Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Georgia makes it pretty easy to put multiple offers in...even without contingencies. You can stipulate that if an offer isn't accepted by a given day/time, then it's DOA. You can put some good pressure on sellers when you give them 12 hours to answer
However I don't see any way to specify that an offer expires based on an event that the recipient doesn't have a means to know has occurred. I bet to make it legal the offerer must notify the offer recipients to withdraw offers at the time the event occurs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe I missed it but one thing I do when I am stuck waiting on things like this is to concentrate on what I can do now. You said you had a large quantity of junk to unload. Get started. Sort it out, donate, have a yard sale, throw stuff away. You know you are moving at some point--get the pictures off the walls and get all the knick knacks packed away and ready to go. You know what area you are moving to. Do you need to set up bank accounts? Do you need letters from your utility providers to avoid having to make a large deposit with the new utilities? Cell phone company have any issues in your new area? Are you likely to need painting/minor repairs before moving in? If yes, find recommendations for people to do those jobs.

Moving is always stressful. Take the time now to do what you can so it is less stressful later. It will also ease your mind to be moving forward in some small way.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
You said you had a large quantity of junk to unload. Get started. Sort it out, donate, have a yard sale, throw stuff away.
Sorted. Four huge piles of junk were trucked out this morning. (I watched it on my security cameras... gosh they were quick.) We have one big pile left set to head to the church fair in two weeks. We're basically down to what we're bringing with us.

Quote:
You know you are moving at some point--get the pictures off the walls and get all the knick knacks packed away and ready to go.
The house has to remain staged until the due diligence period is over.

Quote:
You know what area you are moving to. Do you need to set up bank accounts?
We use a national bank and I just confirmed the arrangements for both closings. We're all set.

Quote:
Do you need letters from your utility providers to avoid having to make a large deposit with the new utilities?
Yes, that's something we can start working on now.

Quote:
Cell phone company have any issues in your new area?
You can see the corporate HQ of our cellphone service provider from the backyard of #6 on our list. Connectivity was perfect at all the homes we viewed.

Quote:
Are you likely to need painting/minor repairs before moving in? If yes, find recommendations for people to do those jobs.
Our friends from church have already given us a few recommendations. However, as things are now, we'll move in as soon as the closing happens, so it'll be after we move in that we'll make those arrangements.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

BUU:

We did a similar move last November, although it was not as far, distance wise. A big issue to be aware of is changing addresses (of course, it's early in the process for you).

We were blindsided by the large number of addresses we had to change and how we missed a few. The Post Office is not that good at forwarding mail, as we found out when a credit card bill "got lost" in the mail. I think they only will forward up to 6 months now.

If you buy a lot of stuff online, all delivery and billing addresses will have to be changed.

I suggest you start to make a list of the people/organizations/etc you will need to notify once you have a new location. We didn't prepare for that and it was kind of a mess, especially when dealing with the Post Office reliability.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #85

We have all our bills delivered electronically now (and own our own domain so the email addresses won't change when we change ISPs). Thank goodness for that.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We have all our bills delivered electronically now (and own our own domain so the email addresses won't change when we change ISPs). Thank goodness for that.
Bills are easy. It's the addresses for subscriptions, insurance policies, web sites where you have delivery and billing info in, clubs, friends, family, business contacts, etc that kept popping up.

Just trying to help here, but if you have it all under control, no problem.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However I don't see any way to specify that an offer expires based on an event that the recipient doesn't have a means to know has occurred. I bet to make it legal the offerer must notify the offer recipients to withdraw offers at the time the event occurs.
I think it could be done by just indicating that the offer will automatically expire if one of the other offers is accepted and the buyer will notify the seller with all deliberate speed if one other their other offers is accepted. I concede it is a bit tricky, but I think it is possible.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So do I. I also had mail forwarded for 12 months. But there were still slip ups. Like the property taxes on a rental property whose mortgage I paid off: they were sent to my old address three years after the move, because apparently it was my responsibility to inform the municipality of my change of address despite the fact that my mortgage payment included an escrow account for taxes. I had assumed the change of title would be sufficient.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #89

Quote:
Do you need letters from your utility providers to avoid having to make a large deposit with the new utilities?
I live two towns over (Johns Creek, GA) and I never even heard about this making any difference - utilities here just check your credit score, only friends with not so good credit needed any deposits.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is crazy easy to get out of offers as a buyer, truly worse case is you lose your earnst money. I made probably 40 offers to get the 4 properties I bought in Vegas, and I bet arebelspy has made 100+. Generally 5 or 6 at time. In your situation it is foolish to do this in a serial process put in lowball offers at every place you guys can live with and see what happens. Most of time the seller will counter which gives you time to respond. It is very unlikely that you'll get more than two acceptances if your initial offer is low enough.

The home inspection process gives you hundreds of opportunities to make unreasonable demands that seller will refuse and you can cancel the offer. Essentially you go through the home inspector report with a fine tooth comb and demand they fix everything, send out structural engineers, produce permits etc.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #91

According to my buyer's agent, the deal is done! Whew! All these millions of things that have to be done now, from the changes of address, to shipping one of the cars down, coordinating movers, lawyers, inspectors (not necessarily in that order), etc. - all is a walk in the park compared to the last two days.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! I suggest you and DW have a little celebration this evening before you get too caught up in the next steps. It must be a weight off your mind to know where you are going to live.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I live two towns over (Johns Creek, GA) and I never even heard about this making any difference - utilities here just check your credit score, only friends with not so good credit needed any deposits.
I think it is done with gas and water companies here. They want to know you didn't bail on your last bill before you moved. Not all companies will waive the deposit nor will all companies issue letters. It is something we learned to suggest to our renters who are usually cash strapped with deposits and moving expenses all hitting at the same time. Having to do a utility deposit is often a hardship on top of all the other expenses.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #94
Administrator

Quote:
According to my buyer's agent, the deal is done! Whew! All these millions of things that have to be done now, from the changes of address, to shipping one of the cars down, coordinating movers, lawyers, inspectors (not necessarily in that order), etc. - all is a walk in the park compared to the last two days.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you. What a relief this must be. I am assuming that closing will be at a convenient date for you, too, so that you don't have to rent. That's great since that was your objective.

You're right - - the rest will be a walk in the park although busy. Someone told me once that there is no such thing as a smooth closing. So, there might be a few smaller bumps in your road, but you will get past them. You, family, and kitties are on your way south. That's wonderful. Soon you can wave goodbye to MA and wave hello to GA.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #95

Quote:
I think it is done with gas and water companies here. They want to know you didn't bail on your last bill before you moved.
I'm not sure how that could work, considering we need to make arrangements to turn on the gas and water in our new home long before the utilities that serve our old home get a final bill to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you. What a relief this must be. I am assuming that closing will be at a convenient date for you, too, so that you don't have to rent. That's great since that was your objective.
Thanks! The extent to which the second offer and response was cordial and collaborative made the experience of first offer look genuinely abnormal.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #96

Whew! What a change from your original post a few days ago. I thought you were about to burst a blood vessel. Glad that things are working the way you wanted them to.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #97

Like I said, "Please pardon cathartic venting."
Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #98

Congratulations bUU. Sending you easy-moving vibes!

Lots of best wishes through the move, your husband's transition to his new work location, and your transition to telecommuting. And stress free kitty transition wishes, also!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Congratulations bUU. Sending you easy-moving vibes!

Lots of best wishes through the move, your husband's transition to his new work location, and your transition to telecommuting. And stress free kitty transition wishes, also!
+1 !!!

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote