Join Early Retirement Today

frugal work clothes
Old 10-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

frugal work clothes

I have worked blue collar jobs my whole life but due to a total hip replacement I have to start over with office work. I have no degree or experience so I was lucky to get a $13.50/hr call center job. I will have to wear business casual clothing. Any ideas on how to source office attire at reasonable prices? With a salary under $30K I can't spend big money for a new wardrobe but do need some acceptable business casual clothing. What do you think is the minimum acceptable amount of clothing? If it helps I am a thin, tall, 40 year old male. Thanks.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #2

Go to Kohl’s and get some khakis and some polo shirts. Shoes can probably be “walking” type shoes. Not exactly sneakers but usually a leather look with a soft sole. I can’t imagine a call center will care much as long as it’s not jeans or a tee shirt.

If you’re able to go a little nicer, go with some dockers or hagger slacks. Mostly, try them on and make sure they’ll be comfortable for you.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had an IT job that required "Business Casual". I wore jeans every day for 10+ years.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Go to Kohl’s and get some khakis and some polo shirts. Shoes can probably be “walking” type shoes. Not exactly sneakers but usually a leather look with a soft sole. I can’t imagine a call center will care much as long as it’s not jeans or a tee shirt.

If you’re able to go a little nicer, go with some dockers or hagger slacks. Mostly, try them on and make sure they’ll be comfortable for you.
Every Friday I will get an email detailing the dress code for the following week. If a client is coming thru then we have to wear slacks and a buttondown. With one particular client we have to wear a tie but that is only one day every couple months. The email I got for my first week said "no jeans and collared shirt required" M-W and "jeans ok with collared shirt" Th-F.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Costco or BJ's

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:57 PM   #6

Congrats on the new job. Since this is an office job, how do you know you will like it and stay? Don't go overboard!

- Check Goodwill or 2nd hand stores or even Craigslist for ties, button down, and pants/slacks.
- Kohl's has Croft & Barrow pants and shirts on sale most of the time. Entry level stuff can be $20 and under.
- Sam's Club and Costco has entry level Dress slacks and shirts for about $20 each too.

Good luck.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
Congrats on the new job. Since this is an office job, how do you know you will like it and stay? Don't go overboard!

- Check Goodwill or 2nd hand stores or even Craigslist for ties, button down, and pants/slacks.
- Kohl's has Croft & Barrow pants and shirts on sale most of the time. Entry level stuff can be $20 and under.
- Sam's Club and Costco has entry level Dress slacks and shirts for about $20 each too.

Good luck.
+1 Salvation Army and Goodwill have a lot of mens' dress clothing. Even Target has some really low prices on closeout merchandise.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have worked blue collar jobs my whole life but due to a total hip replacement I have to start over with office work. I have no degree or experience so I was lucky to get a $13.50/hr call center job. I will have to wear business casual clothing. Any ideas on how to source office attire at reasonable prices? With a salary under $30K I can't spend big money for a new wardrobe but do need some acceptable business casual clothing. What do you think is the minimum acceptable amount of clothing? If it helps I am a thin, tall, 40 year old male. Thanks.
I don't mean to get off point, could you post on how you like the call center job. I am in the same situation with blue collar work and now cannot do the work but inbound sales are availabe to me from home.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:03 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I don't mean to get off point, could you post on how you like the call center job. I am in the same situation with blue collar work and now cannot do the work but inbound sales are availabe to me from home.
It will be a few weeks before I am fully trained and working on my own. I won't know how I like it until i'm on my own for at least a full week. I will be making calls at my own pace rather than receiving calls which I think will be much better for me so that's good.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Outlet malls
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Costco has you covered.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:31 AM   #12

My ER wardrobe is entirely thrift shop and Ebay. I have a size and style and manufacturer I like. I purchased a bunch of pants on Ebay for an average of $8 each including shipping. Thrift shop were about $4 each. You have to be careful with thrift shop as some: wrinkle easily, have no breast pocket, missing a button, collars wearing thin, etc.

For shoes, you must go for comfort. I buy new, although I have picked up some NIB duplicates of workout shoes at Ebay for about 50% of retail.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #13

For a man, costco should work fine. If you're looking to grow a new career, remember you'll strive to dress slightly smarter than your average peer. If everyone else is in jeans and tee's, then khaki's and polo's.

Everyone else in polo's - get some button front shirts. Since you'll want to have minimal quantity when starting, get colors and patterns that don't stand out, but allow you a week's rotation.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aim for a "capsule wardrobe", a few good pieces where most mix and match. Online with "ThreadUp" is another source for used clothing.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #15

+3 on Koh!s.
Picked up some Croft and Barrow polos for $10 and kahkis for $, a pair of Dockers for $12. They don't look like they'll last long, but will give me a reason to toss them when I get a stain. Weird store though. One shelf had shirts for $20, same shirts on another area for $10.
Find a friend with a Kohls card who knows how to work their "cash" back game and you can save on brand names too.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #16

Just want to say good luck Aaron. You have been through the wringer
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I had an IT job that required "Business Casual". I wore jeans every day for 10+ years.
Same here. Collar shirts though, never quite made it to T-shirts. I did tend to walk around the office in my socks though. Ever since my days wearing construction boots for long hours, I've hated wearing shoes. I did put on my sneakers to go to meetings, or to the cafeteria or rest room. If anyone challenged me, I told them they're lucky I didn't show up in a bathrobe and slippers.

My point is, find out what's acceptable before you buy a bunch of stuff. And certainly go up one notch if you're bucking for a promotion. I did that for years. Toward the end I realized I didn't want my boss's job anyway, so the whole wardrobe thing became less important.

Even WalMart has clothing that suits the "business casual" category.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #18

X4 on looking at thrift stores for the clothing cheap to get you started out. Should be able to find decent khakis and I agree get some full button front oxford type shirts

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #19

A third +++ on Costco for biz casual attire. Costco was my go-to for the last 10 years or so of w*rk.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! I would go with goodwill type of places but I think they have days of the week when they lower prices so ask the when they have those.

If Kohl’s but they cost more.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote