Frustration

I use a GE 5 cup that I bought for 15 bucks on sale at WallMart. Try 1/2 regular, 1/2 decaf, it worked for me when regular was too much. Now, however, I limit myself to coffee in the morning, switch to water about 10am and don't have any problems.

It is frustrating, the lack of quality, in some products. On the other hand many have become very cheap......you don't fix them, you throw them away because it's cheaper to buy new than the cost of labor to have them repaired.......that's true of most printers.

You could buy one of the old coffee makers my Mom used 50 years ago. I think my Mom called it a perculator, nothing electric, nothing to break and DW tells me you can still buy at most department stores.

Good Luck, have fun, when you get frustrated you just make yourself unhappy.....I know, I do it to myself all the time.

packrat44 said:
I have 3 Norelco electric shavers that still work okay. However, 1 will not hold a charge and the other 2 will only hold a charge for about 4/5 days. I hate the thought of disposing of them simply because they were not made with the idea of replacing the rechargeable batteries. Maybe it is time to try soldering in new batteries.

I have done this for my electric toothbrush and mustache trimmer (2 devices :) ). I don't try to put the batteries inside; I have wires that go to an AA battery holder. Pro: you can up the voltage. My toothbrush has run fine at double speed for years.

PS I'm posting this on my iPod touch that is going to need a new battery soon.

I always read reviews when ordering stuff and haven't been disappointed.

On coffee--we went back to an old-fashion on- the- stove perculator. What a great cup of coffee!

You could buy one of the old coffee makers my Mom used 50 years ago. I think my Mom called it a perculator, nothing electric, nothing to break and DW tells me you can still buy at most department stores.

I'm selling one of these at a garage sale next weekend. It was a wedding present 30+ years ago. It goes on the stove top and does not use a paper filter. We used it for a while but it has been in storage for many years since we switched to a 4 cup Mr. Coffee electric.

BTW, I always overfilled my 4 cup coffeemaker and used an extra scoop of coffee grounds. When I looked online at replacing my last one I saw that they now sell a 5 cup version. Turns out it's the exact same unit that I have, but now they show a 5 cup mark, just about where I would overfill to.

I bought my current laptop off craigslist in 2003. The university student had decided to trade up to an iMac. He restored the HP to factory original XP condition. It has 4 MB of main and 40GB of disk. I use WD USB drives to store big stuff. Still going strong. I figure that we retirees can capitalize on the current generation's need to have the latest by buying their castoffs.

Printers are another story. I have an HP inkjet and a Kodak inkjet, one north and the other south. Both are also scanners. Color has been frustrating because we don't use it enough. So I use photofinishing for prints...

One thing about living in Mexico half the year is that there is always someone willing to take your castoffs and make them work again. I get stuff fixed all the time that would be a castoff up north. Including our 1993 Explorer with under 100K miles.

Back
Top Bottom