Join Early Retirement Today

Front Load Washing Machine
Old 06-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Front Load Washing Machine

How do you like your front loader?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife loves hers. We had one, a GE and it lasted only 5 years, cost to fix it too high. Recently replaced with a Samsung VRT Steam which is just remarkable. Cleans well, uses little water & soap and sings to us. All it has to do is last 20 years and I too will love it.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Note that they can't be used for felting yarn.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have liked ours, similar to yakers, our fist one only lasted a few years and the cost to replace the 'mutherboard' was prohibitive.
Liked it enough to get another front loader that has last >5 years so far.
Don't keep good enough records to notice any type of water/electricity savings, but I know it uses less (water that is).
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Paging SamClem!

I'd just like a washer and dryer. Living 30 miles from a laundromat is tedious and I can only do laundry at my cousin's house for so many years.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
gone traveling

I love my front loader, it makes doing laundry fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontloader.jpg (14.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #7

We bought a new LG front loading washer and dryer about 3 1/2 years ago. DW says they are the best washer and dryer she's ever had, so I'm happy with them also. (heh)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought the Whirlpool Duet 1 year ago. DW and I love it! When we first got it, we watched it instead of re-runs on TV.
It cleans great, has steam and de-wrinkle features and is efficient.
Worth the outlay.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Search "Staber" on this forum. Highly recc by samclem (edit, as Martha pointed out, but here's the washer name also).

-ERD50
Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #10

i love other people's, as it allows perfectly fine conventional washer and dryers to be picked up for under $300 a set. Ours was cheap and sister's was like $250 for washer and dryer.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I don't like it... but since I do not use it much I did not have a vote in the purchase (well... I did, but the decision was already made we were getting a front loader)...

The reason is that my wash and wear clothes come out wrinkled... I even have the steam option on the washer and dryer and they still are wrinkled.. fortunately for me my wife irons...

I also can smell the difference in the towels... there is a lot written about this. It is not so bad all the time, but it is enough that I do not like it... I remember the top loader had wonderful smelling towels...

One problem that I have is that my wife sometimes wants to stuff it so full... I don't know how it can clean with that much junk in there...

Last... the cost is a lot higher than top loaders... I don't see you saving enough on water and electricity to make up the difference..

So far seems that I am the only negative voice... so YMMV....
Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I don't like it... but since I do not use it much I did not have a vote in the purchase (well... I did, but the decision was already made we were getting a front loader)...

The reason is that my wash and wear clothes come out wrinkled... I even have the steam option on the washer and dryer and they still are wrinkled.. fortunately for me my wife irons...

I also can smell the difference in the towels... there is a lot written about this. It is not so bad all the time, but it is enough that I do not like it... I remember the top loader had wonderful smelling towels...

One problem that I have is that my wife sometimes wants to stuff it so full... I don't know how it can clean with that much junk in there...

Last... the cost is a lot higher than top loaders... I don't see you saving enough on water and electricity to make up the difference..

So far seems that I am the only negative voice... so YMMV....
As noted, mold smell from the washer is common - have to keep the door wide open to reduce mold growth. Wrinkles from overloading are common here as well. When we had the high dollar ASKO set that spun so fast the clothes came out of the washer before we started the load, we would set wrinkles big-time, especially in jeans. Also hard to do big stuff like comforters. Makes the Staber look like a good machine, but they ain't cheap...

* Oo Oo! The Asko spun out sooo much water we had to add a cup to use the dryer.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
We bought a new LG front loading washer and dryer about 3 1/2 years ago. DW says they are the best washer and dryer she's ever had, so I'm happy with them also. (heh)
If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

I like my 15yo top load washer, front load dryer set that cost $700...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #14

We love our front load washer. Have had it about 4 years with no problems at all. (We had lots of problems with our prior top loader - electrical panel kept going out). We do leave the door open when it is empty and have had no problem with mold. It is important not to overfill it and don't use too much detergent. Leaving aside the issues of whether it reduces cost of washing and does a better job (I think it does) I will also mention it is more comfortable to use. Ours came with a stand at the bottom so it is raised higher than a conventional washer/dryer (we also have a matching dryer). So it is very easy to take out the clothes without having to bend over and fish something out of a top loader.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #15

I love ours, we bought a Kenmore in 2001 and it's been great (knock on wood). I do leave the door open to avoid the moldy smell, but I don't particularly notice problems with wrinkles (then again, I probably wouldn't). I also don't overload it.

The other thing I really like is that it's not nearly as hard on our clothes as the old top-loaders. And it spins so much more water out of each load that the dryer time is cut dramatically.

I would definitely buy another one.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
As noted, mold smell from the washer is common - have to keep the door wide open to reduce mold growth. Wrinkles from overloading are common here as well. When we had the high dollar ASKO set that spun so fast the clothes came out of the washer before we started the load, we would set wrinkles big-time, especially in jeans. Also hard to do big stuff like comforters. Makes the Staber look like a good machine, but they ain't cheap...

* Oo Oo! The Asko spun out sooo much water we had to add a cup to use the dryer.
Theoretically, there's less wear and tear on the clothes without the agitator - does anyone have an opinion based on experience? (Well of course you have opinions...) I like my top loader fine but it's 10+ years old so at any time it could go.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Whirlpool Duet and have had them for four years. I love them. I have not had any of the problems others are talking about. My cloths are very clean. The towels are soft without softener sheets. I have noticed that cloths do not show wear like they do with the top loader. Colors are bright after years of washing. My white things are brighter also. I sound like a commercial don't I?

I will never have a top loader again.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Bought a Kenmore He2 front loader and loved it until the processor died just out of warranty. It still does work, but only on some cycles. Upon researching it on the internet, it seems to be a common problem. And of course, the processors that are purchased by the manufacturer for a couple of bucks are a hundred or two to the consumer. I even took the precaution of plugging it into a surge suppressor.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!
Ain't that the truth!

I'm no longer allowed to touch the laundry, not since the great "pen left in the kid's jeans pocket" incident of '07, so I don't care except for keeping the Princess happy. The longer we owned our front loader the more unhappy she became. The disadvantages, in her mind, far outweighed any advantages, and the washer and dryer both went off to appliance heaven (she couldn't stand the dryer either) and were replaced with a top-loader and matching dryer.

Some of the problems we encountered were perhaps brand specific, and I will never own another appliance made by Bosch.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
+1 on the LG duo, we call them the "magic machines" as the clothes come out far better in all ways then the old top load washer. The Dryer is just plain better. Yes I have to remember to leave the washer door open to dry out after use, and yes you have to clean the filters, no big deal, but the results are well magical