Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Freecycle questions
Old 02-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I have also noticed that since eBay all the great deals in antique shops have mostly disappeared.
Martha - I think you are right. I collected a bunch of depression glass 20+ years ago. I thought maybe I'd get rid of it on eBay, but it's going really cheap these days. I read an article that said the price has dropped drastically, because eBay connects the buyers with the sellers very efficiently, where you had to scour antique stores & flea markets in the past.

CJ

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my community we have a "freecycle" by the trash center. Leave it out for whomever wants it. If it doesn't get picked up in a day or two it goes into the trash or the owner takes it back. I picked up a lovely ivy topiary once. And just yesterday gave away "Fred" my ugly overgrown house plant.

I have sucessfully used the Yahoo freecycle to give away half used cans of paint.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I gave a few things away on Freecycle but the response was overwhelming and I had a couple of no-shows. After that I posted give aways on Craig's list and had a pretty good response. These tend to be attractive items (like a Nordic Trak). The old clothes, etc I just take to Goodwill. I am thinking of excessing a couple of old windsurfers - that is a bit of a pickup hassle.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #24

This won't help the OP any, but I have occasionally stated in my "free stuff" ad that "it's sitting by my mailbox in front of my house - first come first served. Will remove post when item is gone". Saves me any further administrative duties besides deleting my post after the item is gone. It helps if you are near the city center I suppose. Give it an hour tops and it's gone.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I thought about doing that, but I heard some stories of whole armadas of people descending on your neighborhood and duking it out over the stuff, grabbing it out of each others pickup beds, etc.

The greatest Freecycle-type event used to happen when I lived in Santa Clara in the south bay. They had a thing once a year where you could put anything, and I do mean anything...loads of dirt and bricks, old furniture, a junk car...whatever...out in the street in front of your house on a particular week of the year, and the city came by with dump trucks and other heavy equipment and scooped it all up to take to the dump.

Kept peoples yards clean and was a pretty nice service for the people living there.

However, almost every house would have a huge heap of stuff out front every year, and people would roam the streets in pickup trucks with 2-3 guys in them, periodically jumping out and grabbing stuff.

I imagine most of that stuff ended up out in front of their house the following year.

One guy was moving during that week, took a couple of dressers out to the driveway while his brother was shuttling a load to the new house in the moving van. Went back in the house and came back out 5 minutes later, his dressers were gone.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, Leno has a similar story. He saw a used refrigerator on the curb awaiting pickup, and he knew that it was dangerous to have one around with a working door, since kids sometimes pla in them and get stuck. So he bends the door back so that it breaks, and won't close.

Later, he finds a woman there crying because someone had vandalized the fridge that had just been delivered. He didn't fess up (this was before he was rich).

---------------

A few weird people have picked up the things I've freecycled, but it's mostly super-nice granola types.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #27

Another thing I have done is, on a busy street near me, I place things I want to get rid of like file cabinets and a BBQ with a "free" sign on them. Works every time.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
On Monday I got a cord of prime cedar firewood through freecycle,
Don't forget to clean your chimney often when burning those oily woods.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
A few weird people have picked up the things I've freecycled, but it's mostly super-nice granola types.
You should give it a whirl in the Marysville/Yuba City area...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote