Freaking Out - Please Pardon Cathartic Venting

Wow, that's ballsy. I don't think that's even legal anymore is it?

Why would it not be legal:confused: You are making an offer with a condition... they either accept it or not.... a lot of people make offers with conditions such as financing that are out of the sellers control...

Why would it not be legal:confused: You are making an offer with a condition... they either accept it or not.... a lot of people make offers with conditions such as financing that are out of the sellers control...

Georgia makes it pretty easy to put multiple offers in...even without contingencies. You can stipulate that if an offer isn't accepted by a given day/time, then it's DOA. You can put some good pressure on sellers when you give them 12 hours to answer :D

If this seller is anything like me, I would reject the buyer coming back to me again after such a low ball initial offer. Probably means you are dealing with someone who will continue to be unreasonable and not worth the trouble.

This was back in 2008 when it was a buyers market... today I do not think they could make such a low ball offer like they did then...

They were not completely unreasonable since it was an all cash offer with closing ASAP....

Georgia makes it pretty easy to put multiple offers in...even without contingencies. You can stipulate that if an offer isn't accepted by a given day/time, then it's DOA. You can put some good pressure on sellers when you give them 12 hours to answer :D

Yea, but what would happen if you put in 3 offers with 12 hours time to answer and all agree within those 12 hours:confused: Sounds like you agreed to buy 3 houses... with the contingency being first one negates the other two you have only agreed to buy 1 house....

However I don't see any way to specify that an offer expires based on an event that the recipient doesn't have a means to know has occurred. I bet to make it legal the offerer must notify the offer recipients to withdraw offers at the time the event occurs.

Maybe I missed it but one thing I do when I am stuck waiting on things like this is to concentrate on what I can do now. You said you had a large quantity of junk to unload. Get started. Sort it out, donate, have a yard sale, throw stuff away. You know you are moving at some point--get the pictures off the walls and get all the knick knacks packed away and ready to go. You know what area you are moving to. Do you need to set up bank accounts? Do you need letters from your utility providers to avoid having to make a large deposit with the new utilities? Cell phone company have any issues in your new area? Are you likely to need painting/minor repairs before moving in? If yes, find recommendations for people to do those jobs.

Moving is always stressful. Take the time now to do what you can so it is less stressful later. It will also ease your mind to be moving forward in some small way.

You said you had a large quantity of junk to unload. Get started. Sort it out, donate, have a yard sale, throw stuff away.
Sorted. Four huge piles of junk were trucked out this morning. (I watched it on my security cameras... gosh they were quick.) We have one big pile left set to head to the church fair in two weeks. We're basically down to what we're bringing with us.

You know you are moving at some point--get the pictures off the walls and get all the knick knacks packed away and ready to go.
The house has to remain staged until the due diligence period is over.

You know what area you are moving to. Do you need to set up bank accounts?
We use a national bank and I just confirmed the arrangements for both closings. We're all set.

Do you need letters from your utility providers to avoid having to make a large deposit with the new utilities?
Yes, that's something we can start working on now.

Cell phone company have any issues in your new area?
You can see the corporate HQ of our cellphone service provider from the backyard of #6 on our list. Connectivity was perfect at all the homes we viewed.

Are you likely to need painting/minor repairs before moving in? If yes, find recommendations for people to do those jobs.
Our friends from church have already given us a few recommendations. However, as things are now, we'll move in as soon as the closing happens, so it'll be after we move in that we'll make those arrangements.

Thanks!

BUU:

We did a similar move last November, although it was not as far, distance wise. A big issue to be aware of is changing addresses (of course, it's early in the process for you).

We were blindsided by the large number of addresses we had to change and how we missed a few. The Post Office is not that good at forwarding mail, as we found out when a credit card bill "got lost" in the mail. I think they only will forward up to 6 months now.

If you buy a lot of stuff online, all delivery and billing addresses will have to be changed.

I suggest you start to make a list of the people/organizations/etc you will need to notify once you have a new location. We didn't prepare for that and it was kind of a mess, especially when dealing with the Post Office reliability.

Good luck!;)

We have all our bills delivered electronically now (and own our own domain so the email addresses won't change when we change ISPs). Thank goodness for that.

We have all our bills delivered electronically now (and own our own domain so the email addresses won't change when we change ISPs). Thank goodness for that.

Bills are easy. It's the addresses for subscriptions, insurance policies, web sites where you have delivery and billing info in, clubs, friends, family, business contacts, etc that kept popping up.

