Join Early Retirement Today
Fun book for writers
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Fun book for writers

I've seen mentions in other threads that there are some avid writers on the forum, so I thought I'd share a fun book that I read recently: Novel in a Year, by Louise Doughty.

I have no intention of ever attempting a novel, but I've done a fair amount of professional writing and I found the book really interesting and fun to read. It's mainly a collection of Doughty's columns that ran in a UK newspaper over the course of a year, which included writing exercises, tips, and general thoughts. Very easy to read, and entertaining to see some of the readers' responses.

She doesn't really intend that you'd come away with a full novel at the end of the year, but that you make some progress. Or decide that you're not a novelist after all It gave me a new appreciation for what it must take to write a whole novel.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Thanks, youíve sold me on it! I donít write fiction but it sounds like fun. Anyway, Iíll take a sample along on my commute tomorrow. Thatís the only thing I miss from the w*rk day, a commute with lots of time to read.

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
When my daughter had braces, I had an idea that she and I would write a soft-food cookbook for kids with braces. I still think it's a great idea, but writing it would be too much like work.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote