Funny/annoying grammatical mistakes and odd neologisms

needed a place to park this one: "self diluted"

"I don't believe people were so self diluted to believe..."

As someone recently told me about our Prez: "To (sic) many people believe his dribble..."

needed a place to park this one: "self diluted"

"I don't believe people were so self diluted to believe..."

I have always taken "self diluted" persons with a grain of salt.

I still see a lot of posters here using "it's" (the short form of "it is") instead of the possessive adjective its. Among all mistakes, it is the most common and has been committed by writers with higher education too. I just don't get it.

By the way, long time no post! Same as others, I would like to see an update of life in Italy in general. :greetings10:

Ah, yes, homophone land! Here are a few from my classmates discussion questions.

As I eluded to in my post, the fact that users can contribute to Wikipedia regardless of their knowledge, education or information, is a little scary.

[FONT=&quot]So of course I could easily live without my wireless mouse, but I have a laptop and I don't know if it's because I've used a desktop computer for so long that I can't get used to the mouse pad on it. Plus with having young kids in the house it makes it so convenient to have no chords. [/FONT]

I am very thankful for air conditioners. This may seem odd, but I am a very hot natured person and for me not to have air, I think I would parish.

The writer organizes the information in a logical manor.

Aren´t some of us here in Spain fed up with our misuse of of a lot of your American English words!!:mad:

Older couple were heard saying they like to relax in their "reclimbers".
She had recently been in for her annual "monogram".

Also we should never confuse the affluent with effluent.

My Saturday afternoon was spent rewriting a project report, because the information provided by the person responsible was written in such verbose, unclear and repetitive language. And it was all in the wrong order; effect preceded cause, etc.

These are my five pet peeves of the week:

• Taking a "peak" at the data
  • Inappropriate use of i.e. in place of e.g.
  • Failure to differentiate between colons and a semicolons
  • Sentences without verbs
  • Improperly placed commas
Coming from across the pond, I find that a significant proportion of North Americans, even if university educated, lack an understanding of the origin, derivation and proper construction of words and sentences in English. It pains me to see the language mangled so. Conversely, it is a joy to read a highly literate text of any kind.

Pardon me if I sound pompous. Rant over!

Many years ago, when I worked for the US Army, I was selected to gather info for a year's history. One of the directors did not understand sentences. Minimum should be subject and verb.

Time to reactivate this thread.

Using "then" where "than" is needed.

"Your" instead of "you're" -- your is possessive, and you're is a contraction of "you are".

Spreadsheet is one word.

Time to reactivate this thread.

Using "then" where "than" is needed.

"Your" instead of "you're" -- your is possessive, and you're is a contraction of "you are".

Spreedsheet is one word.

Spreadsheet.:facepalm:

"Spreadsheet" is a compound noun, formed from the two words "spread" and "sheet". Such compounds can generally be spelled with a space between the words, or a hyphen, or nothing. Which is used is an arbitrary convention.

Two words versus one is way too complex for most people.

Back
Top Bottom