Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
For the curious, I made about $30,000 off my blog last year (including an hour or so of consulting/freelancing per week). I posted about once per week. I used to spend a lot more time posting at ER forums than I do on my blog (if that tells you anything!). I don't think I'll make quite that much this year but the year is still young. Our spending was $24,000, so we are in the same position as Jeremy at GoCurryCracker - our spending is approximately covered by blog income.

Now to get to the $400,000 per year that MMM makes... Nah, sounds like work!
I think it's good that you're open and above-board about what you make from blogging. Maybe that speaks to the openness of younger people. If you were sneaky, you'd call it something else, like "teaching income".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I think it's good that you're open and above-board about what you make from blogging.
+1

Plus I'm relieved you haven't resorted to making your own rake like Jacob Fisker...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:34 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Plus I'm relieved you haven't resorted to making your own rake like Jacob Fisker...
Just think of the lost marketing opportunity: "Jake's Rakes", made in the USA, 100 percent recycled materials available preassembled or in a kit that's fun for the whole family! Available only through the blog....
Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
The problem people have I think is: have they in fact really "done it" when all the risk their yearly expenses put on their portfolio has been mitigated due to their blog income ? Yes they made the ER leap prior to their newfound blog "riches" but would they be ER-d some years down the road without the extra money ( and peace of mind ) that extra income provides? Suddenly you have <Ricky-Ricardo> got a lotta 'splaining to do ! </Ricky-Ricardo>

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
+1, in fact Mrs F held a job until a couple of months ago, so they were a one job and blog family and now they are a no job and blog family...for the article to say they are retired is not factual or complete. Every time I read an article for public consumption about someone I know or a subject I am very familiar with (such as farming) the more I realize well over 90% of these articles are just regurgitated crap.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #45
Administrator

I think it helps if we accept that other have accomplished whatever they have accomplished, without trying to define it and cram it into a little mental "retirement" cubbyhole of our own creation.

It's only human to try to compare others with ourselves, and perhaps articles like this make some of us feel "less than". They shouldn't, but I do think that happens sometimes.

No matter how you choose to define retirement, and no matter what your personal goals are when it comes to retirement, Justin and others have made some significant accomplishments by creating and living the lives of their dreams. I see no reason for our admiration of that fact to be diminished.

If Justin/FUEGO wasn't so doggone happy with his life just as it is right now, then I might feel differently. Instead I'll just repeat my congratulations and smile with him as I read about it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think it helps if we accept that other have accomplished whatever they have accomplished, without trying to define it and cram it into a little mental "retirement" cubbyhole of our own creation.

It's only human to try to compare others with ourselves, and perhaps articles like this make some of us feel "less than". They shouldn't, but I do think that happens sometimes.

No matter how you choose to define retirement, and no matter what your personal goals are when it comes to retirement, Justin and others have made some significant accomplishments by creating and living the lives of their dreams. I see no reason for our admiration of that fact to be diminished.

If Justin/FUEGO wasn't so doggone happy with his life just as it is right now, then I might feel differently. Instead I'll just repeat my congratulations and smile with him as I read about it.
This x1000. Retirement is exactly what a retiree makes of it...it makes no matter what others consider retirement. As far as using the term "retired" for an article...I think it boils down to the simple question; does the retiree HAVE to work? I am pretty sure that Justin doesn't have to work ever again...regardless of the blog.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think most people equate retirement with financial independence. If one stopped all 'work' (exchanging time for money) one could still pay all the bills straight through until death. If you are in a different situation, you are neither FI nor Retired, early or not. I know little about his finances, but if his $30k blog income is just 'extra' and his nest egg is sufficient for a 4% SWR, then yeah -- retired. Otherwise, no. Not retired. It's not about labeling someone, it's about how you define words. Words have meaning.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
It's not about labeling someone, it's about how you define words. Words have meaning.
That is so 20th century! (or maybe 19th, come to think on it.)

Ha
Old 03-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

A more accurate term for at least some of the ER bloggers would really be downshifting. If one has $1M and intends to live on 3 - 4% withdrawal, an extra $30K whatever a year in part-time income makes a big difference in lifestyle / financial security:

"Economically, work downshifts are defined in terms of reductions in either actual or potential income, work hours, and spending levels.[8] Following a path of earnings that is lower than the established market path is a downshift in potential earnings in favor of gaining other non-material benefits."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downshifting

Making an extra $30K for 50 years adds $1.5M to spending or NW.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #50

Quote:
.....For the curious, I made about $30,000 off my blog last year (including an hour or so of consulting/freelancing per week). I posted about once per week. I used to spend a lot more time posting at ER forums than I do on my blog (if that tells you anything!). I don't think I'll make quite that much this year but the year is still young......
Well I was looking at your blog, before reading here and might have clicked on a few links out of genuine interest, so who know..
Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm still waiting for my trees to grow enough to necessitate a rake. And at that point, I'll spend the $5-10 for one from Lowe's or Home Depot...

I may walk the ~2 miles to pick it up, so there's that little frugality bit, but no way would I spend $4 to make a rake I could buy for a few bucks more.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Nice to see news about active forum members: How I retired at 33 and so can you
Loved reading this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #53

[QUOTE=W2R;1714067]I think it helps if we accept that other have accomplished whatever they have accomplished, without trying to define it and cram it into a little mental "retirement" cubbyhole of our own creation.

Love this - and all the positiveness you share on ER.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:12 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I think most people equate retirement with financial independence. If one stopped all 'work' (exchanging time for money) one could still pay all the bills straight through until death. If you are in a different situation, you are neither FI nor Retired, early or not. I know little about his finances, but if his $30k blog income is just 'extra' and his nest egg is sufficient for a 4% SWR, then yeah -- retired. Otherwise, no. Not retired. It's not about labeling someone, it's about how you define words. Words have meaning.
I'll throw some numbers out there and let the forum pontificate a bit.

We spent $34,000 in 2014 and $24,000 in 2015, an average of $29,000 annual spending so far.

Our nest egg after setting aside some $ for the kids' college education and paying off our student loans is around $1,250,000.

We're spending at a 2.3% withdrawal rate when you completely ignore the blog income.

I increased our target spending for 2016 to $40,000 because we aren't spending all that we could (again, completely ignoring blog income). That represents a 3.2% withdrawal rate. These spending figures include income taxes (including taxes on the blog income!).

I haven't run firecalc lately, but I bet I'd get some decent results spending between 2.3-3.2% for 50-60 years.

The blog income is purely "extra income" in the sense that we don't need it for living expenses or even to increase our standard of living. Obviously it helps for peace of mind but I do very little in terms of actual work on the blog (I post less on my blog than I used to post on the ER forum while I was working!). I expect to maintain the blog while it's an interesting pastime and then ditch it once it's no longer of interest to me (by ditch, I mean sell, because apparently these things are worth 2-3x annual revenue). Whether this makes me still working, retired, semi-retired, downshifted, career renaissanced, or some other term of FIRE art, I'll leave to my fellow forumites.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whether this makes me still working, retired, semi-retired, downshifted, career renaissanced, or some other term of FIRE art, I'll leave to my fellow forumites.

Or FART, for short...

When I was 33, I had a negative net worth...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Fuego featured in story on CNBC web site
Old 04-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #56
gone traveling

Congrats Fuego.

I personally enjoy both your blog and posts here as well as those of GoCurryCracker.

I particularly like some of the analytical financial topics that you've both posted on ACA subsidies and the income cliff, and income tax strategies etc. I was not aware of the student loan situation so will go back and learn more ...

Like everything in life, take it all with a grain of salt.

The CNBC authors surely are not retired yet, probably have hardly a clue about LBYM lifestyles, and all media loves to sell the sizzle ...

Regardless of accuracies or inaccuracies it must be Great exposure and am sure this will help raise your blog income.

Reading the posts even here, an educated crowd that knows the intricacies of FIRE, there remain some doubters and naysayers.

So I ask the forum sphere: if it would be interesting to read a blog that was done by an early retiree in their 30s or 40s who had

no pension or lottery win or inheritance, had no huge college debt to repay, did not plan a "strategic" default of home or student loans, had no working spouse, had no side hustle or blog income, wasn't using the ACA systems subsidy loopholes, or making their own garden tools, collecting rain water, growing their own vegetables, walking or bicycling everywhere, regularly drank latte a day and despite those adversities still made it to FIRE.

Someone who just "did it" via hard work and luck... And they are truly (by even the laymans definition) retired early and financially independent ?

I wonder if there would be any interest. What makes a good blog?
Old 04-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
I wonder if there would be any interest. What makes a good blog?
In addition to substance, for me to return to a blog, needs good writing and, usually, actionable/useful for me. A consistent, unusual persona can help as well. I think the latter helped draw me back quite a few times to E.R.E. and MMM even though I have never been interested in following their paths.

What is the message that you add to the mix--and how best to advance that message? A good example is White Coat Investor--he doesn't offer new, earth shattering advice and doesn't make any effort to supplant Wade Pfau and the like in academic return analysis. But he serves a healthy market niche by incorporating fairly standard advice into a well written blog aimed at those with the unusual borrowing/earnings path of physicians. (and, again, consistent persona/voice)
Old 04-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have a buddy who says: "Why don't you create a blog? You have so many interests!"
and I say "Because I am retired!" so I have to resist making any editorial comments!

I have been featured in early retirement articles but I will save you the trouble.

OTOH whatever works is fine with me. I have a friend who is working harder at writing now than he ever did while working. Motivation counts for a lot.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #59

[QUOTE=ohyes;1714319]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Love this - and all the positiveness you share on ER.

Being one that has done a few posts on this thread that have likely seemed less than positive, let me say as "pope of the church of fire" that I duly canonize Fuego as FIRED with all the rights and privileges that entails. 😀 Joking aside I don't disagree with any of Fuego's posts re the blog income issue.

I think it's just best to be abnormally up front and center with things like blog income as they arise.

As far as making mental retirement cubbyholes, that's half the value of this forum ( to me anyways ) seeing what everyone's idea of fire is and then maybe
refining your own in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum