Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
As noted, mold smell from the washer is common - have to keep the door wide open to reduce mold growth. Wrinkles from overloading are common here as well. When we had the high dollar ASKO set that spun so fast the clothes came out of the washer before we started the load, we would set wrinkles big-time, especially in jeans. Also hard to do big stuff like comforters. Makes the Staber look like a good machine, but they ain't cheap...

* Oo Oo! The Asko spun out sooo much water we had to add a cup to use the dryer.

We do keep the door open and let the washer dry... and my wife continues to wipe under the rubber washer that seals the door... but the towels still do not smell 'fresh and clean' like they used to. I have not looked... but to me when you do a load of towels there is not enough water for all of them to get a good wash... a towel can hold a lot of water.. so 10 towels can hold that much more...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Washing Machines! I think this is our most oft-discussed appliance.

Here's one of the threads on the Staber washer. We still like ours a lot, it just keeps on humming. I know that there are probably a lot of good front-loading machines out there, but there have also been a lot of clunkers (issues with mold even when the door is left open, problems with bearings and seals, expensive proprietary circuitboards and membrane switches that fail prematurely, etc). This thing is simple, built like a tank, easy to fix, and seems to wash clothes well. After having a front-loader fail early due to poor design, I decided that I wanted a well-designed, sturdy machine if I was going to plunk down $1000 again.

Here's a Staber video SueJ found earlier.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We do keep the door open and let the washer dry... and my wife continues to wipe under the rubber washer that seals the door... but the towels still do not smell 'fresh and clean' like they used to. I have not looked... but to me when you do a load of towels there is not enough water for all of them to get a good wash... a towel can hold a lot of water.. so 10 towels can hold that much more...
I avoid this issue by using $2 Wallyworld towels for everyday use. Keep the fluffy, oversized towels for "guests"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
i love other people's, as it allows perfectly fine conventional washer and dryers to be picked up for under $300 a set. Ours was cheap and sister's was like $250 for washer and dryer.
In 2006 we paid $600 on Craigslist for our 2004-model Kenmore front-loading washer/dryer set. (It was made by Frigidaire.) They've been chugging along just fine. Haven't had to do a thing with them other than leave the doors open for a day or so after a load.

The best part is that our teen does her own laundry.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I hope nobody here has this washer...

GE recalls 181,000 washing machines - Jun. 10, 2010

Quote:
General Electric is recalling 181,000 front-load washing machines due to a faulty wire that poses a fire and shock risk, the company announced Thursday.
The appliance maker said there have been seven incidents of minor smoke damage when flames escaped from the machines. No injuries have been reported.
Quote:
The company, conducting the recall in conjunction with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, is asking consumers to immediately stop using the hazardous machine, unplug it from the electrical outlet and contact GE (GE, Fortune 500) for a free repair.
The recalled washers begin with model number WBVH5 and were sold nationwide from December 2006 through May 2010, retailing for about $700.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post

GE recalls 181,000 washing machines - Jun. 10, 2010
Guess that's one way to make doing laundry exciting...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not to highjack this thread but has anybody had any experience with combo washer/dryer units? Particularly those that run on 110v and have condenser type dryers?

We are moving into an apartment in a failed condo conversion project (renting). Our unit has washer plumbing, but apparently the development went broke before the 220v wiring or dryer vents were put in.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

LOVE IT! BOught one for our lake home too. Then my daughter and MIL each got one- all love it.

I keep the door open a crack when not in use, and have no ordor problems at all. Use have to use high efficiency detergent (low sudsing), but they use far less water. Mu husband gets really dirty at work, and the clothes always get really clean!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #29

I vote upright. Our front loader only lasted 5 years .... bearings went and they wanted 2k to fix it! You asking alot when you want the spin to defy gravity.

Oh, the mold smell was bad too.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Not to highjack this thread but has anybody had any experience with combo washer/dryer units? Particularly those that run on 110v and have condenser type dryers?

We are moving into an apartment in a failed condo conversion project (renting). Our unit has washer plumbing, but apparently the development went broke before the 220v wiring or dryer vents were put in.
I have no experience with such machines. I'm sure it will be cheaper to install a 220V circuit and a duct than to buy and then fix such a complex machine the first time it breaks. Your place will have a higher resale value, too. Buyers probably won't be excited about needing to maintain a special high $$ machine just to do laundry, and may want the higher throughput of a separate dedicated washer and dryer.
Are all the condo units like this? I'd be concerned. Dryers cause a lot of fires, and if a neighbor does a crummy job of installing a vent, it could have a big impact on you. Likewise, if he simply filters the waste air and dumps it into his house in the winter "to save energy", that moisture is going into his attic and your attic.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a very timely thread. Our 20 year old top loading Kenmore gave out a few days ago. The wash water now runs out onto the garage floor, so I'm guessing the drum seal is bad. It could probably be fixed, but I think we're interested in upgrading(?) to a front loader. Whatever we buy, we're hoping it's as reliable as the washer it's replacing has been.

We've got the Whirlpool Duet on our short list, so I'm glad to see the positive responses from a couple of forum members who have this model. We've also looked at the Staber recommended by SamClem, but I don't think this is what my wife currently has in mind. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Since my mother lives near by, we'll be able to do our laundry there for a while. This will allow us to take our time to do some research and shop around. It will also allow me to install a washing machine tray and drain and make some minor plumbing upgrades (our current setup has the washer connected to utility sink faucets and draining into the utility basin).

Regards,
Wino
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #32

Quote:

I have been giving some thought to a combo washer/dryer unit but have not explored them as my appliances still work. They seem to be more popular in Europe(my son has one in the kitchen of his apartment in London). I have a really small utility room off my kitchen, and a combo unit would give me more space. My aunt insisted on buying me the washer and dryer as a gift when I moved in 6 years ago, and I didn't want to go with something too expensive. I have used an LG front loader as a houseguest...it was super, but they are big!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In my single days I had an Equator front loader washer dryer which functioned well as hamper until full. Then hit Go button in the morning. When back from from w*rk. Wash and dry were done. I liked the no hassle simple features, and it worked well for more than five years. Used miniscule amount of water.

After acquiring wife (that should raise some brows, done for effect ) She put up with it for about a year then we acquired "proper" washing drying units.

We still have that machine taking up some space in the garage. Yes I did move it 250 miles to our new place.

Now wife decided that the perfectly working washer and dryer units are so yesterday - she marshalled her bank account - notice: her bank account - and a pair of spanking new front loading steam cleaning and other magick tricks laundry processing apparati will arrive next week to be enthroned on pedestals in the laundry room. The old units will be carted away.

No, my old Equator is not leaving. I may make it into a centrifuge or something.

I know nothing about the new units - she did the research on what she wanted and where to buy.

Edit add: By the way the Equator is a 110 Volts, small machine, but that sucker is VERY heavy. I thas lead weights in it for vibration and harmonic damping. Did I say heavy?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
"The appliance maker said there have been seven incidents of minor smoke damage when flames escaped from the machines."
Interesting-- the flames are only considered to be a problem when they escape from the machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
This is a very timely thread. Our 20 year old top loading Kenmore gave out a few days ago. The wash water now runs out onto the garage floor, so I'm guessing the drum seal is bad. It could probably be fixed, but I think we're interested in upgrading(?) to a front loader. Whatever we buy, we're hoping it's as reliable as the washer it's replacing has been.
I've been in that situation, and the fix turned out to be a new $2 drain hose between the bottom of the drum and the inlet to the drain pump. (They can embrittle & crack with age.) And if you're really really lucky, yours may have just worked loose from the connectors.

I remember that the water-spewing casualty was far worse than the repair. Turns out that our garage floor doesn't drain out into the driveway-- it drains under the wall into our kid's bedroom. So one of those leak trays is a great idea too.

I'm not suggesting that it's worth fixing, but you'd be amazed what some Craigslist buyers will pay $50-$75 for.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whatever we buy, we're hoping it's as reliable as the washer it's replacing has been.
Unfortunately, this is a tall order these days. Many of the machines are really not made as well as they were years ago. Plastic has replaced metal in many of the transmissions, electronic circuits/unitary switch panels have replaced single-function switches and mechanical timers (cheap, common and non-proprietary, easily replaced), and the motors are sometimes built "good enough" to last a few years. As the importance of low initial cost has grown, the manufacturers have responded in predictable ways.

Quote:
It will also allow me to install a washing machine tray and drain and make some minor plumbing upgrades (our current setup has the washer connected to utility sink faucets and draining into the utility basin).
Installing the washer tray is smart. You might also consider this device--when it senses water (on the floor or in the tray) it turns off the flow of water to the washer. It costs about $140, takes only a few minutes to install. It's even more important for those who don't have a washer drain pan or at least a floor drain in the same room. For anybody with a washer--it's very possible that someday a supply hose is going to break or a hose/hose clamp inside the washer is going to fail. The result can be very inconvenient and expensive.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I avoid this issue by using $2 Wallyworld towels for everyday use. Keep the fluffy, oversized towels for "guests"...
There are towels other than $2 Wallyworld towels?

You wouldn't know it by examining my bathroom towels. The things I learn on this board.

Oh, and I don't bother with special towels for guests. Maybe this is why they don't stay long.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
There are towels other than $2 Wallyworld towels?

You wouldn't know it by examining my bathroom towels. The things I learn on this board.

Oh, and I don't bother with special towels for guests. Maybe this is why they don't stay long.
True. I have kinda thin towels for my guests as my guest bath is rather small(this is what comes from purchasing a spec house in the frame-up stage, didn't realize some of the corners cut). These thin towels dry quickly, especially as most of my guests tend to be couples (hence twice the towels in the smaller full bath). The master bath is large so I have the big towels for moi (bought for very little at TJX). Someone mentioned Bosch earlier. I had a two-drawer Bosch dishwasher in my previous home. Loved it! Very quiet and did a superior job. My builder put in my current dishwasher and it is noisy. A good brand but probably a cheaper model. I bought my own stove and fridge and splurged on Viking. Am heating a can of soup as we "speak". Definitely needed Viking for this task!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #38

Towels? I vaguely remember the last time we bought towels, circa 1995 I think.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
I love ours, we bought a Kenmore in 2001 and it's been great (knock on wood). I do leave the door open to avoid the moldy smell, but I don't particularly notice problems with wrinkles (then again, I probably wouldn't). I also don't overload it.

The other thing I really like is that it's not nearly as hard on our clothes as the old top-loaders. And it spins so much more water out of each load that the dryer time is cut dramatically.

I would definitely buy another one.
I'm in this group, too. Bought one at Sears in 2004, and love it. Uses a fraction of the water a traditional washer uses, and does a great job.

The only annoyance is the display that tells you how many minutes are left. Seems pretty random to me, so I refer to them as "Microsoft minutes" after the ridiculous progress dialogs shown in so much software.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've been in that situation, and the fix turned out to be a new $2 drain hose between the bottom of the drum and the inlet to the drain pump. (They can embrittle & crack with age.) And if you're really really lucky, yours may have just worked loose from the connectors.
Nords,
Thanks for the tip. I did a bit of research and I actually think I could repair the thing myself. However, when I suggested that to my wife, I sensed a bit of disappointment. She's very frugal, rarely asks for anything, and seldom spends money on herself, so I'm not going to press the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Unfortunately, this is a tall order these days. Many of the machines are really not made as well as they were years ago. Plastic has replaced metal in many of the transmissions, electronic circuits/unitary switch panels have replaced single-function switches and mechanical timers (cheap, common and non-proprietary, easily replaced), and the motors are sometimes built "good enough" to last a few years. As the importance of low initial cost has grown, the manufacturers have responded in predictable ways.
Samclem,
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. These things are not cheap, and the out-of-warranty repair costs seem outrageous. I also sense that it is not
a case of "you get what you pay for". It seems that the more expensive models simply have more features (i.e. more things that can break). I also worry about the repair time; it seems that parts supply chain for some of the foreign brands isn't very good.

Thanks also for the tip about the water shut-off valves.

Regards,
Wino
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote