Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Have you considered a French Coffee Press? My son use to work in a coffee shop and knows way more about coffee than me and he says they make the best coffee.

Amazon.com: french coffee press
+!. Switched about 6 months ago. Will never go back to drip coffee. Takes a little longer, you do get some grinds in the finished product but it tastes better and you don't have to deal with filters

DD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
What this country needs is a good 5-cent cigar.

And yeah, you just can't buy a good buggy whip anymore !
And with so many of our politicians who deserve the receiving end.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #23

I have 3 Norelco electric shavers that still work okay. However, 1 will not hold a charge and the other 2 will only hold a charge for about 4/5 days. I hate the thought of disposing of them simply because they were not made with the idea of replacing the rechargeable batteries. Maybe it is time to try soldering in new batteries.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Traded in my old 17 year old LaserJet 4L for a $50 credit towards a HP1725 printer. 4L cost $500 in 1994 dollars and has a parallel interface, which none of our new computers have. The new one cost under $200 with the credit, is wireless and prints in color. Got good reviews too. I can live with it.
You can get a USB to parallel cable for a couple of bucks. I still use my 1994 Laserjet 4L, works on Vista.

I also have a Brother HL 2270 DL B&W laser wireless, which has worked flawlessly.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I have 3 Norelco electric shavers that still work okay. However, 1 will not hold a charge and the other 2 will only hold a charge for about 4/5 days. I hate the thought of disposing of them simply because they were not made with the idea of replacing the rechargeable batteries. Maybe it is time to try soldering in new batteries.
There used to be a place about five miles away where there was an old guy (maybe 80) who would rebuild norelco razors, change the battery etc.
The business is gone, and I read recently that Norelco has closed all local warranty service centers around the US leaving only a mail location. I looked up Norelco after warranty service and found the following

Battery replacement prices:Includes batteries, labor, cleaning and return shipping.
Norelco and Remington shavers $30 to $45

I know you can still buy blade sets for Norelco at the drug store....

Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
.............Battery replacement prices:Includes batteries, labor, cleaning and return shipping.
Norelco and Remington shavers $30 to $45...............

I've gotta believe anyone with a soldering gun can replace the battery, which I'm sure you can buy on line or at a battery store.

Amazon.com: Shaver Battery Pack fits most Norelco models & others: Health & Personal Care

Batteries Plus - Store Locator - Find a Batteries Plus Store
Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use a GE 5 cup that I bought for 15 bucks on sale at WallMart. Try 1/2 regular, 1/2 decaf, it worked for me when regular was too much. Now, however, I limit myself to coffee in the morning, switch to water about 10am and don't have any problems.

It is frustrating, the lack of quality, in some products. On the other hand many have become very cheap......you don't fix them, you throw them away because it's cheaper to buy new than the cost of labor to have them repaired.......that's true of most printers.

You could buy one of the old coffee makers my Mom used 50 years ago. I think my Mom called it a perculator, nothing electric, nothing to break and DW tells me you can still buy at most department stores.

Good Luck, have fun, when you get frustrated you just make yourself unhappy.....I know, I do it to myself all the time.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44
I have done this for my electric toothbrush and mustache trimmer (2 devices ). I don't try to put the batteries inside; I have wires that go to an AA battery holder. Pro: you can up the voltage. My toothbrush has run fine at double speed for years.

PS I'm posting this on my iPod touch that is going to need a new battery soon.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
PS I'm posting this on my iPod touch that is going to need a new battery soon.
I can't wait to see you run that thing at double speed
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I always read reviews when ordering stuff and haven't been disappointed.

On coffee--we went back to an old-fashion on- the- stove perculator. What a great cup of coffee!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
.......My toothbrush has run fine at double speed for years............

Do you have any tooth enamel left?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post

You could buy one of the old coffee makers my Mom used 50 years ago. I think my Mom called it a perculator, nothing electric, nothing to break and DW tells me you can still buy at most department stores.
I'm selling one of these at a garage sale next weekend. It was a wedding present 30+ years ago. It goes on the stove top and does not use a paper filter. We used it for a while but it has been in storage for many years since we switched to a 4 cup Mr. Coffee electric.

BTW, I always overfilled my 4 cup coffeemaker and used an extra scoop of coffee grounds. When I looked online at replacing my last one I saw that they now sell a 5 cup version. Turns out it's the exact same unit that I have, but now they show a 5 cup mark, just about where I would overfill to.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I bought my current laptop off craigslist in 2003. The university student had decided to trade up to an iMac. He restored the HP to factory original XP condition. It has 4 MB of main and 40GB of disk. I use WD USB drives to store big stuff. Still going strong. I figure that we retirees can capitalize on the current generation's need to have the latest by buying their castoffs.

Printers are another story. I have an HP inkjet and a Kodak inkjet, one north and the other south. Both are also scanners. Color has been frustrating because we don't use it enough. So I use photofinishing for prints...

One thing about living in Mexico half the year is that there is always someone willing to take your castoffs and make them work again. I get stuff fixed all the time that would be a castoff up north. Including our 1993 Explorer with under 100K miles.