Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #21
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We've done it, but the rubber chicken wasn't worth the onerous sales pitch. We don't bother anymore, we're not that hungry!
Walt was speaking of annuity pitches at free luncheons, but I feel the same way about free samples in supermarkets. I just want to finish shopping quickly and get out of there. It's not worth having to stick around to eat them and hear about them, plus usually the free samples are calories that I don't need.

And then often the free samples at supermarkets here are samples of alcoholic beverages (amazingly enough), and I don't drink so don't want them.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
What? You don't take an opener, pop a cap to sample, and put the empty back in it's sleeve for recycling?
Not that I know of. I'm usually sober when I do my shopping.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We usually shop at BJs hours before the samples come out. When the samples are out, I sometimes will try something, but am not too fond of "manufactured" food heated in the microwave. It always tastes kind of fake-y to me; maybe it's the preservatives.

Now, I will listen to an annuity pitch if it is at a fancy restaurant (as a few of them have been). I have even learned a few things from those talks. Cannot resist asking questions about fees, etc. that they were probably hoping nobody would ask

I actively resent skimpy, stingy samples that are so tiny, you can hardly tell what they taste like. I consider that cheating. Don't brag about your free samples if you aren't gonna deliver the goods! Goes for lots of things in life

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
Our local supermarket Publix spotlights a different recipe every week . They have cooking demonstrations of the recipe and give samples . It's usually a small amount but it let's me gauge if I want to try the recipe .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...
Well it sounds like the consensus is that spending money on a Costco membership is a better deal than annuities or time share pitches.

Now this next suggestion requires me to dress up more than I'm I'd like but it does include free booze, along with some other uh benefits.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
At the "downtown produce" store they always have a keg of beer on tap and limit 2 free beers while you are shopping (8 oz size approx). They also frequently have free wine tasting especially around holidays. Normally they will have over 40 wine varieties and usually have free snacks out as well. Sometimes they do charge 5 bucks for the wine tasting but you get to keep your glass.

"The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote