Join Early Retirement Today

Friends and the Internet
Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Friends and the Internet

For all the concern about internet-based introductions, what with the lurking perverts, con artists, and the like, I am convinced after last week that with a little common sense, this is superb way to make new friends.

Last week, Lynn and I managed to get together in South Carolina with the Astromerias at their gorgeous place near Charleston. The McLesters were able to join us, too. Talking and laughing about some of the cybercharacters on this board was a bit like watching a Fellini movie, and it was a warm and wonderful evening, surely the start of new friendships. Opening your home and hospitality to someone you've only met through a message board takes great sensitivity, a welcoming heart, and a bit of chutzpah. The Astros have all that. We already started talking about our next visit when they visit Florida.

The McLesters are my heros, too - so far ahead on the road to FIRE at their early stage of life that it embarrases me to think where I wasn't at the same age.

I know some of you have managed to meet from time to time. All I can say is that if you have the chance to do so and feel that you are compatible based on your exchanges here, go for it in whatever way makes you comfortable.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Friends and the Internet
Old 10-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
For all the concern about internet-based introductions, what with the lurking perverts, con artists, and the like, I am convinced after last week that with a little common sense, this is superb way to make new friends.

Last week, Lynn and I managed to get together in South Carolina with the Astromerias at their gorgeous place near Charleston. The McLesters were able to join us, too. Talking and laughing about some of the cybercharacters on this board was a bit like watching a Fellini movie, and it was a warm and wonderful evening, surely the start of new friendships. Opening your home and hospitality to someone you've only met through a message board takes great sensitivity, a welcoming heart, and a bit of chutzpah. The Astros have all that. We already started talking about our next visit when they visit Florida.

The McLesters are my heros, too - so far ahead on the road to FIRE at their early stage of life that it embarrases me to think where I wasn't at the same age.

I know some of you have managed to meet from time to time. All I can say is that if you have the chance to do so and feel that you are compatible based on your exchanges here, go for it in whatever way makes you comfortable.
Astro seems she's be a very intresting person to meet in real life. She's seems bright and engaging. Mclesters is Sarah, correct? I think she posts occasionally.

Laurence managed to convince me last year that he wasn't a serial killer, so I got the chance met him and his lovely family. I think Laurence and I spent time talking about the strange characters interesting people here as well as our favorite subject, ER.

I was hoping I could meet Fuzzy, since we live in the general area (well, sort of).

Old 10-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #3

It is probably like a lot of other things in life. 1 Bad incident will spoil 1,000 great ones.

We all have locks on our doors, but I'm almost positive that if I never locked it, my house would not be intruded upon either.

As in all things in life, we take a chance no matter what we do.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #4

Aw, thanks, Rich We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you & Lynn (and your pretty Doberman!), too. I think we left our spouses kinda rolling their eyes at each other while you, Sarah, and I were hooting & hollering over retirement, investments, and the doins 'round the forum.

I must say I chose my first Internet friends wisely. If you're lucky, some of YOU will get to meet Rich, Sarah, and ladelfina, too.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I met ESRBob for a lovely lunch. I'm hoping to meet others as time goes by.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Talking and laughing about some of the cybercharacters on this board was a bit like watching a Fellini movie, a
Oh, a Fellini movie,

Who played JG?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Oh, a Fellini movie,

Who played JG?
Leatherface?

JG
Old 10-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I've enjoyed every one of our meetings!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I've enjoyed every one of our meetings!
So...did you meet Fellini, JG or Leatherface?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

OTOH, to paraphrase a cliche, perhaps it is better for some of us to remain hidden from view and thought a bit odd, rather than meet up and remove all doubt...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
So...did you meet Fellini, JG or Leatherface?
Oh, that Fellini. I knew that. Sure.

Saver, Laurence, & Deserat so far, with more to follow...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We ought to have a Miss Congeniality (or Mr) award for the poster who has met the most other posters.