Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am surprised they do not have this option at the produce section... where we shop there are a number of scales.... you put the produce on the scale and input the 4 digit number of the item... then hit print and you have your scan code... does not slow down at the registers...
Great idea. None of the retailers with self checkout I have seen do that, except the service deli counter at one store. The produce look-up at the self check-out is a real time consuming p.i.t.a. IMO.

Maybe the retailers should have folks or bots surfing the internet to read our forum posts , for true customer feedback.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #42

I notice at the self-checkout, there is much less of the "clerk stares into computer screen waiting for something, for one or two minutes" syndrome. That's why I use the self-checkout line.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In a way it is a lot farther along than most people will agree....

Most of us know back when you drove into a gas station and someone came out and filled up your tank... there was a good possibility they would clean your windows.... and if you asked they would check your oil level...
And if Dad had left you in the car for a minute to go do something... and you cranked the steering wheel side to side (before the days of those 'anti-theft' steering locks of course) while they were checking the air in the tires - WOW did the attendant get ticked off!

Reading this post prompted a flashback and made me laugh at the remembrance.

And, well I avoid the self check-out registers, I'd rather wait in line and people watch at Wally World, it's cheap entertainment.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTX View Post
However, if you received a discount for using the self checkers, I would be all over it. So yes I am a hypocrite.
Pretty soon you will be paying extra to NOT use the self checkouts.

Remember the day when ATMs came out? Some banks now charge you extra to use a teller.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #45

Quote:
I am surprised they do not have this option at the produce section... where we shop there are a number of scales.... you put the produce on the scale and input the 4 digit number of the item... then hit print and you have your scan code... does not slow down at the registers...
I've used those also. I typically buy the same produce most of the time so I remember the PLU code, for bananas it's 4011. Just put it on the scale/scanner, punch it the PLU and it rings it up. Most of the fresh produce has a little PLU sticker on it.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Great and lively discussion. It is a double edge sword. The last jobs of the jobs that can't be outsourced are being automatized. Next will be robots doing fast food jobs and you using a touch screen to place your order. I own IRBT, ROK, CSCO and INTC to at least profit from this trend. Just bought more INTC.
ERTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. Given the choice, I'll use self-checkout every time. Our local grocery store has instituted a 25 item max for self-checkout, I can live with that.

At stores that offer self-checkout, maybe people who insist on using (higher cost) clerk assisted checkout should pay a checkout fee? Wonder if that's gonna come next?
Our main grocery store has 20 item limit, and we rarely have more than that, so it works well for us. We get through very quickly.

For a while they took it down to 15 items, and that made it a little tougher on us. But after a few months they took it back up to 20. We were very happy.

We notice most carts going through manned checkout lanes are really full. And the "fast" manned checkout lanes have really low limits, like 10 items or less, but self-checkout is still faster. There is rarely any wait at all at the self checkout which has four stations.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

This reminds me of a trip to Home Depot not too long ago. Over the self-checkout area there was a HUGE sign that said something along the lines of, "WE LOVE OUR CASHIERS!!!". I thought it was a bit ironic.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

There was interest in the Robinhood account. I used these account to purchase INTC today. If the money is in the account the order will post on that day's batch. You can invest as little as $10 or as much as $10K per stock, per trading day with no fees.

https://www.loyal3.com/stocks
Old 03-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
This reminds me of a trip to Home Depot not too long ago. Over the self-checkout area there was a HUGE sign that said something along the lines of, "WE LOVE OUR CASHIERS!!!". I thought it was a bit ironic.
Walmart's slogan starting out was "American Made Matters" - try finding something made in America today that is sold there.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Walmart's slogan starting out was "American Made Matters" - try finding something made in America today that is sold there.
That's a good point. I had Cracker Barrel the other day for lunch and while waiting to be seated, checked out the gift shop. It was very difficult to find ANYTHING that was made in America. Even the Americana stuff was made in China.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There was interest in the Robinhood account. I used these account to purchase INTC today. If the money is in the account the order will post on that day's batch. You can invest as little as $10 or as much as $10K per stock, per trading day with no fees.

https://www.loyal3.com/stocks
People say using batch you get a bad price, I all ways get a decent to great price.

Low of the day (so far) was $32.48 and I received $32.51.

03/09/2015 Intel one time buy order 215.3184 $32.51 ($7,000.00)
Old 03-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

One of the big Chicago grocery chains pulled its self checkout machines a couple of years ago. Sometimes these incredible ideas aren't always cost-effective (machines have to be maintained, security has to be increased to watch the double secret surveillance videos, not to mention are they really going to risk apprehending the shoplifters and endangering the staff and other shoppers vs paying a couple more part time checkout people for the busy hours?).

Quote:
A company spokeswoman said loss prevention and a desire to improve customer service were factors in the decision.

Source: Jewel-Osco Ditches Self-Checkout in Some Stores | NBC Chicago
I will use a self checkout if no one else is using it in front of me, but a clerk would have my complete order rung up before I can scan my first item.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Most people here will remember many people were thrown when confronted with pumping their own gas. But that quickly changed, and now I suspect most drivers would be put off if they could NOT pump their own gas vs paying a higher price and waiting for an attendant (yep, looking at you New Jersey & Oregon - like the other 48 states are wrong ).

Self-serve checkout/kiosks will grow to a critical mass too...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You were never frazzled on the job? Unfortunately we all see frazzled people/workers everywhere from time to time. It's not about Wall Mart WalMart or "checkers." One data point...
The last year on the job , I think I was worse than Frazzled.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Great and lively discussion. It is a double edge sword. The last jobs of the jobs that can't be outsourced are being automatized. Next will be robots doing fast food jobs and you using a touch screen to place your order.
The newer Paneras down here in SWFL have Express Lane Kiosks where you can punch in your order on a touch screen and pay, then you take an electronic tracker to your table and they deliver the food to you. It works pretty well. You can personalize the order (no onions on the salad or whatever). When the regular lines are busy I'll use the kiosk, but otherwise I go to the cashier. I've noticed you can also place your order online and it will be ready when you get there, both for carry out and eating in.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Some of the stores around here do that. The only one I can remember for sure is the Wegman's.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I do not shop. I delegated that 100% to Mr B because he despises doing house cleaning.
I keep the house clean. Pretty slick huh ?

I boycott WallyWorld because a) they do not treat their employees well, and b) have way too much NOT MADE IN AMERICA junk. Add to that the noise from screaming kids...

I've convinced Mr B to also boycott WallyWorld. He goes to a local NY supermarket chain and Aldi's. Lots of Made In America stuff at both. Employees seem reasonably happy at both.

He actually enjoys shopping now, minus the WM nonsense. He's excellent at finding the best prices. "Hunter-gatherer" is my nickname for him when he goes shopping.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Maybe, but I notice that in most of the Walmarts I've been in, the self checkout aisles are usually quite empty.
That's because it takes effort to check yourself out and it's hard to do from a rascal scooter! But seriously, I don't shop at Walmart and I don't support their business practices. I have entered one only once and that was under duress as we needed something for camping in an out of the way place and there was no alternative. I can afford to vote with my feet and believe in helping to create the type of world you want to live in. Especially if you have the funds to do so! I do shop at Costco and believe their priorities are closer to mine and they still offer cost savings.
GreenER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #60
Gone but not forgotten

In a changing world, keeping perspective is the best way of coping with change.

As we look around our own little circle of awareness, it's hard to project where we might be a few years from now. Here's a great overview of the retailing world. What companies are growing, or declining, and lest we become too enamored of the US being the center of the universe... a comparison to the rest of the worlds' retail industry.
https://nrf.com/news/top-100-retailers

Going down the charts should evidence the direction of business overall, and produce a clear image of what we can expect in the future... how we shop, where we shop and which businesses will provide the right mix of quality and value.
Most busineses that were on the cutting edge 10 or 20 years ago, have become top heavy in size, management and concentration on the bottom line, without seeing the direction towards efficiency. Making major moves in big box operations is extremely costly. The economies of scale are under the microscope today, as flexibility is the new key to growth and profitability.

In the food business, if it were a publicly owned company, my money would be on Aldi. Smart people who are doing things right, and light years ahead of any other company.

Self checkouts are only a small part of the change. Aside the online businesses, watch for smaller stores, tighter inventories, and possibly a return of the "Service Merchandise" model that some of you may remember.

Prognostication - courtesy an old retail guy.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote