Funny/annoying grammatical mistakes and odd neologisms

i know what you mean; i prefer "no prob".

i say it but it never made sense to me to use "you're welcome" as the reciprocal courtesy of "thank you". i understand thank you. but welcome (will come) is a greeting of arrival. so why would anyone who has just been thanked say "you've arrived!"?

I figure it uses the meaning of welcome as in "you're welcome to it."

My motto is embrace the universe- who knows but that some elements of it may embrace me in return. :)

Hey. I follow the damn rules, so everyone else should too!

From CNN today:

The White House had been taken a mostly hard line during the negotiations with Congress

I don't know which is worse, the "taken" typo, or the "mostly hard line."

good catch on most, but, combined, i suspect the "taken" reveals more than a typo.

as we think with language, often it shows confused thinking among other characteristics. here it looks to me like the writer either misplaced mostly (the white house mostly had taken a hard line) or feared coming off as affected (the white house had taken a most hard line) and without resolution to whatever was causing that inner conflict, fused the "had taken a (most) hard line" with "(mostly) had been (taking) a hard line" to wind up with "had been taken a mostly hard line".

in any case, the taken would be less of a typo and more of a wrong word.

of course, another (simpler) explanation is that an editor chopped up a writer's words to fit a space, screwing up both the thought & its execution in the process.

speaking of fun with words, how interesting that "execution" refers both to the life & to the death of the performance.

I figure it uses the meaning of welcome as in "you're welcome to it."

thank you. that helps a little. let me see: "i've arrived to it", nope, never mind; i'm still lost with that one. while i realize that welcome has long since before my arrival taken on the meaning, as defined by webster, "to accept with pleasure the occurrence" that doesn't help me resolve my gut feeling that "you've arrived!" expresses "being welcomed" any better than "not a problem".

Hey. I follow the damn rules, so everyone else should too!

as long as i'm not filling out a job application or handing in an exam to be graded, as long as i'm not hurting anyone, or for various other reasons, as long as i can get my point across, i'll be following my own rulz. thank you, you're welcome, no prob, man.

new one: "leveraged to the tilt" .. "in debt to the tilt"

a pinball machine tilts at the hilt.

i've got one i was hoping would die out as quickly as it came into fashion but lately i've heard it even from smart people, the pretentious pause: "that being said".

when someone says to me "that being said", i interrupt to ask "what did you say?" so that they have to say all over again what they've already said. if they get upset with me that i'm asking what was said i retort that they shouldn't be pointing in their sentence to what they just said as if i hadn't been listening.

in writing, instead of "that being said" how about trying a semicolon. or just surprise us with a fresh sentence. in speaking, how about taking a breath.

Really this is all a mute point, but learning it could be a blessing in the skies.

Here's something interesting: do nouns with irregular plural forms maintain the irregular form when pluralized as part of another word?

Portugese men of war?

I would say "I saw a Portuguese man o' war, and another one over there." :)
Or, more likely, "I saw some of those blue blob thingies on the beach."

I always have trouble with the odd plurals.

The electronics store had a shelf of Sony Walkmen for sale. :p

on googling, i'm finding it both hyphenated or apostrophe'd <wink>, though i also found it, no doubt playing safe but confused, both: "Pacific Man-o'-war".

still. portuguese man-of-wars. good one, tiuxiu.

The Portuguese Man-of-War: A Dangerous Ocean Organism of Hawaii

The man-of-war ranges or occurs most commonly...

the man-of-wars range or occur most commonly...

with the verb bringing sense to the word.

How about irregular plural combined with branding?

"I almost bought a Toro lawn mower, then decided hey might as well check out all the John Deers they have in the next aisle."

The data is wrong

The data is wrong

at first i thought you were getting at something like "the facts are wrong" (when proven otherwise) as in: fact is, the earth is flat, not.

Data are plural.

but sorry, not quite...
webster says:
Main Entry: da·ta Pronunciation: \ˈdā-tə, ˈda- also ˈdä-\ Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction Usage: often attributive Etymology: Latin, plural of datum Date: 1646 1 : factual information (as measurements or statistics) used as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or calculation <the data is plentiful and easily available — H. A. Gleason, Jr.> <comprehensive data on economic growth have been published — N. H. Jacoby> 2 : information output by a sensing device or organ that includes both useful and irrelevant or redundant information and must be processed to be meaningful 3 : information in numerical form that can be digitally transmitted or processed

usage Data leads a life of its own quite independent of datum, of which it was originally the plural. It occurs in two constructions: as a plural noun (like earnings), taking a plural verb and plural modifiers (as these, many, a few) but not cardinal numbers, and serving as a referent for plural pronouns; and as an abstract mass noun (like information), taking a singular verb and singular modifiers (as this, much, little), and being referred to by a singular pronoun. Both constructions are standard. The plural construction is more common in print, perhaps because the house style of some publishers mandates it.
underlining emphasis mine

again, this is where you have to look at how language changes with usage over time.

OK to say "A half hour."

OK to say "Half an hour."

But not "A half an hour."

at first i thought you were getting at something like "the facts are wrong" (when proven otherwise) as in: fact is, the earth is flat, not.

but sorry, not quite...
webster says:

underlining emphasis mine

again, this is where you have to look at how language changes with usage over time.

Lazy, I always learn something from your posts. The singular use of data appears to be an American phenomenon. My European origin explains why I find it irritating.

AskOxford: Is 'data' singular or plural?

"Strictly speaking, data is the plural of datum, and should be used with a plural verb (like facts). However, there has been a growing tendency to use it as an equivalent to the uncountable noun information, followed by a singular verb. This is now regarded as generally acceptable in American use, and in the context of information technology. The traditional usage is still preferable, at least in Britain, but it may soon become a lost cause."

The traditional usage is still preferable, at least in Britain, but it may soon become a lost cause."

Most everything near and dear to the collective heart of this thread is a lost cause. :)

Ha

champions of lost causes

unchartered waters: water upon, under or within which no one has yet secured a lease

de facto double negatives expressed along a timeline (which i often quite enjoy)
within which no one has yet secured a lease (formally improper)
within which no one has secured a lease (corrected--redundancy removed)
within which anyone has yet secured a lease (proper)

de facto double negatives expressed along a timeline (which i often quite enjoy)
within which no one has yet secured a lease (formally improper)
within which no one has secured a lease (corrected--redundancy removed)
within which anyone has yet secured a lease (proper)

I won't comment on the others, but if you use number 3 I hope you are trying to confuse people because very likely you will.

If I understand the idea you are trying to get across I think a clear and also correct phrase would be" within which anyone is yet to secure a lease."

i have been searching for but can not find a rule against my usage which is common enough according to a google search of "anyone has yet" per the following examples:

"anyone has yet managed to come up with"
not--anyone is yet to manage to come up with

"I don't think anyone has yet adressed the question"
not--anyone is yet to address the question"

"Frankly I don't care if anyone has yet fallen prey to these changes"
not--anyone is yet to fall prey to these changes

so while "within which anyone has yet secured a lease" & "within which anyone is yet to secure a lease" might be equal in meaning they are not equal in succinctness. just like 2 + 5 = 1 + 2 + 3 + 1: which side of that equation is less confusing and more precise?

where both phrases say the same thing, then, according to strunk & white, the rules i try to follow are to "make every word tell" & "omit needless words". unless of course i'm being silly and then anything goes.

i have been searching for but can not find a rule against my usage which is common enough according to a google search of "anyone has yet" per the following examples:

"anyone has yet managed to come up with"
not--anyone is yet to manage to come up with

Well, you have pretty much exhausted my pedantry. Have it however you like it.

Ha

A couple of animal-related ones found recently:

"hair-brained"

and (this is a goodie)

"goose pumps"

I'm with your dad. :D Irregardless is second only to "could care less" in the teeth-grinding category.

Here is my pet annoyance:

Is it not true...... blah blah..?

Why not say: is it true.... or is it false......

Back
Top Bottom