, like Inspector Lewis better. DW fancies Hathaway. ...
The Lewis/Hathaway combo is great. Lawrence Fox who plays Hathaway is a superb actor.

I've just got to urge people to check out the Inspector Morse series as John Thaw was a one of the really great English actors: John Thaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Inspector Morse character invented by the wonderful writer Colin Dexter was quite a character and it seems that it fit Thaw's real life and acting talent exceptionally welll.

Sorry, I know this is thread drift but could not help myself.

The Lewis/Hathaway combo is great. Lawrence Fox who plays Hathaway is a superb actor.

I've just got to urge people to check out the Inspector Morse series as John Thaw was a one of the really great English actors: John Thaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Inspector Morse character invented by the wonderful writer Colin Dexter was quite a character and it seems that it fit Thaw's real life and acting talent exceptionally welll.

Sorry, I know this is thread drift but could not help myself.

We have all of the Inspector Morse episodes on DVD. Have you seen A Touch of Frost? We also enjoy Poirot and Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) mysteries. Yes we really like English mysteries but we also enjoy anything based on early 20th century England such as the Upstairs/Downstairs series, Gosford Park, and as I mentioned earlier the current Masterpiece series Downton Abbey.

We have all of the Inspector Morse episodes on DVD. Have you seen A Touch of Frost? We also enjoy Poirot and Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) mysteries. Yes we really like English mysteries but we also enjoy anything based on early 20th century England such as the Upstairs/Downstairs series, Gosford Park, and as I mentioned earlier the current Masterpiece series Downton Abbey.
Those are all great recommendations and we've seen them all. We've been fans of Masterpiece Mystery and Masterpiece Theatre since the early 1970's. I don't admire the class system in England (remnants still around) but all those kings and queens plus two world wars left them a lot to dramatize. Also for some reason the writers and actors tend to be particularly smart about the language. ;)

We love Foyle's war too.

Another one to try on Netflix is 'George Gently' a 1960's detective period piece starring Martin Shaw, only about 9 episodes, but well worth it.

If you want a great bit of humour, with an English historical slant, check out the Blackadder series. Absolutely hysterical.
Stars Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean / Johnny English fame) and a certain tall skinny bloke who went on to some acclaim in an American show about a grouchy doctor.

We love Foyle's war too.

Another one to try on Netflix is 'George Gently' a 1960's detective period piece starring Martin Shaw, only about 9 episodes, but well worth it.

I'm pleased to hear that someone over here likes Inspector Gently. It is set in my part of the world, Durham, in the 60's so it is very nostalgic for me.

Looks like the next season will begin filming this September and be shown in the UK in 2013. I imagine those of us across the pond will get then later in 2013.

Yep, Honeysuckle Weeks was the best bit of Foyle's War. Doc Martin is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I liked "Life on Mars" and "Ashes to Ashes". I just wish they would show Heartbeat ;) Its like "All Creatures Great and Small" but with police instead of vets.

I'm pleased to hear that someone over here likes Inspector Gently. It is set in my part of the world, Durham, in the 60's so it is very nostalgic for me.

I know you have "Likely Lads" CDs

Yep, Honeysuckle Weeks was the best bit of Foyle's War. Doc Martin is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I liked "Life on Mars" and "Ashes to Ashes". I just wish they would show Heartbeat ;) Its like "All Creatures Great and Small" but with police instead of vets.
Speaking of "All Creatures Great and Small", remember Tristan (Peter Davison) the vet's assistant? He starred in another TV drama called The Last Detective. The series is available on Netflix. We really enjoyed this funky police drama.

Looking forward to Foyle's War when it floats over here some day.

Back
Top Bottom