Friday Puzzler

wabmester

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We've all read that if you let your mind get lazy, you'll end up with Alzheimer's, right?   When I first retired, I started doing crosswords, but I've slacked off.   So, I just ordered Will Shortz' The Puzzlemaster Presents.   Buy it -- you'll like it.

Here's a sample.

Body Language

Each answer in this puzzle is a word that sounds like a letter of the alphabet plus the name of part of the body.   What are the words?

Ex: Spirit in a bottle = genie (G+knee)

1) President's "no"
2) Chicago Airport
3) Kind of coffee that won't keep you awake
4) Some skid row drunks
5) What a pizza place can usually do on request
6) Designer Cassini
7) 1960's-style college protest, as one that a professor might lead (hyph.)
8 ) Card game played with a 48-card deck
9) Make sticky and messy
10) Kind of tax, as on liquor or tobacco (note: the name of the body part in this one is plural.)

Rating: Good=5, Excellent=7, Ace=9

I'll post the answers next week.

wabmester said:
We've all read that if you let your mind get lazy, you'll end up with Alzheimer's, right?   When I first retired, I started doing crosswords, but I've slacked off.   So, I just ordered Will Shortz' The Puzzlemaster Presents.   Buy it -- you'll like it.

Here's a sample.

Body Language

Each answer in this puzzle is a word that sounds like a letter of the alphabet plus the name of part of the
body.   What are the words?

Ex: Spirit in a bottle = genie (G+knee)

1) President's "no"
vtoe
2) Chicago Airport
ohair
3) Kind of coffee that won't keep you awake
dcalf
4) Some skid row drunks
y nose
5) What a pizza place can usually do on request
d liver
6) Designer Cassini
Oleg
7) 1960's-style college protest, as one that a professor might lead (hyph.)
?
8 ) Card game played with a 48-card deck
Heart s
9) Make sticky and messy
10) Kind of tax, as on liquor or tobacco (note: the name of the body part in this one is plural.)
x eyes

I'll be back if I can figure out the other 2.

H

Very good. The Wizard of Ha's originally scored 6/10. Corrected one mistake to make it 7/10. bpp fixed the final mistake and got one missing answer, bringing it to 9/10. (I got 8/10 myself.)

Everybody seems to get stuck on (9), so here's a clue: think of something you chew.

I tried hard to get that one, but rejected "begum" because one has gums and not a gum, and "begum" isn't in the dictionary, except as "a Muslim woman of high rank."

TromboneAl said:
I tried hard to get that one, but rejected "begum" because one has gums and not a gum, and "begum" isn't in the dictionary, except as "a Muslim woman of high rank."

I came to the same conclusion as you, Al. Wab, can you site a source for the definition of "begum" being other than "a Muslim woman of high rank"?

Hey, I didn't design the puzzle. I'm just an innocent copyright violator. :) Puzzles are much more challenging if the answers are wrong, don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom