Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Towels? I vaguely remember the last time we bought towels, circa 1995 I think.
Hmmm...are they still soft and fluffy?
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Had our LG front loader for about 2 months. It was highly rated by Consumer Reports. (Online CR has a great video on how they test machines). It's everything they said it would be. Cost 620. I save on soap and it uses 1/3 the water, saving me about 40 gallons per load. I leave the door open and have no mildew smell yet. The machine tumbles the load after spinning and I've had no wrinkle problems. It dries so well during the spin, my dryer run time is far shorter. Best machine I've ever had. We'll see if it lasts.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Had our LG front loader for about 2 months. It was highly rated by Consumer Reports. (Online CR has a great video on how they test machines). It's everything they said it would be. Cost 620. I save on soap and it uses 1/3 the water, saving me about 40 gallons per load. I leave the door open and have no mildew smell yet. The machine tumbles the load after spinning and I've had no wrinkle problems. It dries so well during the spin, my dryer run time is far shorter. Best machine I've ever had. We'll see if it lasts.
do washing machines really use 60 gallons/load? good golly.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
do washing machines really use 60 gallons/load? good golly.
I had an Amana and it did use 60 gallons.(good math by the way 8-) ) I know because I tried to use the water to irrigate my front yard and was totally unprepared for how much came out. I measured it in 5 gallon buckets and got some good exercise running back and forth to the front yard.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Thanks for the tip. I did a bit of research and I actually think I could repair the thing myself. However, when I suggested that to my wife, I sensed a bit of disappointment. She's very frugal, rarely asks for anything, and seldom spends money on herself, so I'm not going to press the issue.
Well, you're doing the right thing for your spouse, as well as avoiding premature granting of a Darwin Award.

However the marriage code says that if, after buying the new washer, you fix up the old washer and sell it, then you get to keep all the money for yourself and buy all the beer power tools you want.

FixItNow.com

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #46

We have a front loader (Kenmore HE2t) and love it. It seems to get the clothes really clean and we haven't had any mold or issues so far. We leave the door slightly ajar after each load and we live in a pretty dry climate. We got some good rebates ($300) from our water company and a smaller rebate from the gas company.

Biggest disadvantage for us is that the washer takes longer to do a load than a top loader.

As far as how full to load it, I'm not really sure. Does everyone just stuff theirs full or do you load it till there's a certain amount of headroom in the tub? I didn't see anything in the manual on how much to load it.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, you're doing the right thing for your spouse, as well as avoiding premature granting of a Darwin Award.

However the marriage code says that if, after buying the new washer, you fix up the old washer and sell it, then you get to keep all the money for yourself and buy all the beer power tools you want.

FixItNow.com

FixItNow.com has a video for replacing the drum seal. They make it look so easy, but it doesn't require that I get any new tools. Mmmm beer!
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh, and I don't bother with special towels for guests. Maybe this is why they don't stay long.
Clever ploy! Best not to encourage them...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Not to highjack this thread but has anybody had any experience with combo washer/dryer units? Particularly those that run on 110v and have condenser type dryers?

We are moving into an apartment in a failed condo conversion project (renting). Our unit has washer plumbing, but apparently the development went broke before the 220v wiring or dryer vents were put in.
Do you mean the stacked units or the combo (size of one washing machine)?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not to highjack this thread but has anybody had any experience with combo washer/dryer units? Particularly those that run on 110v and have condenser type dryers?
As luck would have it, I now have experience with a condensing dryer. I'm in Germany and the hotel has one for our use. It's a very nice-looking Miele unit--stainless steel cabinet and door, multifunction LED display, etc. Observations:
- The lint screen is a very fine mesh, tighter than on conventional US dryers. This is good, because every bit of lint that gets past it is going to blow right into your home.
- Drying takes a loooong time. My very modest-size load has been going around in that thing for over 90 minutes, and the clothes are still very damp. I finally removed them and hung things all over the hotel room. Maybe it's only supposed to get things mostly dry, but removing the last moisture is impractical (the condenser coil doesn't get cool enough?) Anyway, if this performance is typical, I wouldn't consider the machine. It might be a good choice for old European homes (where maybe the laundry room isn't on an external wall, or the structure is made of granite blocks so installing a vent is impractical), but I wouldn't want to put up with the inconvenience of long cycle times or handling clothes twice (to hang them up for the final drying).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
Do you mean the stacked units or the combo (size of one washing machine)?
Either, but must be compact. Full sized units won't fit.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We are moving into an apartment in a failed condo conversion project (renting). Our unit has washer plumbing, but apparently the development went broke before the 220v wiring or dryer vents were put in.
Those were the norm when I lived in Europe. Basements are unusual and the washer/dryer is usually in the kitchen. I find that separate dryers are more effective.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
As luck would have it, I now have experience with a condensing dryer. I'm in Germany and the hotel has one for our use. It's a very nice-looking Miele unit--stainless steel cabinet and door, multifunction LED display, etc. Observations:
- The lint screen is a very fine mesh, tighter than on conventional US dryers. This is good, because every bit of lint that gets past it is going to blow right into your home.
- Drying takes a loooong time. My very modest-size load has been going around in that thing for over 90 minutes, and the clothes are still very damp. I finally removed them and hung things all over the hotel room. Maybe it's only supposed to get things mostly dry, but removing the last moisture is impractical (the condenser coil doesn't get cool enough?) Anyway, if this performance is typical, I wouldn't consider the machine. It might be a good choice for old European homes (where maybe the laundry room isn't on an external wall, or the structure is made of granite blocks so installing a vent is impractical), but I wouldn't want to put up with the inconvenience of long cycle times or handling clothes twice (to hang them up for the final drying).
This is my experience too.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

We have a front load Maytag. DW loves it, and I guess its ok. But coins - only pennies and dimes - escape the drum and get caught in the drain line to the pump, the pump itself, and the drain line out of the washer. There is always some weird noises coming from the washer when this happens.

I have to take the washer apart about once every 2 months to take the coins out. Last week we had a "no drain" code and I removed about 8 coins, and installed a larger diameter drain line. The "no drain" code remained after DW tried washing the next load. I could not figure it out, so we called the service guy. It turned out that I had loosened the electrical connection to the pump. Oh well, next time I'll have to check the electrical connection as part of my coin removal tasks
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I have to take the washer apart about once every 2 months to take the coins out.
Have you considered primary prevention emptying the pockets before putting the clothes in the washing machine?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Have you considered primary prevention emptying the pockets before putting the clothes in the washing machine?

You obviously never worked in a large corporation.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We have a front load Maytag. DW loves it, and I guess its ok. But coins - only pennies and dimes - escape the drum and get caught in the drain line to the pump, the pump itself, and the drain line out of the washer. There is always some weird noises coming from the washer when this happens.

I have to take the washer apart about once every 2 months to take the coins out. Last week we had a "no drain" code and I removed about 8 coins, and installed a larger diameter drain line. The "no drain" code remained after DW tried washing the next load. I could not figure it out, so we called the service guy. It turned out that I had loosened the electrical connection to the pump. Oh well, next time I'll have to check the electrical connection as part of my coin removal tasks
Happens with top loaders as well. Had a coin-op machine driving me nuts - wouldn't empty the drum, but only sometimes. Removed all drain lines and checked for obstructions, replaced the belt, and removed the pump and was trying to convince myself that the impeller vanes were worn down enough to cause a no-drain situation. Talked with the repairman at my favorite used appliance store, who pointed me at the nipple for the hose leading from the drum to the pump. The nipple is sheet metal and rolled in at the edge to give a soft starting point for the hose. The rolled in edges were just the right size to catch a penny and have it act as a butterfly valve. A good tug with vicegrips and the problem was solved. Betcha I've thrown away several washers that had that exact problem.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #58

I purchased a top loader high efficiency machine a little over a year ago since the front loaders are too deep to fit in my utility closet. It is not that great and the manufacturer recommends running a cleaning cycle every time the clean washer light comes on with a product called Affresh (costs about $3-4 per tablet). After a short while my dark clothing started coming out with residue on them and not just lint. I always leave the lid open to allow it to dry and prevent musty smells. Last summer after a trip to the beach I put a pair of socks with sand in them (after shaking out as much as possible) and the wash cycle equally distributed the sand over all the clothes. My clothes have never been so wrinkled in decades since I hang to dry many of my clothes and don't put them in the dryer. About the only good thing is the rebate and tax credit on this machine. After reading some discussions on a forum (home and garden web) discussing problems with mainly front loaders I am now cleaning my washer with a cup of powdered Cascade for it's cleaning cycles and planning to switch to a powdered detergent once I finish the liquids I already bought. Often I need to run extra rinses or a soak and rinse to get sand or stains or dirt out.

Some people with the musty smell issue in their towels or clothing have been able to eliminate it with Smelly Washer which is a cleaner that supposedly eliminates the problem if used on a regular basis. Amazon reviewers give the product an average 4 star rating from 8 reviews.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #59

We love ours, very efficient and no issues with musty smells.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I should point out that we should properly refer to washers as "horizontal axis" or "vertical axis" machines. The Staber is a "top loader" but it is a horizontal-axis machine so it washes clothes like a front-loader. Except it has no need for waterproof doors, big rubber seals, and both ends of the drum are marvelously suspended by a stout and easy-to-access bearing unlike any front-loader. But, I digress . . .
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote