Friends and the Internet

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
For all the concern about internet-based introductions, what with the lurking perverts, con artists, and the like, I am convinced after last week that with a little common sense, this is superb way to make new friends.

Last week, Lynn and I managed to get together in South Carolina with the Astromerias at their gorgeous place near Charleston. The McLesters were able to join us, too. Talking and laughing about some of the cybercharacters on this board was a bit like watching a Fellini movie, and it was a warm and wonderful evening, surely the start of new friendships. Opening your home and hospitality to someone you've only met through a message board takes great sensitivity, a welcoming heart, and a bit of chutzpah. The Astros have all that. We already started talking about our next visit when they visit Florida.

The McLesters are my heros, too - so far ahead on the road to FIRE at their early stage of life that it embarrases me to think where I wasn't at the same age.

I know some of you have managed to meet from time to time. All I can say is that if you have the chance to do so and feel that you are compatible based on your exchanges here, go for it in whatever way makes you comfortable.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
For all the concern about internet-based introductions, what with the lurking perverts, con artists, and the like, I am convinced after last week that with a little common sense, this is superb way to make new friends.

Last week, Lynn and I managed to get together in South Carolina with the Astromerias at their gorgeous place near Charleston. The McLesters were able to join us, too. Talking and laughing about some of the cybercharacters on this board was a bit like watching a Fellini movie, and it was a warm and wonderful evening, surely the start of new friendships. Opening your home and hospitality to someone you've only met through a message board takes great sensitivity, a welcoming heart, and a bit of chutzpah. The Astros have all that. We already started talking about our next visit when they visit Florida.

The McLesters are my heros, too - so far ahead on the road to FIRE at their early stage of life that it embarrases me to think where I wasn't at the same age.

I know some of you have managed to meet from time to time. All I can say is that if you have the chance to do so and feel that you are compatible based on your exchanges here, go for it in whatever way makes you comfortable.

Astro seems she's be a very intresting person to meet in real life. She's seems bright and engaging. Mclesters is Sarah, correct? I think she posts occasionally.

Laurence managed to convince me last year that he wasn't a serial killer, so I got the chance met him and his lovely family. I think Laurence and I spent time talking about the strange characters interesting people here as well as our favorite subject, ER.

I was hoping I could meet Fuzzy, since we live in the general area (well, sort of).

It is probably like a lot of other things in life. 1 Bad incident will spoil 1,000 great ones.

We all have locks on our doors, but I'm almost positive that if I never locked it, my house would not be intruded upon either.

As in all things in life, we take a chance no matter what we do.

Aw, thanks, Rich :) We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you & Lynn (and your pretty Doberman!), too. I think we left our spouses kinda rolling their eyes at each other while you, Sarah, and I were hooting & hollering over retirement, investments, and the doins 'round the forum.

I must say I chose my first Internet friends wisely. If you're lucky, some of YOU will get to meet Rich, Sarah, and ladelfina, too.

I met ESRBob for a lovely lunch. I'm hoping to meet others as time goes by.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Talking and laughing about some of the cybercharacters on this board was a bit like watching a Fellini movie, a

Oh, a Fellini movie, :-*

Who played JG?

OTOH, to paraphrase a cliche, perhaps it is better for some of us to remain hidden from view and thought a bit odd, rather than meet up and remove all doubt... :LOL:

REWahoo! said:
So...did you meet Fellini, JG or Leatherface?
Oh, that Fellini. I knew that. Sure.

Saver, Laurence, & Deserat so far, with more to follow...

We ought to have a Miss Congeniality (or Mr) award for the poster who has met the most other posters.

Back
Top Bottom