Join Early Retirement Today

Frazzled checkers at Wal Mart
Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Frazzled checkers at Wal Mart

I rarely shop there , but the bigger stores are 24 hr locally. 2 items 5-$6 each , checker puts both in the bag , only rung up the $5 food item (the other was spray paint) . Total way too low ??

I insisted on paying or leave the item.

( turns out , the register " kicked the paint off , requires age verification, over 18" as she said) The checker, an older worker, was so frazzled, and looked like she was about to drop dead from overwork, she was just going to give it to me and not charge .

I wonder how much loss is due to low paid , overworked employees, rather than presumed shoplifting. WM makes plenty of money, so I guess this kind of loss is not even a speck of dust on the mountain. Unless a lot of " Dust" leaves the place free
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Walmart has a lot of self check registers in my area. Ive wondered how much theft there is in this area. There is one worker overseeing 8 self check registers. Someone with 20 items could easily ring up 12 and only "pretend" to ring up the other 8 and I doubt anyone would notice. Especially when you sometimes have to scan an item several times for it to register. Unless someone is specifically watching a person scan each item and verifying whether or not the register recognized every item, I bet someone could pay for half their items and never get caught. Even if someone notices, the customer just has to say "oh sorry, I scanned it. I didn't know it didn't register". Good luck prosecuting them.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Someone with 20 items could easily ring up 12 and only "pretend" to ring up the other 8 and I doubt anyone would notice
I don't know about Walmart, but at my local Kroger where I always use the self-checkout the machine will complain loudly and stop dead if it doesn't get the correct weight added to the bagging area after you scan an item. Takes an employee to cajole it into accepting the weight as is, and the employee always does a quick visual verification of items against the register screen.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Walmart has a lot of self check registers in my area. Ive wondered how much theft there is in this area. There is one worker overseeing 8 self check registers. Someone with 20 items could easily ring up 12 and only "pretend" to ring up the other 8 and I doubt anyone would notice. Especially when you sometimes have to scan an item several times for it to register. Unless someone is specifically watching a person scan each item and verifying whether or not the register recognized every item, I bet someone could pay for half their items and never get caught. Even if someone notices, the customer just has to say "oh sorry, I scanned it. I didn't know it didn't register". Good luck prosecuting them.
As long as the item not scanned is also not bagged at the bagging carousel , as it detects weight. Ya, the stuff can go out without paying. No " Greeters" at the local stores anymore checking receipts either.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

More worrisome than WalMart is the same thing at the local CVS pharmacy. Lots of turnover with the regular counter staff, pharmacists always hectically busy and they usually only last about a year. I check my prescriptions carefully.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You were never frazzled on the job? Unfortunately we all see frazzled people/workers everywhere from time to time. It's not about Wall Mart WalMart or "checkers." One data point...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I do not know if the local stores have it.... but I did see on some TV show where they have a camera pointed down to checkers that can alert someone if they fake scan an item...

It is looking at the movement of the checker... and if something is passed over the scanner but nothing is registered... it 'knows'... the show was showing that even the checkout people are in on some of the theft... IOW, if a friend or family member gets in line they cover the bar code and pass it over the scanner making it look like it was scanned...

I will admit that I have taken an item or two that have not scanned and the person is too busy talking to help me out... I will give them a shot to get it done, but do not plan on waiting for them to do their job since I am saving the store money by not paying a checker...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

They have plenty of camera power watching the self check area. I would not worry to much about it

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Also, even if the amount of shoplifting is increased due to the self check areas, and I don't think it's really that significant, it's far less than the cost of having employees. I have a couple of friends, big time union guys, who won't use the self check lanes because they want to make sure people are hired instead of being replaced by machines.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
They have plenty of camera power watching the self check area. I would not worry to much about it
Big box retailers have video surveillance all over the place, not just a point of sale , IMO for defending against questionable customer and employee "accidents" .

Just look up. Those little video half spheres are everywhere , in the store , that is . ( The NSA cameras follow me on the street and are invisible ).

I just kind of expect the world's largest retailer to have better control of the front end of the store.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #11

A few months ago, I was at the checkout at a Walmart behind a young family with a baby (in its carrier) in the shopping cart. I noticed that there were about a half-dozen varied items of store merchandise tucked-in alongside the carrier (beneath a baby blanket that was hanging out of the carrier). These were not put on the belt to be scanned by the cashier.

