Join Early Retirement Today

Free PDF of The 4-Hour Workweek
Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Free PDF of The 4-Hour Workweek

In case you haven't heard of it, The 4-Hour Workweek is the Bible of the "lifestyle design" crowd. I haven't read it but plan to, since the price of this PDF is right.

Here's how to get it. I was able to download the free copy easily. You have to give your first and last name and an email address.

Free PDF of The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss My Money Blog

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Onward. Kindle has the updated version for 9.02 with over 1,000 customer reviews averaging 5 stars. The old version has 4 stars at $9.99.

I'm inspired to open my big laptop to get this and take a look at Gumby's video.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, it's a fast easy download. It and his "Slow-Carb Cookbook" are now in my preview section. Does anyone know a way to send it to iBooks app for iPod (from MacBookPro)?

Nevermind, they sent an email for downloading which I opened in iPod; it allowed it open in iBooks, voila, there it is. Now to figure out how to send itunes liner notes to iBooks.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #4

got it. thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #5

Got both books. Thanks for posting the links. This book is on my ER reading list. If nothing else, I expect to get a bit of inspiration from the books.

BTW, experiencing another ER experiment as I type this from next to the pool in Cabarete. Supermarket trip for enough food that will cover two people for 5 days cost $40. It's not dirt cheap compared to SE Asia. A large pollo nacho, a conch fritter, and two beers in a restaurant right on the beach cost $36 including tips. There are very, very few cheap eats that serve rice, beans, and eggs for $2.50 inside Cabarete, but in other towns, those can be found easily. I have had breakfast that include a plate of cold cuts, cheese, two fresh bread with butter and fruit spread, coffee, and a juice for $7. That meal alone was enough for breakfast and lunch. Dinner I spent $2.50 on rice, beans, eggs, and some grilled whole chicken from the previous night.

A friend of mine will give me a quick tour of some rental properties after the Christmas craziness for the both of us, but the least I got quoted was $500/month for a western style 1 BR apartment in a compound with a pool and a large generator for the compound. The place is located about a mile from the coast in a gated community. That was the first quote. I am not certain if the rental agent expected me to bargain.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

Time required to read "the 4 hour work week": 5 hours.

Ironic.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Time required to read "the 4 hour work week": 5 hours.

Ironic.
I don't see the irony. What's so ironic about it? It's ironic only if you classify this particular reading as work. Even then the irony is only 1 hour of the total.

I am on page 73 of the book, so far most of what the author says makes great sense. I have to remind myself that the insights came from a guy in his late 20s, not someone in his late 30s or 40s. Just to have this much to say about life, work, and goals and being able to formulate his thoughts into lucid and compelling reading is very impressive to me. Back in my late 20s, I was surfing bicycling sites and talking about hydration needs and how pee while coasting.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Wow, it's a fast easy download. It and his "Slow-Carb Cookbook" are now in my preview section. Does anyone know a way to send it to iBooks app for iPod (from MacBookPro)?

Nevermind, they sent an email for downloading which I opened in iPod; it allowed it open in iBooks, voila, there it is. Now to figure out how to send itunes liner notes to iBooks.
Those who downloaded on their Mac just have to drag and drop to the books to the iTunes book section before syncing. I now have something to read when the girl takes over my laptop.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buns,

Before you make a down payment, check out the hurricanes.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I am reading 4HWW right now, very interesting so far. I checked it from my local library.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Buns,

Before you make a down payment, check out the hurricanes.
I ain't buying crap, ever. Rent, rent, and rent. There are a ton of quality houses and condos within walking distance of my hotel for rent. I thought I needed a friend's car to see a ton of examples, but I saw enough just on my jog yesterday.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #12

The author references a number of web sites that I use and quite a number that I have never heard of, but here are two that are particularly offbeat and interesting: I-resign.com - Take a holiday instead of quitting your job and Gridskipper : Maps and News for Urban Travelers are two that stood out for hilarious reads.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Another take on Mr. Ferris:

Tim Ferriss diet

Quote:
He just came out with a new book. It’s just as slimy as the first book. The reason is that Tim has no soul. He thinks life is a game, and he is going to be the winner every time, and we want to know how to do it.

The problem is that Tim makes the rules. He’s like a four-year-old playing Candyland and making sure that he gets the Gingerbread man, and the candy cane, and the sort-of-melty ice cream at the end.

So for the Four-Hour-Work-Week the rule is that it’s only work if you hate what you’re doing. So Tim only does stuff he hates four hours a week. He can do this because he has no relationships, so he doesn’t have to accommodate anyone else in his life. It’s amazing, actually, that he even has to “work” for four hours given that he runs his life like a four-year-old.

Now, with the diet book, Tim tells us how we can take out all the emotional and mental health benefits of fitness and understanding your own body. But look. I have a better plan. You can get plastic surgery, and you can take Creatine, and you can use diuretics, and you will get the physical fitness results Tim promises in LESS than four hours a week. I should write a book.
PS: The comments to the Article are, also, an interesting read.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Another take on Mr. Ferris:

PS: The comments to the Article are, also, an interesting read.
Thanks, Ron. Penelope Trunk's response to Sfef is classic.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #15

"Product not available anymore"

Bummer.

Free to canoe