Just trying to help here, but if you have it all under control, no problem.

However I don't see any way to specify that an offer expires based on an event that the recipient doesn't have a means to know has occurred. I bet to make it legal the offerer must notify the offer recipients to withdraw offers at the time the event occurs.

I think it could be done by just indicating that the offer will automatically expire if one of the other offers is accepted and the buyer will notify the seller with all deliberate speed if one other their other offers is accepted. I concede it is a bit tricky, but I think it is possible.

So do I. I also had mail forwarded for 12 months. But there were still slip ups. Like the property taxes on a rental property whose mortgage I paid off: they were sent to my old address three years after the move, because apparently it was my responsibility to inform the municipality of my change of address despite the fact that my mortgage payment included an escrow account for taxes. I had assumed the change of title would be sufficient. :facepalm:

Do you need letters from your utility providers to avoid having to make a large deposit with the new utilities?
I live two towns over (Johns Creek, GA) and I never even heard about this making any difference - utilities here just check your credit score, only friends with not so good credit needed any deposits.

It is crazy easy to get out of offers as a buyer, truly worse case is you lose your earnst money. I made probably 40 offers to get the 4 properties I bought in Vegas, and I bet arebelspy has made 100+. Generally 5 or 6 at time. In your situation it is foolish to do this in a serial process put in lowball offers at every place you guys can live with and see what happens. Most of time the seller will counter which gives you time to respond. It is very unlikely that you'll get more than two acceptances if your initial offer is low enough.

The home inspection process gives you hundreds of opportunities to make unreasonable demands that seller will refuse and you can cancel the offer. Essentially you go through the home inspector report with a fine tooth comb and demand they fix everything, send out structural engineers, produce permits etc.

According to my buyer's agent, the deal is done! Whew! All these millions of things that have to be done now, from the changes of address, to shipping one of the cars down, coordinating movers, lawyers, inspectors (not necessarily in that order), etc. - all is a walk in the park compared to the last two days.

Congratulations! I suggest you and DW have a little celebration this evening before you get too caught up in the next steps. It must be a weight off your mind to know where you are going to live.

I live two towns over (Johns Creek, GA) and I never even heard about this making any difference - utilities here just check your credit score, only friends with not so good credit needed any deposits.

I think it is done with gas and water companies here. They want to know you didn't bail on your last bill before you moved. Not all companies will waive the deposit nor will all companies issue letters. It is something we learned to suggest to our renters who are usually cash strapped with deposits and moving expenses all hitting at the same time. Having to do a utility deposit is often a hardship on top of all the other expenses.

According to my buyer's agent, the deal is done! Whew! All these millions of things that have to be done now, from the changes of address, to shipping one of the cars down, coordinating movers, lawyers, inspectors (not necessarily in that order), etc. - all is a walk in the park compared to the last two days.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :dance: :clap: I am so happy for you. What a relief this must be. I am assuming that closing will be at a convenient date for you, too, so that you don't have to rent. That's great since that was your objective. :D

You're right - - the rest will be a walk in the park although busy. Someone told me once that there is no such thing as a smooth closing. So, there might be a few smaller bumps in your road, but you will get past them. You, family, and kitties are on your way south. That's wonderful. Soon you can wave goodbye to MA and wave hello to GA. :greetings10:

I think it is done with gas and water companies here. They want to know you didn't bail on your last bill before you moved.
I'm not sure how that could work, considering we need to make arrangements to turn on the gas and water in our new home long before the utilities that serve our old home get a final bill to us.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :dance: :clap: I am so happy for you. What a relief this must be. I am assuming that closing will be at a convenient date for you, too, so that you don't have to rent. That's great since that was your objective. :D
Thanks! The extent to which the second offer and response was cordial and collaborative made the experience of first offer look genuinely abnormal.

Last edited:
Whew! What a change from your original post a few days ago. I thought you were about to burst a blood vessel. Glad that things are working the way you wanted them to.

Like I said, "Please pardon cathartic venting." :)

Congratulations bUU. Sending you easy-moving vibes!

Lots of best wishes through the move, your husband's transition to his new work location, and your transition to telecommuting. And stress free kitty transition wishes, also!

Congratulations bUU. Sending you easy-moving vibes!

Lots of best wishes through the move, your husband's transition to his new work location, and your transition to telecommuting. And stress free kitty transition wishes, also!

+1 !!!

Back
Top Bottom