Join Early Retirement Today

Funeral Question
Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Funeral Question

I have not had very many people I know pass away, so I have a funeral question to ask here.

How long after someone dies does the funeral usually take place? When are funeral arrangements usually finalized?

We had a trip planned for the holidays but now I think at least the two of us who were closest to the person who died should either stay in town next week or fly back for the funeral. I'm not sure what to plan on at this point. It was someone young so we are just kind of in shock right now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Usually the third day after death. Could be longer if burial is not local.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Lazarus giving funeral advice - sheesh!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #4

I like the idea of Lazarus giving funeral advice. Hopeful, really.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Administrator

If people are expected from out of town, if the person is famous and many people far and wide must be notified, and/or if the person is to be cremated and there is no visitation, but only a memorial service, it can be a week or more later IME.

Your local obituary notices should give you some idea as to what is most usual, if they state day of death and day of the funeral.

I am so sorry to hear of this sad death of this young person.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear of this sad death of this young person.
Thanks for your kind thoughts. I called the hospital this morning for a status and at first they said sure, we'll connect you to his nurse. Then when I told them his name I got this long pause and heard an intake of breath on the other line so I kind of knew then before they even said anything more. Then I kept getting transferred to different people so I knew I was going to end up talking to some kind of grief counselor. What a tough job that must be.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #7

Around here, most funerals are 2-3 days after the person's death...unless folks are traveling in from a great distance. An old friend of mine passed away in the wee hours yesterday in NC, and his funeral is Saturday a few miles from me in IL.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Administrator

There was one death and funeral mentioned on the news tonight. A Tulane Medical School professor drowned in Saturday's deluge, due to driving into a canal that was not visible because it was overflowing so badly. His body was recovered right away, but his funeral was this afternoon. So, that would be 5 days in this one particular case.

His death was a dreadful accident, and naturally many of his students and fellow faculty members wanted to attend the funeral. So, I would imagine that was the reason for the delay. He saved his wife's life before he drowned, and I can barely imagine what she has been through already.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Some religious traditions require a fairly quick burial, which can effect when the funeral is held.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I like the idea of Lazarus giving funeral advice. Hopeful, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Lazarus giving funeral advice - sheesh!
There was a split second delay in my comprehension of these 2 posts. You guys...

I believe the time between passing and funeral is dependent on the method of interment, i.e. standard coffin with ground burial, standard plus later cremation or immediate cremation only.
Please call the funeral director immediately (not the family ) to ask these kinds of questions.
I am sorry for your loss.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A Tulane Medical School professor drowned in Saturday's deluge, due to driving into a canal that was not visible because it was overflowing so badly.
What was the deluge? Is our news up here so "locally centred" that we need a Katrina to know you guys have a problem?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
What was the deluge? Is our news up here so "locally centred" that we need a Katrina to know you guys have a problem?
We have had over 26" of rain so far in December - - the rainiest month on record for us. And, 19" of rain has fallen since last Saturday. On Saturday, when that poor professor drowned, we had 8" of rain after 1 PM and 3" of it fell within one hour. Frank and I just stayed inside at his house because there was a foot of water in the street outside his house and reports on TV of more elsewhere. We did manage to go to a nearby restaurant later in the evening after it subsided, and although flood waters blocked us earlier, by 10 PM he was able to take me home (about a mile and a half from his house).

There has been some flooding in homes and businesses, but not as much as one might fear. Frank's house and my house remain dry. We have sunny, dry weather predicted today and tomorrow so I think we are done with it or nearly so.

It is GREAT to be retired with this going on! My former workplace is in an area that floods easily so getting to work would be hair-raising. I have just stayed home most of this week with a big grin on my face.

- - H. Melville, 1851