Frugal Habits

I'd say to do your own taxes only if you are confident that you can catch all the deductions, etc.

I wasted a few thousand doing my own taxes for several years, because I didn't know that I could have a company medical plan, and deduct all medical and health insurance payments.

I bought two new vehicles in my lifetime. (1) 1983 GMC High Sierra; kept it 17 years and (2) 1987 Ford Taurus, kept it 14 years. If I had it to do over, would not ever buy a new one.

When working, I used to eat out about 4 times weekly. Now, eat out less, and also like to eat lunch versus dinner. Reason: Lunch is cheaper. Sunday paper has coupons or you can get local ones online.

Of course, now that I'm officially a senior citizen, never forget to ask for senior discount. And never forget to ask for military discount, either.

Sales, sales, sales. If you have to buy something, like say a new laptop or even something as minor as a shirt, know the usual price and then wait for a sale. Knowledge is power. I used to buy a suit each year. Retail salesman told me they were on sale fromday after New Years until Super Bowl. There used to be a lady on local radio, whose motto was, "never pay retail." Good advice.

Oh and if you buy something, and it's defective, minor or not, call 'em, email 'em, write 'em a letter. You stand a good chance of getting the item replaced free of charge. DW is very good at this!

Best advice though, is do without! No impulse purchases. You probably don't need "it" anyway!

TromboneAl said:
I'd say to do your own taxes only if you are confident that you can catch all the deductions, etc. 

I wasted a few thousand doing my own taxes for several years, because I didn't know that I could have a company medical plan, and deduct all medical and health insurance payments.

I used to do taxes for a living. Still, I hire a CPA firm to do the returns for my tiny holding company. I have a lot of confidence in myself, but I'm not stupid.

JG

When I occasionally dine out, I use restaurant.com gift certificates which normally costs $10 for a $25 GC but I wait until they have either a 50%-60% off the $10 cost.
Being single with smaller food supply requirement, I use my bicycle to do my shopping. I combine gas-free transportation with aerobic exercise.
Buy your "stuff" off season.

I do miss work ;), no more free.... tea bags, spenda, faxing, xerox copying, bagels, LD calls etc.

Back
Top Bottom