Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree that you should tell them why what they were doing is wrong. but if it turns out the dog is left chained while they are at work every day you will be faced with a tough situation.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

We stopped 'dog sitting' for neighbors and friends years ago. We are happy to help out these people, but dogs are just too much. Most of the dogs get antsy when left alone for most of the day, compounding the situation.

One too many times, while those people are off on a beach somewhere, and we decide to 'stay-cation', DW ends up cleaning up a 'mess' the dog made, or the dog runs off and we end up looking for it in the middle of the night. Just because we didn't go to a beach doesn't mean we don't want to relax at home on our time off. Playing maid and dog sitter is no fun, and it is a big responsibility. Ties you up early morning and late night. No more.

So after that, if they didn't get the hint from the stories about the clean up and the middle of the night searches, we gently said, 'Oh, sorry, but we were thinking we might get away for a quick overnight trip or something that week, so we really couldn't commit to watching your dogs'. The requests ended after that.

We watch cats, birds, caged or tanked things, and water flowers for people. Those are pretty much once a day, anytime during the day things. No problem. But no more dogs. We don't have dogs for those very reasons, they need to make arrangements with a professional service.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I've printed out these for when they pick him up:

California Dog Tethering Law | eHow.com

The Facts About Chaining and Tethering : The Humane Society of the United States

Teaching Your Dog to Walk on a Loose Leash
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it looks to me like he'd love to be adopted by you and Lena.
Right. We'd enjoy it, but for me, there are too many disadvantages.

He slept in our bedroom last night. There was a lot of snoring, bad smells, and farting. And then we let the dog in!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Good for you in trying to educate them. Hopefully, they will learn and change how they care for their dog. He looks to be in good condition otherwise so hopefully this is just a case of ignorance on this one issue. BTW, here's the ASCPA's stance on tethering dogs:

ASPCA | Tethering
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the educational efforts--sometimes people just don't know better.
We had a sad story when some neighbors, who purported to love their animals very much, had a dog die a gruesome death from just this practice.

The dog was notorious for getting out of their fence, so they made an overhead cable run for the dog, attached to the dog's collar. Only problem was, they didn't use a swivel clip and the dog twisted up on the line, shortening it as she went, until she suffocated. Horrible, horrible, horrible. We cut the dog down. <shudder>

That dog died for want of a $2 swivel clip. I'm glad you saved this sweetheart and perhaps you can tell them our story. I hope that those folks we knew back then continue to be haunted by that dog's agonizing end.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

He slept in our bedroom last night. There was a lot of snoring, bad smells, and farting. And then we let the dog in!
I was about to say.... my dog doesn't smell bad or let out bad odors and he sleeps with me. Occasionaly he leaves the room though.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

You are a hoot big Al
Maybe your not as good a trainer as you thought
If this is an outside dog you may need to spend some quality time with indoor manors training.
Taking a bath now and then might be on the list too
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Taking a bath now and then might be on the list too
Yeah, I'm sure Lena would appreciate it if you'd see fit to clean yourself up occasionally.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You guys had some great posts there! Lots of laughs. Too funny Al. Made me think of my daughter who has seven dogs. German Shepard, American bulldog, a mutt and four Chihuahuas. All sleep with her and her hubby except the German Shepard "Gunny" (named after my SIL's military rank), the bulldog and one standoffish Chihuahua. She has MS and the dogs keep her going. She loves them and they adore her. Gunny senses the problem and is very protective of her. We all love our dogs and hate to have them not treated well.

T/Al, how can you ignore the look on that dogs face? "Please take me! Can I be yours? Please Al--PLEASE!"
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Just to finish up: the owner came to pick him up. She says it was the first time that she tethered him, and she did it because he marks all around the back yard. The kennel was full, and her neighbor who usually watches the dog was out.

She didn't know it was against the law or bad, but she does now.

She assured me that he's always in the house with the family when they are home.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Good news. You handled this very well.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Just to finish up: the owner came to pick him up. She says it was the first time that she tethered him, and she did it because he marks all around the back yard. The kennel was full, and her neighbor who usually watches the dog was out.

She didn't know it was against the law or bad, but she does now.

She assured me that he's always in the house with the family when they are home.
She didn't know it was against the law to tie up a dog for THREE days? Sounds like she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If you can't tie up your child for three days for making a mess all over the house with their toys, why would you think that it's okay to tie up your dog outside exposed to the weather for three days!!!

Gee, if my DH and I want to go on vacation and can't find any room at the kennel or friends to watch our dog, guess what? WE STAY HOME...duh.

Sounds like your "friends" are still complete morons and I wouldn't want to be friends with people who don't have two marbles in the brain department to rub together. Yes, I am an animal lover and it burns me up to hear of stories like this.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post

Sounds like your "friends" are still complete morons and I wouldn't want to be friends with people who don't have two marbles in the brain department to rub together. Yes, I am an animal lover and it burns me up to hear of stories like this.
Yep, they would no longer be friends of mine
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #35

People all over the country are abandoning their homes and leaving their animals behind to fend for themselves now. I guess on Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs, animals rate waaay down there. Maybe the care we take of those who can't fend well for themselves should be the way we rate civilization? And it ain't shinin' too bright during this Recession to me. Just IMHO.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

BTW, the owner called to tell me how grateful she was that I gave her the printouts on tethering and dog walking. That was nice, since it's rare for someone to express gratitude when you give them unsolicited advice.

She said she's thrown away the tether and stake.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Good thing nobody ever listens to me.

You handled this really well, Al. Congratulations.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Al,

You did great..especially for this particuar dog, and I'm sure he appreciates it that he will never have to be all chained up in knots.

BTW, you have bunnies (or a bunny?), right? How did they get along?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, the owner called to tell me how grateful she was that I gave her the printouts on tethering and dog walking. That was nice, since it's rare for someone to express gratitude when you give them unsolicited advice.

She said she's thrown away the tether and stake.
Great! So happy it worked out. Animal shelters and rescue groups already have more homeless pets than they can handle. It's so much better when people can be educated on how to responsibly care for their pets. You did a wonderful job handling this situation T-Al. If you lived in Virginia, I'd be trying to talk you into volunteering at the shelter I work with.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in rural southern Ohio. Most people had farms and lots of land and at least one dog. Almost everyone I knew had a dog house outside and the dog chained to the house or tree next to it. Some of the dogs would get let lose during the day and others (if they were hunting dogs) would only get let loose at night when they were going coon hunting. This was/is the "norm" not the exception where I grew up. Very few people allowed their dogs in their homes.

The dogs were well feed and treated kindly and didn't seem to mind being chained to the tree. I am a little surprised at the outrage on here.

You simply could not let your dogs "run free" in this environment because you would find them 5 miles away due to chasing various kind of game (deer mostly). Also hard to "fence in" the dog because most people have 100+ acres and thus no need for "fences" between you and the next farm/house.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote