Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just use a piece of flint and a little cold water....can't look too neat, otherwise people wouldn't buy my pencils or put loose change in my tin cup.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I just use a piece of flint and a little cold water....can't look too neat, otherwise people wouldn't buy my pencils or put loose change in my tin cup.
OMG, you are hilarious!

I buy this for DH and roommate:
C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream

DH is a hairy devil, and has gone with a beard a good bit, but is clean shaven at the moment. He got a single blade old school razor for Xmas, but hasn't quite mastered it, so he's back on the disposables. Roommate is a barber apprentice, so is totally old school since that what his training is all about.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I've been using DSC "not so hairy" option, where they send four blades every two months (instead of monthly). Now that you've cracked the code on where I can get them direct, I'll probably cancel that and just order blades direct.

I, too, shave in the shower. I am hardly a tough shave, and don't need a mirror. I use a "pre-shave" face wash and just shave with that and use a regular SPF-15 face lotion after, no issues. On the road, I just use whatever hotel soap and lotion and get by for a few days, no issue.

I really like the Art of Shaving oils and creams, but I won't justify spending that kind of money just for a fancy shave whose end result for me is no different than shaving in the shower.
+1
Replaced expensive Gillette Mach 3 with DSC every two month option. Love the blades and thought they were a great price compared to Gillette. I'll be switching to the direct model. I did try DSC's Dr. Carver shave butter, nice stuff much better than any cream I've found. I'll try the shower first instead.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had good luck with BIC disposable razors. When I was shaving regularly for w*rk I could get at least 2 weeks out of one. Now it depends on my mood, but they last a long time. And I have a heavy Italian beard.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I purchased Dorco with 12 blades for about $20. It is the six blade model. Only had it for a month, but seems just as good as what I was using.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I've been using a Norelco electric razor for the past 50 years and have been happy, but then what do I know. I like Bud Light, too.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I used to use Norelco electric razors until Remington came out with their clone of a Norelco for half the cost.

My problem is keeping up with recharging cords--and razors. With 2 houses and a RV, I lose parts.

I waited too long to shave the other day and had to buy a new razor--my 3rd one. The next day, I found the cord that'd fit #1 and #2.

Retirement's tough--especially when I only shave on Wednesdays and Sundays.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #28

DH has a goatee - but has to shave his cheeks and neck... He uses my razor in the shower. I have trained him to rinse it and dry it. (He wasn't doing that.)

I'll have to look into the dorco blades... we're using the mach 3.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Let's see....about 16 or 17 years ago, due to my anger at paying so much for blades, I bought a straight razor. BIG learning curve. For several weeks I looked like I was dating Lizzie Borden. After I got the hang of it, the straight razor gave me the best shave I've ever had. My problem was I could never get the hang of sharpening it. I tried and tried. I just suck at it. I didn't want to go back to cartridges so I bought a safety razor (you know, the double edge type). 100 blades cost me $18. They are good blades. I could stretch it but, I'm retired so I go through two to three blades a month, more if I feel like it. If I think it's even a little dull I chuck it.

After the initial cost of the razor, which can be cheap or expensive, you'll shave for about six bucks a year not counting soap/cream. You save so much you could even indulge yourself with a little higher-end cream. No maintenance, really. I also bought an old 1965 Gillette razor which is coded that it was made during the three months encompassing my birth. I use that on (around) my birthday.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with a safety. You don't press as hard as you do with a cartridge, for example. Tons of YT videos on the subject.

Ron
r2021t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #30
Administrator

After some encouragement from members on this board, I switched to a straight razor several years back. It has been wonderful. After the initial expense of buying the razor, brush, strop and hone, it is virtually free (a little shaving soap every several months is the only ongoing expense). I very much enjoy the zen of straight razor shaving. It forces you to relax, use a steady hand and concentrate on what you are doing rather than all the other crazy stuff in your life. To me, it is quite satisfying, like handcrafting some project. I even enjoy sharpening my razors ( I have 7 of them). Plus, I get the closest shaves ever.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #31

Since the stubble beard look is apparently accepted as a *style* and not evidence of being homeless, I now let my beard grow out for about a week between shaves. I use a safety razor, and even when I used to shave every day, I only replaced the razor once every 3 months approx. I have an average thickness beard and on those days when I'm not shaving right out of the shower, there is quite a rough feel to the act of shaving. But not bad enough to start a new blade.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I use an electric shaver...it takes 30 - 45 seconds a day, it's fast and no hassle. If there was a faster and more convenient method I'd consider it, but I haven't found one yet.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
frugal shaving
Old 02-24-2016, 01:29 AM   #33

frugal shaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
DH has a goatee - but has to shave his cheeks and neck...
I grew a goatee a couple of years ago. I only shave the cheeks/neck area about twice a week. The goatee still looks pretty good with a two/three day growth next to it. I should have done it decades ago.

I buy CVS knock off double blade disposables (3 packs, using CVS bonus dollars), and get 3 weeks or so to a razor.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

There is where I am heading after being forced to shave for 34 plus years (pic). I will save tons! DW says she reserves the right to play Delilah some night
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1456319649.713170.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Backdraft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Beyond that I use a Mach 3. You can see lots of videos on the internet on how to prolong these puppies using an old piece of denim. Been doing that for a couple of years now. Definitely prolongs their life, but I haven't figured out how to do the same thing with the little single-blade on these razors that are used for trimming.
+1.

In ER, I am surprised to find myself shaving only twice a week -- if that. Depends on whether I have to look cleancut or not for some event or get-together.

But I also dry off my Mach 3 razor blades by pushing them against my bath towel. Then I strop the razor on denim -- about 7 times in each direction. It works well for me. A blade lasts 4 or 5 months this way. So I only buy a small pack of blades every couple of years at this point. Savings are huge.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #36

both DW and I have been using Dorco for 2 years and like the results and prices. I started with the 6 blade but dropped to the 4 blade...seems better for my beard.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
A couple of years ago I began experimenting with saving money on razors. The blades that worked best for shaving my head were the Gillette Mach 3, but I began to chafe at the prices. I briefly and carefully tested a straight razor, but while extremely frugal it was also rather unnerving. And slow.

Google eventually revealed a truly cheap alternative, Dorco. They make the razors used by the Dollar Shave Club. They also sell direct, so I ordered a box of 24 blades. I also ordered the handle, which came with an extra 3-blade and 4-blade cartridge. So 26 blades in all.

The order shipped in late September, 2014. I probably started using the blades in October.

I just double-checked my supply. I still have eight blades left, not counting the one on the razor.

Now I shave my head twice a week, same for my face. I sometimes shave my face separately, but I probably average 2x/week over a year. Those are some long-lasting blades! And this might be my most frugal purchase ever.

18 blades over 16-18 months or so. I may be averaging a blade a month. Wow.
Great free ad for Dorco. Congratulations!
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
After some encouragement from members on this board, I switched to a straight razor several years back.

... Plus, I get the closest shaves ever.
I thought about trying a straight razor, then remembered the minor earthquake the nearby quarry creates when it sets off a blast.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdraft57 View Post
There is where I am heading after being forced to shave for 34 plus years (pic).
Then you could go to Walmart, get your picture taken and go Viral.

Walmart.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I have been using the G's Mach III for many years now. They are expensive, but I have found that a good rinse and drying them off extends the life SIGNIFICANTLY. When I was still in the AF, I shaved 5 days a week...without fail. Now, I shave every 2-3 days. One blade will last me EASILY about a month and a half.