Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
People hear what they expect to hear.
Yes, that's very true. I think that's why most people don't even notice the kinds of errors I displayed above.

I do it, too. I record my piano lessons, and when I listen back, I've noticed that sometimes what I remember hearing is different from what the teacher actually said.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you guys suggesting that 'Rocket Surgery' is somehow incorrect?

Wow..is MY face red.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #263

Another example:
"But Obama also conceded there was much more work to do, adding "I don't think the country is stronger yet then it was when the economy was still booming and we didn't have the ". . .

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...?iref=obinsite

Either the president made a glaring grammatical error or he was misquoted by CNN Congressional Producer Deirdre Walsh.

Where I went to school that would have come back with a big red circle around it, even outside of English class.

Maybe they were thinking about rocket surgery or brain science.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Another example:
"But Obama also conceded there was much more work to do, adding "I don't think the country is stronger yet then it was when the economy was still booming and we didn't have the ". . .
You mean the "then" instead of "than?" If Obama was speaking, there's no way to know whether he said "then" or "than," so I assume the reporter just wrote the wrong one.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
The one that bugs me is when people use "myself" instead of "me".
I'm sure they just do it to avoid having to know whether they should use "I" or "me."

When someone says something like "Tom and me went to the store" I want to ask whether they would ever say "Me went to the store." People say "He asked Tom and I for some help" but would never say "He asked I for some help."

In elementary school I was taught to just eliminate the "Tom and" part to figure out which to use, but I found that that takes too long. If you're in the middle of a sentence, there isn't enough time to reword it in your head.

I find that it's quicker to just think about whether I'm dealing with the subject (e.g. Tom and I are going to do something) or the object (e.g. Something is going to be done to Tom and Me).

But the order of the words (whether you say "Me and Tom" or "Tom and me") isn't rocket surgery, so I don't know why anyone gets that wrong ("Me and Tom went to the store").

Of course, these are all arbitrary conventions...
Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You mean the "then" instead of "than?" If Obama was speaking, there's no way to know whether he said "then" or "than," so I assume the reporter just wrote the wrong one.
It is most likely the reporter got it wrong.

So many people write this way that it makes me wonder if they know the difference between then and than. It seems like most of the time when the wrong word is used, "then" is used where "than" should have been used.

When they speak, are they speaking "then" or "than"? Likely "then". That would likely be what they are thinking , also, and they would probably write "then" where they should write "than".

You're/your is also common. It seems like the people who get this wrong tend to use "your" where they should use "you're".

Big red circles.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
DW uses "six of one, half dozen of another" several times a week. In a conversation yesterday, she must have used it half dozen times. Other than that, she's perfect.
Are you sure it wasn't six times?

Quote:
A few times I've said "It's not rocket surgery," but I don't think anyone noticed, and if they did, they probably thought I just made a mistake.
Brain scientist doesn't have the same ring to it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Still, you don't have to be Alfred Einstein to learn them.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But the order of the words (whether you say "Me and Tom" or "Tom and me") isn't rocket surgery, so I don't know why anyone gets that wrong ("Me and Tom went to the store").

Weeeellll....it's not arbitrary if Tom is a rocket surgeon. And my friend Tom is a rocket surgeon!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Still, you don't have to be Alfred Einstein to learn them.
Alfred? Didn't do well in school, I heard tell.

His brother Albert, on the other hand......
Old 12-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #271

He lowered himself from the horse gingerly. Gingerly is not an adverb, it is an adjective. Should be "He lowered himself from the horse in a gingerly manner".
Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #272
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
He lowered himself from the horse gingerly. Gingerly is not an adverb, it is an adjective. Should be "He lowered himself from the horse in a gingerly manner".
According to dictionary.com, gingerly is an adverb:
Gingerly | Define Gingerly at Dictionary.com

It means "with great care or caution; warily."

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #273
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
He lowered himself from the horse gingerly. Gingerly is not an adverb, it is an adjective.
Perhaps in this case it is a proper name. The error could be simply one of capitalization, as you show correctly in your second sentence above.

Note: Unlike the song, this was not a horse with no name.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think you mispelled grammer...
OK, this is hilarious!

Inspired by your riposte, I did a google search on grammar versus grammer which turned some pretty funny sites, but the best one of all was Facebook offering to connect you with people who spell grammar as grammer!

People who spell Grammar as Grammer | Facebook
Community. Want to like or comment on this page? Want to interact with People who spell Grammar as Grammer? You need to join Facebook first.....

Incredible!

Oh, and the ad assigner (or whatever that kind of software is called) already found the page which proudly displays an ad for the book English Grammar for Dummies!

Audrey
Old 12-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #275
Give me a forum ...

I probably told this story, but I was involved in creating an educational computer game called "The Grammar Examiner."

When getting ready to ship, we discovered that one of the review blurbs on the box had the word spelled as "grammer.". We solved it with a sticker.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
According to dictionary.com, gingerly is an adverb:
Gingerly | Define Gingerly at Dictionary.com

It means "with great care or caution; warily."
You're right, of course, W2R. And, it turns out that the word "gingerly" can be used as an adjective as well. And, apparently, there is an adjective "ginger". I found the following discussion of "gingerly " at "languagehat.com", which I found very interesting. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- GINGER(LY). Geoff Nunberg has a post at Language Log on the word gingerly: a NY Times story on Falluja included the statement "it was a gingerly first step," which pleased him by its proper use of gingerly as an adjective [thanks to Tim May for catching my original misstatement!]; then he had second thoughts about his idea of proper use: Maybe I should throw in the towel on this one, I thought, but then began to wonder whether there was ever actually a towel for me to be holding in the first place. In defense of the usage, gingerly began its life as an adverb. It was formed from the adjective ginger, "dainty or delicate," and the OED gives citations of its use as an adverb right up to the end of the 19th century -- the adjectival use appeared in the 16th century. And unlike most other adjectives in -ly, like friendly or portly, gingerly has an adverbial meaning, so that it can only apply to nominals denoting actions (like "step" in Ekholm and Schmidt's article); otherwise it requires a clumsy periphrasis like "in a gingerly way." Moreover, Merriam-Webster's exhaustive Dictionary of English Usage gives no indication that anybody has ever objected to the use of the word as an adverb. But the adjective ginger has been obsolete for a long time, and it's notable that nobody is tempted to back-form it anew, as in "his ginger handling of the question," which is what you'd expect if the adverbial gingerly were really analyzed as composed of the root ginger plus the derivational suffix -ly. What we seem to have here, rather, is a haplology (or "haplogy," as some linguists can't resist calling it), the process which gave us Latin nutrix in place of the predicted *nutritrix and which leads people to say missippi instead of mississippi. Gingerly is just the way the mental lexicon's gingerlyly comes out on the tongue or the page. That's natural enough, but there's something to be said for insisting that the word be used as an adjective, as one of the small obeisances we make to the capriciousness of grammar. (Followup here: it seems people do in fact use the back-formation ginger as an adjective, though not very often.) While I love the capriciousness of grammar, I think this battle has been lost, tradition giving way to convenience. ------------------------------------
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #277

I saw one on one of those humor sites the other day where a girl posted that she had to get her kid out of the house to play, as he was becoming "cost of phobic".
I collect homophones as a minor hobby, but this one was especially awesome.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I saw one on one of those humor sites the other day where a girl posted that she had to get her kid out of the house to play, as he was becoming "cost of phobic".
I collect homophones as a minor hobby, but this one was especially awesome.
On Kijiji today someone is advertising an outdoor table with 'Rod Iron' legs.

Oh, what language hath wrought.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #279
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
On Kijiji today someone is advertising an outdoor table with 'Rod Iron' legs.
Brings back memories of this classic thread: Seen on Craigslist

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Brings back memories of this classic thread: Seen on Craigslist
Before my time here......maybe the seller traverses the continent selling Rod Iron items?