Before the cashier began to ring up my items, I quickly mentioned these unchecked items to the cashier hoping that she might alert security or something. She merely said "Oh, someone near the door will probably catch them."

As I was only buying a couple of items, I was checked out in no time at all. I easily caught up with the family as they were in the parking lot, and I could see the merchandise was still tucked in alongside the baby carrier and obviously no one had stopped them.

It irked me, as ultimately, paying customers are the ones eventually charged higher prices to cover the costs of a store's "shrinkage".

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
A few months ago, I was at the checkout at a Walmart behind a young family with a baby (in its carrier) in the shopping cart. I noticed that there were about a half-dozen varied items of store merchandise tucked-in alongside the carrier (beneath a baby blanket that was hanging out of the carrier). These were not put on the belt to be scanned by the cashier.

Before the cashier began to ring up my items, I quickly mentioned these unchecked items to the cashier hoping that she might alert security or something. She merely said "Oh, someone near the door will probably catch them."

As I was only buying a couple of items, I was checked out in no time at all. I easily caught up with the family as they were in the parking lot, and I could see the merchandise was still tucked in alongside the baby carrier and obviously no one had stopped them.

It irked me, as ultimately, paying customers are the ones eventually charged higher prices to cover the costs of a store's "shrinkage".

omni
Heck, there are pics of people with a full shopping cart that has not even gone through a check out line walking out the front door... nobody seems to catch anything...

When I bring things in, I make sure that the greeter puts whatever sticky thing they need to show which direction I am bring the item...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Saturday morning I went to Walmart and got the dirtest look at the cash register. The lady in front of me had a giant bag of dog food under her cart. I asked her if her dog gets excited when he sees the bag? She turned around and lasered me. Now I realize she was planning on not paying for it and just rolling it out the door. She was pulling away when I was going out and gave me another dirty look. Of course, I waved and smiled.
ERTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I confess that I avoid Walmarts. If I need to go to one for something in particular, I'll try go to a new one that is not located in a busy shopping area.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I have a couple of friends, big time union guys, who won't use the self check lanes because they want to make sure people are hired instead of being replaced by machines.
I've never been in a union at all, but I also don't use the self check for this very reason.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

When I go to the grocery store, I usually bring in a cart from the parking lot--a loose one if I see it, from someone unloading one if I can save them a trip to the cart corral, or from the cart rack itself if nothing else. Saves the store money and it's no trouble for me.
I guess maybe there are other people bringing two or three extra carts out with them to make sure a lot of cart fetchers get hired. Oh, well.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've never been in a union at all, but I also don't use the self check for this very reason.
Same here.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
And we should attack them infernal steam engines with pitchforks - they'll put a whole lot of people out of work!

And this modern agriculture stuff, what's wrong with a mule and plowing a few acres a day? Used to be ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricu...tes#Employment

Quote:
In 1870, 70-80 percent of the US population was employed in agriculture.[15] As of 2008, less than 2 percent of the population is directly employed in agriculture.
but we don't have 70% unemployment.

And this crazy internet thing - we should be forced to hitch up the team, go to the library, and look it up in a ten year old book. Keep the librarians and bookbinders employed!

What's the old story about the economist who observed workers on a major project in China with shovels, and he asked why they didn't bring in bulldozers to get the job done faster - he was told "this is to create jobs". The economist responded, "Why don't you give them spoons instead of shovels?".

I think removing humans from repetitive, mindless tasks that can be done better, faster, and more accurately by machine is a good thing. I prefer just about any on-line shopping, banking, etc to having to deal with a person, who just is a middleman to doing what I know I want to do anyway. Let me push the button, I already know which button to push! I can't really understand thinking the world would be better with more clerks.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTX View Post
Saturday morning I went to Walmart and got the dirtest look at the cash register. The lady in front of me had a giant bag of dog food under her cart. I asked her if her dog gets excited when he sees the bag? She turned around and lasered me. Now I realize she was planning on not paying for it and just rolling it out the door. She was pulling away when I was going out and gave me another dirty look. Of course, I waved and smiled.
Our new Krogers grocery store has a camera at the bottom of the aisle between check out aisles just for this purpose.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm a die-hard self-checker-outer, even at Walmart.