Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've met zoology major who pronounced it "zoo-ology" and realtor who said he worked at a "real-ity.". How does that happen?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #302
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've met zoology major who pronounced it "zoo-ology" and realtor who said he worked at a "real-ity.". How does that happen?
They probably started as sub-mare-iner nyoocyoolar engineers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #303
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
He meant to say he was working to comprehend reality.

Ha
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #304
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Mercedes "less doors" commercial bothers me.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #305
Full time employment: Posting here.

It seems that I hear more and more people pronouncing the word "forward" as FO-ward. I think every single person on the Today show does that. Drives me crazy.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #306
Administrator

From our local newspaper's website at New Orleans Mardi Gras 2012 | News, Photos, Videos, & More - NOLA.com under Mardi Gras Parade Schedule:

Quote:
There are no more parades, Mardi Gras is passed

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
From our local newspaper's website at New Orleans Mardi Gras 2012 | News, Photos, Videos, & More - NOLA.com under Mardi Gras Parade Schedule:

Know spends the next fo-ty days re-pintin'!

My favorite NOLA experience was one of my first:

[ronocnikral enters subway and orders a sandwich and the person preparing the food is missing 40% of her fake fingernails]
-sandwich artist: how you want it?
-ronocnikral: sorry?
-sandwich artist: dressed?

I finally figured out what she was getting at....
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #308

This is truly a very unique thread.

Also, I don't like the way the Media Elite measure everything in "football fields". Whatever happened to feet, yards, acres?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #309

Your / You're ... again.

Edit to add: Same site also covers Then / Than.

youryoure, destupidifying the masses
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #310

"Pricepoint" instead of "price".
Old 02-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #311

Pock Eeee Stahn instead of Pakistan.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #312
Give me a forum ...

I've always been fascinated by how automated typesetting programs used by newspapers will sometimes hyphenate words in the most bizarre ways.

My all time favorite is one I saw about 40 years ago. There was an article in the local paper about some sort of sports activity, and the word "warmups" was broken at the end of a line to:

war-mups

I immediately had this vision of Kermit the frog in a suit of armor striding across a bloody battlefield. The image has never left me.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #313

Just read through a lot of these posts and remembered that again yesterday, my SIL used her word "Chester-drawers" for the piece of furniture.

Also, from some of the posts, I was reminded that somewhere I read or heard that the English language is difficult to learn in the written form because so many words are spelled the same that have different meanings. Like the word close. Or the words that are spelled differently and pronounced the same, like piece and peace, right and write. So, one has to see the word in context before knowing how the word is spelled and/or pronounced, such as "close the door". Guess it's simple when you are brought up with the language but how would one explain this while teaching English to a Japanese person?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #314

Saw a pic of an elephant safari in India....which led me to check out this link:

Elephant Back Safari

Once in, I started laughing and reading aloud to my wife.....this was just one of my favorites:

Quote:
Once you have spotted a Tiger, there will be a hush silence, and you will be thrilled with stark amazement. Mere his looks will excite you immensely with goosepimples running too riot in your body. But, you don't need to worry. They won’t harm you until you disturb them.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #315

"Ramping up" used for "increasing". As in "The candidate is ramping up his campaigning in Iowa this week". You hear it in news a lot, but almost never in real conversation.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #316

Beginning the answer to a question with the word "so". You only hear this on NPR radio stations.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #317

So, the temperatures have been really ramping up lately. Is that global warming or what?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #318
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
"Ramping up" used for "increasing". As in "The candidate is ramping up his campaigning in Iowa this week". You hear it in news a lot, but almost never in real conversation.
We used this term all the time at work. As in "We need to ramp up production on those assembly lines; we need to ramp up our efforts at cost-reduction; demand is ramping up on xyz products'. I don't think anything of it when I hear it in normal conversation. These things don't normally increase as a step function, so ramping up seems pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Beginning the answer to a question with the word "so". You only hear this on NPR radio stations.
I noticed that listening to Science Friday podcasts. Seems that many scientist types would start explaining something.... 'So, if we place this in a vacuum.... So, if we were to extrapolate... ' I don't know if it is more with science types, maybe it is better than ' Ummmm, bla, bla, bla '.

-ERD50
Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I noticed that listening to Science Friday podcasts. Seems that many scientist types would start explaining something.... 'So, if we place this in a vacuum.... So, if we were to extrapolate... ' I don't know if it is more with science types, maybe it is better than ' Ummmm, bla, bla, bla '.

-ERD50
And far better than "you know"
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #320

walla instead of voila