Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Waiting with bated breath for what happened at the 5 pm edt deadline....
+1

-gauss

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to hold off on watching MNF until I hear the outcome!

Old 10-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Very likely they may counter your offer with a meet me in the middle $ wise or something along those lines versus outright rejection.
It seems like they didn't want to move. They "countered" for full asking price and a very long time until closing. My buyer's agent suggested that we purchase another home. So much for our "#1" choice.

Second offer goes to our #2 choice. Another 24 hours of torture.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #64

Price, Terms, unwillingness to walk away..

Pick 2.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It seems that you everything well in hand. Carry on! Do not let others' opinions affect you!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
How about a yurt, or a tree-house? You forgot to mention those "unique" ideas
Bucky Balls might help!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

all normal feelings and reactions... buying, selling, and moving is stressful and nothing goes to plan, but in the end it all seems to work out.. keep your eye on the prize...what you are doing is a good thing and repeat as often as needed! I've been a corporate vagabond... owned 5 homes, lived in 7 apartments, 6 states and in Switzerland... my next move is the FIRE move in 18 months.. so I will crank up the band and do it again!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I generally try to say "interesting idea, but no thanks - next suggestion please" but for some reason some folks seem so emotionally invested in other people renting before they buy that they cannot move past a polite demurral (like the one above).
Case in point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Carry on! Do not let others' opinions affect you!
Like I said ... despite so many other aspects to discuss some people simply cannot handle not having their opinion on that one matter kowtowed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisno1 View Post
all normal feelings and reactions... buying, selling, and moving is stressful and nothing goes to plan, but in the end it all seems to work out.. keep your eye on the prize...what you are doing is a good thing and repeat as often as needed! I've been a corporate vagabond... owned 5 homes, lived in 7 apartments, 6 states and in Switzerland... my next move is the FIRE move in 18 months.. so I will crank up the band and do it again!
Good luck! Hopefully your goes smooth.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
It seems like they didn't want to move. They "countered" for full asking price and a very long time until closing. My buyer's agent suggested that we purchase another home. So much for our "#1" choice.

Second offer goes to our #2 choice. Another 24 hours of torture.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. Let's hope the offer on this second house has better results!

If it helps, I firmly believe that (for me) there is not just one perfect house but several houses, which, while different, are all perfect for me. Hopefully the same is true for you and your DW.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisno1 View Post
+1 Good Advice - This was given to me during my first and only real estate purchase.

We did a FSBO purchase so there were no agents involved to buffer the two personalities on each side of the transaction.

Fortunately my coworker who lived in the neighborhood and turned me on to the house played the mediator role. Basically convinced me that in a year all I would care about is having the house and forget about the stress of the transaction (which I was almost ready to walk away from). My coworker has very good people skills.

-gauss
Old 10-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #71

Keep in mind...people want to sell 'their house' but you want to buy 'your home'. Big difference and if you can't deal psychologically with this, you'll lose lots of sleep.

Second...just because an agent says they are a 'exclusive buyers agent', all this really means is they are too lazy to take listings...That's all. Georgia does NOT have a fiduciary to buyers or sellers...this is very, very, very important to remember.

Last point...houses close pretty quick here (if the seller is willing). 30 days from accepted contact to closing isn't uncommon. Whereas in San Antonio Texas, you'd be lucky to close in less than 60 (unless paying cash).

Just a some stuff for you to chew on (from a Georgia boy who dabbles in real estate with his licensed broker wife).

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:25 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Georgia does NOT have a fiduciary to buyers or sellers...this is very, very, very important to remember.
Except if they explicitly promise it, as in this case.

We've been saying that we're somewhat indifferent between the top five (now three - I mean two) choices. Each of the places have some advantages over the others, and we switched the order we were going to make our bids several times because they were all so evenly matched. We'll be perfectly happy if we get either this one we're bidding on now or one other that we have waiting in the wings. Otherwise, I'm going to want to make another trip down to Georgia to find more options.

The place we have the bid in on now has large (for a condo), private backyard. That's more work on the one hand, but it's a backyard of our very own. My spouse would love to plant roses and gardenias, tomatoes and peppers, etc. - something for which there was not enough room in any of the other homes we considered. Also, this place is $25K less expensive, meaning we won't exhaust our excess reserves. It doesn't make it better than the first place, but as W2R said, "there is not just one perfect house but several houses". I also firmly believe that home is made not built, and each house just gives us different tools an opportunities to work with to make a home.

I would, however, like to avoid going to our sixth choice, because that is a big change. The top five were all similar layouts: Master bedroom on the ground floor, two levels, all done. There are another set of condos out here that are three levels and some even four levels, the developers obviously trying to maximize the number of salable units per acre. I really don't want to settle for "vertical living".
Old 10-21-2014, 04:29 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Ahh but vertical living is good exercise. You don't even need a gym if you got 4 floors just make sure your bathroom is the ground floor, and bedroom on the top. You'll get those 10,000 steps in a day.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:33 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Ahh but vertical living is good exercise. You don't even need a gym if you got 4 floors just make sure your bathroom is the ground floor, and bedroom on the top. You'll get those 10,000 steps in a day.
My spouse has one of those vertical living units as #6 on our list. It has two nice sized decks. One is enclosed and the other has a wraparound net curtain. Very nice. The floors are really quite nice and the kitchen is among the best we've seen. It is up on a hill so from the office window you can see for miles. It wouldn't suck to live there. (And that one has a pool.)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #75

Quote:
Except if they explicitly promise it, as in this case.
They can 'promise' anything they want but the law is "shall only be responsible for exercising reasonable care in the discharge of its specified duties".

And although I am NOT a lawyer, "reasonable" is about as gray as any word that's out there.

Don't get me wrong....there are some AWESOME agents out there...lots of them, but on the other hand, there are some AWFUL agents and in my experience I would say about 50% of the ones I have dealt with here in Georgia, they were complacent in being anywhere NEAR reasonable in exercising their duties. I would just tread very carefully in the thought that they are looking out for your best interest.

I do wish you luck though and I think the time to buy is fairly good...things have slowed down a bit, so last year's hard-core seller's market isn't as bullish which is good for buyers.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, that's ballsy. I don't think that's even legal anymore is it?

Why would it not be legal You are making an offer with a condition... they either accept it or not.... a lot of people make offers with conditions such as financing that are out of the sellers control...
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Why would it not be legal You are making an offer with a condition... they either accept it or not.... a lot of people make offers with conditions such as financing that are out of the sellers control...
Georgia makes it pretty easy to put multiple offers in...even without contingencies. You can stipulate that if an offer isn't accepted by a given day/time, then it's DOA. You can put some good pressure on sellers when you give them 12 hours to answer
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
If this seller is anything like me, I would reject the buyer coming back to me again after such a low ball initial offer. Probably means you are dealing with someone who will continue to be unreasonable and not worth the trouble.

This was back in 2008 when it was a buyers market... today I do not think they could make such a low ball offer like they did then...

They were not completely unreasonable since it was an all cash offer with closing ASAP....
Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #79

Quote:
They can 'promise' anything
Sorry for my imprecise comment... By "promise" I meant "contractually agreed to". Black and white.. "fiduciary".
Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Georgia makes it pretty easy to put multiple offers in...even without contingencies. You can stipulate that if an offer isn't accepted by a given day/time, then it's DOA. You can put some good pressure on sellers when you give them 12 hours to answer

Yea, but what would happen if you put in 3 offers with 12 hours time to answer and all agree within those 12 hours Sounds like you agreed to buy 3 houses... with the contingency being first one negates the other two you have only agreed to buy 1 house....