Free, portable, recipe software?

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I did a quick search on the site and didn't come up with anything promising, although I may have just missed it...

I have a number of recipes that I printed out in the late 80s on a dot-matrix printer (!) from an IBM PC into which I had typed them. I still use the paper recipes (computer is long gone), but it would be kind to describe them as "dog-eared" after all that time in the kitchen.

So it seems a good time to re-enter the recipes on my current computer. Before I start typing away, I am wondering if anyone knows of good, reliable free/open source software for recipes and am especially interested in any that use a portable data format (XML preferred). Any ideas/experiences?

My mom was old school - index cards in a card file.
I inherited those card files when she died.

For new recipes my source of recipes is often the intertubes... so I save it as an "offline" page. I have an android tablet that has quite a few flour smudges on it from using it for my pie crust recipe or the chocolate ganache recipe.

Maybe not what you were looking for, but I use Evernote. Its great for keeping recipes (or any information). I start a notebook for recipes, start a new note for each recipe and use tags (e.g. side dish, crockpot, etc). This works real well for me. The recipes are then available on any mobile device that has the Evernote App installed.

I use Evernote too. You can either scan the paper recipe or enter the recipe manually. Once in the database it will become searchable. You will also be able to access your recipes from a multitude of platforms. And it's free!

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Never heard of Evernote before, but it looks promising. A quick search turned up that its format is "ENML", which is based on XHTML/XML. That should be "portable enough" in case the software goes away. And it's certainly easy enough to take it for a test drive with a small sample :)

Back
Top Bottom