Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I can't really understand thinking the world would be better with more clerks.
So use the self-check.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I use the self check out if the store has one. I like to pack my own bags since the baggers or cashiers usually do a lousy job of it.

We have 7 Super Walmarts, three Sam's Clubs and a Costco within a 15 mile radius of our location so they are heavily used stores. Always hiring clerks, etc.

Generally, the isles with cashiers are so long at WM it takes quite a while to get through the process. I can't understand why a store would have 40 check out positions and only staff a handful of them during the busiest times, like Saturday mid-day.

A Whole Foods store is opening in our neighborhood soon. I will shop there for some items. I've only been in one of their stores and liked it.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Walmart has a lot of self check registers in my area. Ive wondered how much theft there is in this area. There is one worker overseeing 8 self check registers.

I have no idea what are typical retail fraud rates but it seems like they would save a huge amount in wages with seven less cashiers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even when we occasionally go through a checkout line, because we have too many items, or there is no self checkout, or we need some special price assistance, my husband usually packs the bags and the checker doesn't have to slow down. We started this because over 20 years ago when we started bringing our own bags and the packers would have no idea what to do, so DH would show them. It's not unusual to bring your own bags now, but it took a long time before the non-Whole Foods chains got up to speed.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I have no idea what are typical retail fraud rates but it seems like they would save a huge amount in wages with seven less cashiers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Maybe, but I notice that in most of the Walmarts I've been in, the self checkout aisles are usually quite empty.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm a die-hard self-checker-outer, even at Walmart.
+1. Given the choice, I'll use self-checkout every time. Our local grocery store has instituted a 25 item max for self-checkout, I can live with that.

At stores that offer self-checkout, maybe people who insist on using (higher cost) clerk assisted checkout should pay a checkout fee? Wonder if that's gonna come next?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 AM   #27

Best of both worlds. When we use the self checkout they assign a clerk to us since we have so many problems with the process.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
At stores that offer self-checkout, maybe people who insist on using (higher cost) clerk assisted checkout should pay a checkout fee? Wonder if that's gonna come next?
Maybe we can skip the store completely and just net out the difference between consumers. Send me your address, I'll mail you a nickel.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #29

I've never run into the "frazzled" checker, mostly the frazzled checkee. The one trying to use an invalid CC, can't figure out how to run the CC scanner, trying to root around in the bottom of a purse for exact change, waiting to the very last to even start filling out the paper check....

I use the self check everywhere it is available, walmart, kroger, homedepot, I usually only have a few items, I go when the walmart crowd is light and the self check is usually empty. And they do check for unscanned items, especially if it is not in a bag.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Maybe we can skip the store completely and just net out the difference between consumers. Send me your address, I'll mail you a nickel.
I think Jeff Bezos already had that idea!

-ERD50
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I never use the self check out:
(1) The cost of the human checker is built into the price of the goods you buy.
(2) Cost benefit, the store will install more self checkers, if more people self check out thus needing less workers.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTX View Post
I never use the self check out:
(2) Cost benefit, the store will install more self checkers, if more people self check out thus needing less workers.
Go to a Lowes....I use the self checkout in the store near us because you can't find a cashier (or another person to help you) within earshot of where you are standing.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Go to a Lowes....I use the self checkout in the store near us because you can't find a cashier (or another person to help you) within earshot of where you are standing.
Eventually all stores will be like that. Just trying to slow the migration, in my own little way. In the not too distance future your "device" will link to the cart or trolley and when you depart the store your credit card will be charged for your purchases. Either we are paying a little more to use a human now or we will be paying a lot more to support them on welfare or food stamps when innovation turns them into this century's horses.

However, if you received a discount for using the self checkers, I would be all over it. So yes I am a hypocrite.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Either we are paying a little more to use a human now or we will be paying a lot more to support them on welfare or food stamps when innovation turns them into this century's horses. ...
Referencing my earlier post, explain to me why we don't have 70% unemployment as farm workers were displaced?

-ERD50
Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

When we go to Stop and Shop, we get one of those had held scanners, ring up everything as we put it into the bags in out cart and then just can our card at the exit and all is rung up. I do not think it takes us more than 30 seconds at the register.

I am waiting for the day when every package has a NFC chip on it and when you walk out your whole cart is scanned and automatically charged to your credit card. No need to even go to a register.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Eventually all stores will be like that. Just trying to slow the migration, in my own little way. In the not too distance future your "device" will link to the cart or trolley and when you depart the store your credit card will be charged for your purchases. Either we are paying a little more to use a human now or we will be paying a lot more to support them on welfare or food stamps when innovation turns them into this century's horses.

However, if you received a discount for using the self checkers, I would be all over it. So yes I am a hypocrite.
I think it was about 10 years ago, same retailer ,Walmart , was absolutely serious about making suppliers put an rfid tag on every package. It didn't happen do to cost. IIRC they do have rfid on every pallet and readers on all over the place at distribution centers , not just for loss control , but to keep track of so much stuff in transit
Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Most of what I buy is fresh produce. Self-checkout with that is a real pain at our local store. There's a guided menu to traverse for each item until it's identified. Then weighed. Then bagged. Repeat for next item.

The clerks know the produce, and just drop it on their scale and key in the item code. They're about 10-20 times faster than the self-check system.

No, the fresh produce doesn't come with a barcode on each tomato, carrot, potato, or ear of corn. I like it that way. Even if the labels are edible, I don't need that sort of fiber or adhesive in my diet. And an RFID tag in every radish? Please...
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In a way it is a lot farther along than most people will agree....

Most of us know back when you drove into a gas station and someone came out and filled up your tank... there was a good possibility they would clean your windows.... and if you asked they would check your oil level...

Show me where that is happening now (except the states that require it).... I know around here they had a station with a service line for awhile, but that went away since people did not want to pay the extra charge (I think 20 cents per gall)....

You eat at Chipolte and there are no waitstaff... you buy your food in line and most people buss their own table... other places are doing the same... this is different than fast food that has been doing this for decades....

You can buy your movie ticket online or at a machine at the theater bypassing the ticket line...

The car wash I go to have machines where you choose what you want and then drive through... two people scrub off the bad stuff and places that are hard to get too, but the rest of the process is automated.... you can then vacuum your own car at the end...

Yes, many of the service that used to be out there that would employee a good number of people are now gone... no wonder it is hard for the teens to find a job... one on my soccer team said he needed a reference to get a job sacking at a local grocer...
Old 03-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Most of what I buy is fresh produce. Self-checkout with that is a real pain at our local store. There's a guided menu to traverse for each item until it's identified. Then weighed. Then bagged. Repeat for next item.

The clerks know the produce, and just drop it on their scale and key in the item code. They're about 10-20 times faster than the self-check system.

No, the fresh produce doesn't come with a barcode on each tomato, carrot, potato, or ear of corn. I like it that way. Even if the labels are edible, I don't need that sort of fiber or adhesive in my diet. And an RFID tag in every radish? Please...

I am surprised they do not have this option at the produce section... where we shop there are a number of scales.... you put the produce on the scale and input the 4 digit number of the item... then hit print and you have your scan code... does not slow down at the registers...
Old 03-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Assuming a competitive marketplace:
(1) The "average checkout cost" is built into the cost of the good, not the "human checker" cost. If self-check saves money and more people use it, the prices of the groceries will be lower.
(2) And prices will be lower

Except for Aldi, I haven't seen the grocery-cart-return-deposit-device used in the U.S., it's very popular in Europe. Put a quarter in the small device on the handle and the short chain releases from the "on deck" cart allowing you to remove the last cart. Return the cart and plug in the chain and your quarter drops back out. If you want to leave your cart in the parking lot rather than return it to the stack, that's fine, somebody will come along soon to return that cart and claim the quarter. It cuts down on loose carts in the parking lot and the need to hire cart wranglers.

In principle I'm fine with charging people for plastic bags, too. Works a lot better than pleading and guilting them to bring their own.