Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sky, there were many things done in years past that would be considered reprehensible behavior today. I'll spare you a list.
Suffice it to say that most enlightened people would think chaining dogs is not only illegal, but cruel as well. Regardless of their upbringing.
In my parents' rural town, dogs and children didn't get vaccinations and I'm pretty sure they think both are a good idea now.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Sky, there were many things done in years past that would be considered reprehensible behavior today. I'll spare you a list.
Suffice it to say that most enlightened people would think chaining dogs is not only illegal, but cruel as well. Regardless of their upbringing.
In my parents' rural town, dogs and children didn't get vaccinations and I'm pretty sure they think both are a good idea now.
I understand the sentiment but tell me how you would keep a dog at home at night on a large farm without chaining it up or tying it up in some form? (Fenced in yard or area?)

Again, I am not talking about a lap dog but a hunting hound or other type normally found on farms.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminds me of an incident from about 10 years ago. DW and I always have a Golden Retriever and usually two so they are never alone. About once a week we walk them to a local diner for breakfast and leash them out front where we can see them from the window. We frequently talked to another couple who ate there about the same time as us and were fellow dog lovers. When the older dog died we were set to adopt a dog from the local Golden Rescue branch. We happened to talk to the couple in the restaurant about our application. Two days later we were called by Golden Rescue and told we were disqualified from ever adopting from them because we were reported for leaving our dogs chained up unattended. We said that was absolutely untrue and they cited the restaurant as "an example." They were uninterested in the fact that the dogs loved going there (because of the bacon) and were always in sight. Who knows - reading this thread I suppose it is possible (because of the territorial issues T-Al mentioned) that even tethering dogs in sight but out of immediate reach is a problem. If so, you would think the couple would have talked to us about the problem when we were talking dogs. Unfortunately, Golden Rescue ruled out one of the world's great dog lovers in DW and a reasonably close second in me. Interestingly, we never saw the rat-squealers in the diner again after the incident.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
BTW, you have bunnies (or a bunny?), right? How did they get along?
No, you're thinking of Nords. People often confuse us, but you can tell us apart because he's the one with the pony tail.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Hypothetical animal cruelty question:

A "friend" left his momma cat and newborn kitten at home for 8 days in his condo while he went to New York for vacation. This "friend" left plenty of water out, plenty of dry cat food, and enough wet cat food to last for roughly the amount of time until it would spoil. And the toilet seat was left up. And an extra litter box was left out.

Animal cruelty?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No, you're thinking of Nords. People often confuse us, but you can tell us apart because he's the one with the pony tail.
So sorry, Nords (wait, sorry, I meant Al).

My brain cells definitely misfired on this one.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Hypothetical animal cruelty question:

A "friend" left his momma cat and newborn kitten at home for 8 days in his condo while he went to New York for vacation. This "friend" left plenty of water out, plenty of dry cat food, and enough wet cat food to last for roughly the amount of time until it would spoil. And the toilet seat was left up. And an extra litter box was left out.

Animal cruelty?
Leaving a healthy adult for 2-3 days would be OK. Leaving a cat for 8 days with a newborn kitten? Not OK.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Leaving a healthy adult for 2-3 days would be OK. Leaving a cat for 8 days with a newborn kitten? Not OK.
My friend said it turned out very well in hindsight.

This explains why my friend isn't a big animal person. Luckily my friend is a better parent than animal caretaker.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

And the toilet seat was left up.
.... for??
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... for??
An endless supply of fresh water.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I hope you called the local shelter or animal control officer. Telling them is one thing, getting this poor animal away from them is a better idea.

Good for you Al for caring.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I understand the sentiment but tell me how you would keep a dog at home at night on a large farm without chaining it up or tying it up in some form? (Fenced in yard or area?)
Well, we keep ours in the barn....

Another option, if there is no barn, is an outdoor kennel, such as

Best Outdoor Dog Kennel Runs

We have several of these and can use them modularly to do several different configurations. Works fine for when we want them to be outdoors but want them confined in a smaller area than the whole property.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
......... About once a week we walk them to a local diner for breakfast and leash them out front where we can see them from the window.............
I almost got bitten by a dog tethered outside a restaurant window as you described. He leaped at me and would have nailed me if I had not jumped out of reach. I'm sure he felt he was protecting his owners inside, but I went into the restaurant and gave them hell. A dog on a leash or chain feels vulnerable and may well be more aggressive.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

You guys do realize T-Al made all this up about the Dog just to get your blood pressure up don't you?
There never was a black dog or a neighbor/friend.
He's just BS'ing all of us.
Steve
You can never trust a musician, don't you know.
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
You guys do realize T-Al made all this up about the Dog just to get your blood pressure up don't you?
There never was a black dog or a neighbor/friend.
He's just BS'ing all of us.
Steve
You can never trust a musician, don't you know.
Right. Musicians are wiley... buskers learned long ago that having a bedraggled dog staring dolefully at the crowd gets the tip jar fuller, faster.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I understand the sentiment but tell me how you would keep a dog at home at night on a large farm without chaining it up or tying it up in some form? (Fenced in yard or area?).
Yes, a fenced-in kennel area or run. They aren't expensive, they allow for a roof to keep the sun and rain off the dog while it is out, it keeps other dogs and predators from attacking the dog, and it's a lot more humane than a chain. I live in southern Ohio, and in some counties it's illegal to keep a dog on a chain.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
BTW, you have bunnies (or a bunny?), right? How did they get along?
Quote:
So sorry, Nords (wait, sorry, I meant Al).
Al and I get along fine!

Dogs think bunnies are great, even without the garlic sauce.

Seriously, though, we've been advised that it's best to have cohabiting dogs and bunnies be of roughly the same size and arrive at the new home either together or with the bunny going first.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Again, I am not talking about a lap dog but a hunting hound or other type normally found on farms.
I work with herding dog rescue (border collies) and many times we place dogs in working homes. Farmers understand the need to secure livestock, both from a value and a liability standpoint. Most of the time, "real" working dogs live in decent sized concrete runs with shelters when they aren't working. Lots of the most famous border collies in this country and in the UK (herding trial champions) secretly live in their master's houses as pets when not competing.

Even my grandfather's hunting dogs (and he was as old school as you could get) lived in fairly spacious pens. Never once was a dog tied up in his yard.

People who invest in well-trained stock dogs or hunting dogs wouldn't consider leaving their health and safety to chance with a tieout that could fail or choke the dog to death.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Right. Musicians are wiley... buskers learned long ago that having a bedraggled dog staring dolefully at the crowd gets the tip jar fuller, faster.

My husband discovered that if he sat on a bench in front of the beach grocery store near our house with our Carl when he was a cute puppy, that young girls in bikinis would bend over to pet said dog as they came in and out of the store.
He says he wished he'd known this before we got married.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
My husband discovered that if he sat on a bench in front of the beach grocery store near our house with our Carl when he was a cute puppy, that young girls in bikinis would bend over to pet said dog as they came in and out of the store.
He says he wished he'd known this before we got married.
Hey, what's he want with those adolescents when he's got a real live hoopin' woman?

Ha