Join Early Retirement Today

Frank Sinatra on TCM
Old 05-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Frank Sinatra on TCM

Anyone watching the Frank Sinatra specials on Turner Classic Movies this month? I still think 'ole blue eyes is one of the best singers of all time. My father was a big fan so I grew up listening to him. Sinatra was a pretty good actor too. TCM will be featuring his movies as well as musical performances.

Here's the link: TCM PRESENTS - FRANK SINATRA: THE MAN AND HIS MOVIES

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mr. Frank Sinatra the Chairman of the Board - pure gold.

God Bless Us All

Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I'm going to try and catch some of those movies and performances.

I like the "I did it my way" philosophy Sinatra had. I have the same way of thinking. A lot of times it means you take the road less traveled, but like the Robert Frost poem says, it makes all the difference.

One mistake he did make is that he stayed in the business too long. Sinatra turned down the "Dirty Harry" role, but one line from that character that he should have adopted is "A man's got to know his limitations."
Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I maybe in the minority here but I think Frank is a little overrated. Give me Dean Martin anyday over Frank. Dean was a better singer and actor just one guys opinion.

To each his own.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohnsWood View Post
I maybe in the minority here but I think Frank is a little overrated. Give me Dean Martin anyday over Frank. Dean was a better singer and actor just one guys opinion.

To each his own.
Dean was very good too, but not the leader is the business that Frank was. Dino was very good when he worked. The problem was he didn't like to work. Frank, on the other hand, was very good too, and he worked himself to death, almost literally. They both had raw talent, except Frank made more use of it and, therefore, stands out more than Dean in both film and music.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom had LPs of many of the crooners: Sinatra, Martin, SDJr, Williams, etc. As a younger person, I found them not unpleasant but mostly boring. As an adult, and closet musician, I can now appreciate the talent, if not the style of music.

Don't remember the program, maybe Carson, but I saw Mel Torme several years back. Rather than crooning, he did a jazz/blues tune in the scat style. He was amazingly good! Another, still going I think, is Tony Bennett.

Still, I can't help but think of the Perry Como skits they used to do on SNL... And the Sinatra skits by Joe Piscapo, mostly about Sinatra punching out every one in sight...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote