Funny/annoying grammatical mistakes and odd neologisms

redundancies: while preparing the thanksgiving mashed potato (once mashed it becomes just the one potato, don't you know), i had to log on to report a kennel club affected announcement which struck me odd "...such a great sense of presence" which could only have been made worse by saying "presented such a great sense of presence."

Bumping this up:

I'd mentioned I'd heard 'unthawed' back in September.

Recently the local news was interviewing a local firefighter about the cause of a fire.

"Homeowner was using a blowtorch to dethaw the pipes."

I've resisted posting on this thread to this point but I've seen this phrase/word used incorrectly three times in the past couple of days: "make due".

If we still have month left over at the end of the money, we make do, not make due...although I sometimes want to make dew.

sapient vs. sentient

All beings are sentient beings (check with your local Buddhists)

A smaller number are sapient.

ta,
mew

I have seen "Sorry for the inconvience" signs in stores several times. Once I asked a store worker what an inconvience was. She didn't know.

Its unappropriate two tell people what there grammar should be. Irregardless of weather your smarter then them. :)

True story: When I first started learning Engrish, I always wondered why everyone kept talking about their grandmas in class. I thought, "Those grandma stories are nice, but can't we move on to some new topic?"

I've resisted posting on this thread to this point but I've seen this phrase/word used incorrectly three times in the past couple of days: "make due".

If we still have month left over at the end of the money, we make do, not make due...although I sometimes want to make dew.

Somehow that reminds me of the Karnak joke "What collects on your dippity in the morning?"

Also, I can honestly say I never in my life had a month left over at the end of my money.

Anyone with grand kids and "technically inclined" kids that "text message each other". Now there is a totally new language - takes a lot of study to see what is being said. Eventually, they will be implanting the cell phones at birth.

make do da?

the correctest gramma yet:

“everything was mighty satisfaction...”

YouTube - Zippity

My pet peeve is people who use 'less' when they mean 'fewer' as in: "there were less people in the store today"

here's a tasty one:

whole hardily (for whole-heartedly, I assume)

Also, I have spotted a couple of "illicit"s where "elicit" should have been used. I need to keep a text window open just to capture these because I have seen some eye-openers that I forget now.

We wouldn't even have this thread if people could follow these simple rules:

Don't use no double negative.

Make each pronoun agree with their antecedent.

Join clauses good, like a conjunction should.

About them sentence fragments.

When dangling, watch your participles.

Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

Just between you and I, case is important too.

Don't write run-on sentences they are hard to read.

Don't use commas, which aren't necessary.

Try to not ever split infinitives.

Its important to use your apostrophe's correctly.

Proofread your writing to see if you any words out.

Correct spelling is absoluteley essential.

That's funny, Harley.

Same as many others, I have committed some of the above offenses. I have tried to be careful and often went back to correct the mistakes I could find. In an impromptu setting like this, I tend to use a more colloquial style and sprinkle some emoticons to be sure the readers know I am just joking or teasing. We are not writing a dissertation or a peer-reviewed journal article after all. It appears some may be bothered by the informal style. It's tough to please them all.

"between you and I"

:mad:

Think about it: Between I?

Back
Top Bottom